In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,411,800 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

If someone tempts fate, don't be surprised when fate takes them up on the offer.  These people can't say they weren't warned.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 14, 2020, 10:25:37 PM
Oh yeah ? Care to explain what this meant then. ? Or is it just me misunderstanding things ? Again ?

Spoiler

[close]
I did, before. It's basically what the pastor himself said -- it reflects his own dismissive attitude to the very real possibility that holding his services could kill people. It does not say he deserves to die.

SM

SM

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 14, 2020, 10:25:37 PM
Oh yeah ? Care to explain what this meant then. ? Or is it just me misunderstanding things ? Again ?

Spoiler

[close]

Yes you are misunderstanding.  As SiL has outlined.

Some people - some on this very site - have stupidly dismissed the dangers of Covid-19, despite over 100,000 people being dead.  I am mocking their stupidity; not downplaying their deaths.

Gr33n M4n

Gr33n M4n

The Klingons were warned...

Huggs

Huggs

Life where I live is unchanged because there was nowhere to go and nothing to do in the first place.

The only place to eat is 1 pizza shop that seats about 6 people, and there's never anybody in it, never has been. I've used the drive through for the last 4 years. And almost nobody goes to church anymore, which is probably why the one church fought to stay open so long, so the preacher can get paid.

Life is still 99% normal, but that's just a luxury of location. But we're not going around licking toilet seats and holding mass. Most people wouldn't lick a damn toilet seat when life was perfect.

Quote from: Gr33n M4n on Apr 14, 2020, 11:10:13 PM
The Klingons were warned...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EnchantingHollowAustraliansilkyterrier-size_restricted.gif

The klingons underestimated Kirk's knack for cheating.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Apr 14, 2020, 09:54:39 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 14, 2020, 08:13:34 PM

I think I'm with Kradan on this one.

https://media.tenor.com/images/b8c672b382c08a88f95fb3d8d0262ad9/tenor.gif
How are either crossing a line? The first was referencing the contemptuous and dismissive attitude the pastor had to dying, the second is about seeing people making misinformed decisions in the face of a dangerous situation and refusing expert advice.

Is just ... Talking about death crossing a line or something?

I just wouldn't personally dismiss any of these people with an Rocky IV "If he dies, he dies" Ivan Drago meme. Because Drago is saying in that line that he doesn't give a sh*t if Creed dies. To me personally, I wouldn't post a meme like that about anyone dying, from a religious zealot, to the mentally ill, to my worst enemy. But that's just me. It's a difference of opinion, but the reasoning is sound.

Gr33n M4n

Gr33n M4n

People here have been attending "radio services" where they park in the church parking lot and listen to the sermon on the radio.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 14, 2020, 11:25:59 PM
I just wouldn't personally dismiss any of these people with an Rocky IV "If he dies, he dies" Ivan Drago meme. Because Drago is saying in that line that he doesn't give a sh*t if Creed dies.
Again, you're missing the entire point in that the meme was the pastor's own attitude, not arbitrarily dismissing whether he dies. Did you watch the video the meme was responding to?

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Apr 14, 2020, 11:31:48 PM
I just wouldn't personally dismiss any of these people with an Rocky IV "If he dies, he dies" Ivan Drago meme. Because Drago is saying in that line that he doesn't give a sh*t if Creed dies.
Again, you're missing the entire point in that the meme was the pastor's own attitude, not arbitrarily dismissing whether he dies. Did you watch the video the meme was responding to?

OK, you caught me there. I'm not.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I just wouldn't personally dismiss any of these people with an Rocky IV "If he dies, he dies" Ivan Drago meme. Because Drago is saying in that line that he doesn't give a sh*t if Creed dies. To me personally, I wouldn't post a meme like that about anyone dying, from a religious zealot, to the mentally ill, to my worst enemy. But that's just me. It's a difference of opinion, but the reasoning is sound.

First, how much does SM pay you for representation fees.

Secondly, yes, I saw the video where he is animate that Christians should not fear death, including himself.

Thirdly, I concede the meme can be presented that way, especially if you prefaced it with...

"The pastor be like..."
* insert Drago Meme *

...if you concede that meme with no context can be exactly taken the way Kraden and I took it. Who cares if they die.

But still, when using the meme regardless of Drago, or Darth Vader, or Hannibal Lector, it does insert a smidgen of levity if you intend it or not.

Kradan

Kradan

I'll stick to this.^^^ Voodoo is just better with words and has inner power to prove his point

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 14, 2020, 11:44:35 PM

:D

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 14, 2020, 11:44:35 PM
Absolutely unnecessary.

QuoteThirdly, I concede the meme can be presented that way, especially if you prefaced it with...

"The pastor be like..."
* insert Drago Meme *

...if you concede that meme with no context can be exactly taken the way Kraden and I took it. Who cares if they die.
Out of context the meme could just be SM showing his love for the Rocky franchise. Out of context it could be an exercise
in surrealism. Out of context it could be anything.

It was clearly posted within a context, though. Ignoring that context to say someone crossed a line is exactly the kind of thing you argue against with Local Trouble and his Trump quotes.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Apr 14, 2020, 09:54:39 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 14, 2020, 08:13:34 PM

I think I'm with Kradan on this one.

https://media.tenor.com/images/b8c672b382c08a88f95fb3d8d0262ad9/tenor.gif
How are either crossing a line? The first was referencing the contemptuous and dismissive attitude the pastor had to dying, the second is about seeing people making misinformed decisions in the face of a dangerous situation and refusing expert advice.

Is just ... Talking about death crossing a line or something?

These times are hard on everyone. It's gonna get alot worse before it gets better, and it's making people judgmental and bitter. Many people, including myself, agreed with the media and the medical community at first that this wouldn't be that bad. We were wrong. I was wrong. I don't mind admitting it.

Now all the folks who were early alarmists delight in the various forms of "I told you so". Still, I heard a couple from NJ or Indianapolis traveled to Kentucky just to attend services. So they're bringing it and/or taking it back with them. It's not just one congregation = one community anymore. I understand the frustration with religious holdouts at the moment, even as a man of faith, and even if a meme is or isn't in bad taste.

Quote from: Gr33n M4n on Apr 14, 2020, 11:27:47 PM
People here have been attending "radio services" where they park in the church parking lot and listen to the sermon on the radio.

Same here, the only church I know of that's open is broadcasting.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Its all going downhill. Bad times are coming.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 14, 2020, 11:43:06 PM

OK, you caught me there. I'm not.

But now I have, While I cannot agree on everything priest said ( line about billions of dollars being spent on church as proof of its importance in particular) and now understand more where you and SM come from I still think that meme can be interpreted ambivalently even within the context.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed