Empire's ALIEN COVENANT Exclusive Cover, and Image Scans Revealed!!

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Apr 15, 2017, 12:04:43 AM

Author
Empire's ALIEN COVENANT Exclusive Cover, and Image Scans Revealed!! (Read 143,276 times)

Hard-R

Quote from: ReluctantNerd on Apr 18, 2017, 07:19:01 PM
The scorpion tail thing is just another Juggernaut type ship flying vertically IMO... This ship just has the control dome very close to the end of an arm...

Good call
But who's piloting that?

cliffhanger

yep, and it looks exeggerated huge because it's closer to the camera

ReluctantNerd

yep, it looks big because of that.
Spoiler
We've heard some stories of the Juggernaut "linking" with another ship (or ships). My guess is that because the Giger design had a fork type end and a hammer type end (which makes it weird and alien to our idea of a craft, because asymmetrical) the explain-it brigade in charge came up with the idea that it must link up with something. And so now it does. But we'll see.
[close]

SM

Quote from: Elder-wolf on Apr 18, 2017, 01:27:31 PM
Something i have always wrecked my head with is, why do they always drop the amazing scripts and first or second initial drafts of alien films? I mean alien 3 the original draft was fantastic.. scary as hell and introduced some amazing new aliens, the beluga alien if i am not mistaking? And it was far darker are more gruesome that the actual decided draft.. alien 3 was the weakest for me.. and nkw the same with prometheus, they dropped the first draft and second, now i am wondering what kind of drafts we could have got in covenent, is this one the weakest one we are about to see? Or the strongest. Just never understood why they dropped the best drafts.

Which Alien 3 draft?  Anchorpoint v1, Anchorpoint v2, Twohy's prison, Eric Red's mid-west space station, Ward & Fasano's monks, or Giler, Hill, Ferguson and Pickett's rapists and murderers?

They general don't use those initial drafts because they need a lot more work before going in front of a camera.  Alien was miles better than any of O'Bannon's Star Beast drafts.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Almost every Alien 3 draft other than Gibson's was f**ked AFAIC - and Gibson's 1st is just so-so in hindsight, a bug hunt. Ward's was visually striking and innovative but I didn't care for the story. Red's was bizarre and I seem to recall finding it interesting but weird and stupid in places - I haven't read it in years and I know he disowned it. Gibson's first I dug as an Aliens-loving kid, and today I find it fun and interesting but a bit conventional - I haven't read the second but I will be doing so soon, I hear it's good. Anyway, it's still more than I can say about the others I've read. I am curious about Twohy's, which I also have sitting on my HD to read.

The final film was a rushed, subpar pastiche of other malformed ideas IMO. They never took enough time to nail a real story that fully worked, all they cared about was making a date so they just played it cheap and rushed ahead with 'prison planet using existing construction'. For a movie of this caliber that's inexcusable.

Anthony

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 18, 2017, 08:33:07 PM
Almost every Alien 3 draft other than Gibson's was f**ked AFAIC - and Gibson's 1st is just so-so in hindsight, a bug hunt. Ward's was visually striking and innovative but I didn't care for the story. Red's was bizarre and I seem to recall finding it interesting but weird and stupid in places - I haven't read it in years and I know he disowned it. Gibson's first I dug as an Aliens-loving kid, and today I find it fun and interesting but a bit generic - I haven't read the second but I will be doing so soon, I hear it's good. Anyway, it's still more than I can say about the others I've read. I am curious about Twohy's, which I also have sitting on my HD to read.

The final film was a rushed, subpar pastiche of other malformed ideas IMO. They never took enough time to nail a real story that fully worked, all they cared about was making a date so they just played it cheap and rushed ahead with 'prison planet using existing construction'. For a movie of this caliber that's inexcusable.

Never forget that Eric Red's draft had a spaceship turn into a giant Xenomorph.

SpeedyMaxx

Honestly? That'd at least be different, even if Eric Red is kind of nuts. I'll have to read it again.

Anthony

IMO, if they went forward with that draft, it would be worse (and more stupid) than cloning Ripley in Resurrection.

Elder-wolf

@SM

It was the david twohy script i was most interested in.. the type of aliens that were in it.. gibsons one  was not bad but it seemed twohy had more of a feel.. the beluga, i mean how do you escape that or the alien that can use it's acid to go through doors and walls at will. Just seemed like it would have been more freaky and also the fact there woukd be xenomorphs fighting one another. Although gibson did use the airborne idea of infection which seems to be taking up by ridley as of late.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

To me the weirder and freakier the ideas in the franchise the better. (I even mostly like Resurrection despite its schizoid tone, Newborn and alien love scene included, so discount me at your will.) Which is why I am a bit lukewarm on Covenant's story, though it looks fantastic stylistically and I expect to have a good time - just seems like it ultimately comes down to another alien bug hunt. So even Eric Red's possibly substance-induced ideas of a living alien spaceship (I'll have to re-read, I don't remember that) are kind of fun in theory.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 18, 2017, 09:47:05 PM
To me the weirder and freakier the ideas in the franchise the better. (I even mostly like Resurrection despite its schizoid tone, Newborn and alien love scene included, so discount me at your will.) Which is why I am a bit lukewarm on Covenant's story, though it looks fantastic stylistically and I expect to have a good time - just seems like it ultimately comes down to another alien bug hunt. So even Eric Red's possibly substance-induced ideas of a living alien spaceship (I'll have to re-read, I don't remember that) are kind of fun in theory.

I think there's going to be a good deal of weird ideas in Covenant, even though the story does feel very grounded.

Anthony

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 18, 2017, 09:47:05 PM
To me the weirder and freakier the ideas in the franchise the better. (I even mostly like Resurrection despite its schizoid tone, Newborn and alien love scene included, so discount me at your will.) Which is why I am a bit lukewarm on Covenant's story, though it looks fantastic stylistically and I expect to have a good time - just seems like it ultimately comes down to another alien bug hunt. So even Eric Red's possibly substance-induced ideas of a living alien spaceship (I'll have to re-read, I don't remember that) is kind of fun.

I respect your opinion. I just think that one of the appealing things about the series is how it manages to feel like it could happen in real life. Yeah, an Alien bursting out of your chest may be fictional, but we also live in a world with Cordyceps fungi, which basically turns ants into zombies. IDK, I'm just not a fan when the series goes off the walls.

Again, that's just what I think. And I'm fine with anyone liking Resurrection. That's your opinion after all.

SM

Quote from: Elder-wolf on Apr 18, 2017, 09:38:40 PM
@SM

It was the david twohy script i was most interested in.. the type of aliens that were in it.. gibsons one  was not bad but it seemed twohy had more of a feel.. the beluga, i mean how do you escape that or the alien that can use it's acid to go through doors and walls at will. Just seemed like it would have been more freaky and also the fact there woukd be xenomorphs fighting one another. Although gibson did use the airborne idea of infection which seems to be taking up by ridley as of late.

I don't remember a 'beluga' but yeah the Alien that dislocated it's body so it could squeeze through narrow gaps could've been cool.

The rest of the script was terribly inspiring from memory though (and to be fair it was only a first draft and needed a lot of work).  The ending with the Alien being impaled on an antenna or something on the front of a ship was pretty lack lustre.

echobbase79

Quote from: SM on Apr 18, 2017, 09:59:58 PM
@SM

I don't remember a 'beluga' but yeah the Alien that dislocated it's body so it could squeeze through narrow gaps could've been cool.

The rest of the script was terribly inspiring from memory though (and to be fair it was only a first draft and needed a lot of work).  The ending with the Alien being impaled on an antenna or something on the front of a ship was pretty lack lustre.

They were actually going to use that idea for Requiem when one of the Alien's squeezes itself through Wolf's security field.

Anthony

Anthony

Quote from: SM on Apr 18, 2017, 09:59:58 PM
@SM

I think he's referring to the Beluga-Xenomorph from the Engineers draft of Prometheus. But I haven't read the Twohy draft, so maybe there was something like that in that script as well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed