In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,411,866 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

There may be hope for Ferguson, after all.

Hubbs

Hubbs

QuoteNot at all Hubbs, it's just that you you have made it clear you're not 1.interested in dialogue or debate as you time after time ignore everything said, 2.repeat regurgitated talkpoints, 3.inflammatory provocations and accusations, 4.non sequitur right-wing cluelessness.
I read how the jury came to their decision, combined with Missouri law etc. and I'm stilled baffled by how you're still incapable to see 5.the bigger picture. It's almost as if you don't want to see it, or you're just pulling my leg. No matter what I'm exhausted and bored by you as there doesn't seem to be the will to actually debate rather than just .troll back and forth.

1. I've been debating how the situation has been and gone and how Wilson was proven to be telling the truth in part (from witnesses).

2. Repeating the fact Wilson was proven to be telling the truth (on some counts), some witnesses were lying, some proved Wilson was telling the truth yes.

3. That all the rioters have nothing to riot about and all the protesters have nothing to protest about because Wilson has been proven to be telling the truth yes. The fact that most of them are just jumping on the race card bandwagon again yep. That's just basic observation from many news reports and sources with many wild stories flying about.

4. That's just you saying 'white privilege' in different words yet again, you seem to be very hung up on that.

5. I know what you think the bigger picture is, I know entirely. Problem is you're putting the crazy actions of a stupid teen to the forefront of your idea and waving it like a flag despite the fact this incident has nothing to do with your (and all the protesters) bigger picture. It was an unfortunate event that didn't have to happen and could of been different if both parties involved hadn't acted as they did. The thing is (which many forget), Mr Brown ignited those series of events (not proven admittedly but he obviously had a reason to react as he knew he was being stopped for a recent robbery) and Mr Wilson was forced to deal with it. Sure Wilson could have acted differently but he was put under pressure in a very heated moment, hindsight is a marvelous thing. Too many people are too quick to jump to conclusions (led by others), cause trouble and cry wolf and this is why outside the US no one cares and sees it as lunacy.

Case in point, NFL players doing this despite the fact it was not proven that Brown did have his hands up and despite the fact that some witnesses said he didn't! Jumping on the bandwagon led/started by others.

This is inflammatory and provocative.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-echochambers-30221442

Your President decides not to curtail militarisation of American police forces...
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/dec/01/obama-white-house-summit-ferguson

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Hubbs on Dec 02, 2014, 07:05:58 AM
QuoteNot at all Hubbs, it's just that you you have made it clear you're not 1.interested in dialogue or debate as you time after time ignore everything said, 2.repeat regurgitated talkpoints, 3.inflammatory provocations and accusations, 4.non sequitur right-wing cluelessness.
I read how the jury came to their decision, combined with Missouri law etc. and I'm stilled baffled by how you're still incapable to see 5.the bigger picture. It's almost as if you don't want to see it, or you're just pulling my leg. No matter what I'm exhausted and bored by you as there doesn't seem to be the will to actually debate rather than just .troll back and forth.

1. I've been debating how the situation has been and gone and how Wilson was proven to be telling the truth in part (from witnesses).

2. Repeating the fact Wilson was proven to be telling the truth (on some counts), some witnesses were lying, some proved Wilson was telling the truth yes.

3. That all the rioters have nothing to riot about and all the protesters have nothing to protest about because Wilson has been proven to be telling the truth yes. The fact that most of them are just jumping on the race card bandwagon again yep. That's just basic observation from many news reports and sources with many wild stories flying about.

4. That's just you saying 'white privilege' in different words yet again, you seem to be very hung up on that.

5. I know what you think the bigger picture is, I know entirely. Problem is you're putting the crazy actions of a stupid teen to the forefront of your idea and waving it like a flag despite the fact this incident has nothing to do with your (and all the protesters) bigger picture. It was an unfortunate event that didn't have to happen and could of been different if both parties involved hadn't acted as they did. The thing is (which many forget), Mr Brown ignited those series of events (not proven admittedly but he obviously had a reason to react as he knew he was being stopped for a recent robbery) and Mr Wilson was forced to deal with it. Sure Wilson could have acted differently but he was put under pressure in a very heated moment, hindsight is a marvelous thing. Too many people are too quick to jump to conclusions (led by others), cause trouble and cry wolf and this is why outside the US no one cares and sees it as lunacy.

Case in point, NFL players doing this despite the fact it was not proven that Brown did have his hands up and despite the fact that some witnesses said he didn't! Jumping on the bandwagon led/started by others.

This is inflammatory and provocative.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-echochambers-30221442

Your President decides not to curtail militarisation of American police forces...
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/dec/01/obama-white-house-summit-ferguson

Dear Hubbs, if you are serious about this farce of a debate and not only in it for fanning the flames please PM me and be honest about your intent, because I just don't have it in me to waste time and energy on someone who's just fooling around or is incapable to listen. Sounds crass but that's how I feel. I'm happy to reply if the other debater shows the will to debate. Trolling or slamming my head to a brick wall is not worthwhile.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

The most funny and self unaware thing i've seen in a long time.

This... is the Spinal Tap of pipe organs..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jLzgFkouSmc

Gate

Gate

Someone poised a valid point to me about police militarization.

Would you rather the police, the in-between force, be the one to arrive in Special Weapons & Tactics APC's, or would you rather us deploy the offshoot to the military?  Have you seen the National Guard in Ferguson compared to the police? The national guard is an army, and they will kill people. Kent State proved that. The police are a moderate force and perhaps not properly trained to drive the APC, but when a rock is thrown at a police officer the first thing going through his head is not to shoot his gun at the perpetrator.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Gate on Dec 02, 2014, 08:23:38 PM

Would you rather the police, the in-between force, be the one to arrive in Special Weapons & Tactics APC's, or would you rather us deploy the offshoot to the military?  Have you seen the National Guard in Ferguson compared to the police? The national guard is an army, and they will kill people. Kent State proved that. The police are a moderate force and perhaps not properly trained to drive the APC, but when a rock is thrown at a police officer the first thing going through his head is not to shoot his gun at the perpetrator.

It depends, clearly. Which this whole case, as well as countless other cases prove; that police officers are several times more likely use lethal force against young black people compared to when dealing with other populations, especially white. In other words the problem and issue goes deeper than which armed authority should deal with public unrest and what kind military equipment should be used.

Hubbs

Hubbs

They were burning the American flag in Ferguson the other day and the National Guard were there looking VERY pissed, and I don't blame them. That kind of shit you expect in the Middle East, not your own country by citizens. If anything the Ferguson situation will have strengthened the need for military styled police which is why Obama has not stopped it.

Gate

Gate

That opinion is from a person who believes that the incident had no racial bearings other than an investigation on-scene gone wrong.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Gate on Dec 02, 2014, 09:57:51 PM
That opinion is from a person who believes that the incident had no racial bearings other than an investigation on-scene gone wrong.

This is starting to go in circles.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

HUBBS, I will reply this time around even though you never did PM me, because I'm such a sucker...

Quote1. I've been debating how the situation has been and gone and how Wilson was proven to be telling the truth in part (from witnesses).

No, you haven't. You ignored all the witnesses that disproved Wilson and confirmed Brown's friend Johnson's story. You ignored the fact that Wilson and his colleagues didn't follow protocol and that wasn't put in account. You ignored that Missouri law - outdated and full of loopholes (together with the non-unanimous verdict consensus of the grand jury) - worked in favor of Wilson.

Quote2. Repeating the fact Wilson was proven to be telling the truth (on some counts), some witnesses were lying, some proved Wilson was telling the truth yes.

And vice versa! So what is your point exactly?

Quote3. That all the rioters have nothing to riot about and all the protesters have nothing to protest about because Wilson has been proven to be telling the truth yes. The fact that most of them are just jumping on the race card bandwagon again yep. That's just basic observation from many news reports and sources with many wild stories flying about.

Here is where you display how embarrassingly clueless and ignorant you are. The protests are not only about Brown - they are about all the other hundreds of unarmed young black people that have been shot (and killed) without the shooter having to face any consequences, just this year. If you followed the protests you would know how complex the issue is and how much it affects (black) people. That it is NOT an isolated case by any means. The protests are here to raise awareness when it comes to racial profiling, structural racism, complete indifference against violence against black (black-on-black violence included), suffering communities etc.

Quote4. That's just you saying 'white privilege' in different words yet again, you seem to be very hung up on that.

Because you refuse to see that is a big part of the issue, or that such a thing as white privilege even exist. You yourself, in the way you approach and deal with these kinds of issues, are a classic example of white privilege at work.

Quote5. I know what you think the bigger picture is, I know entirely. Problem is you're putting the crazy actions of a stupid teen to the forefront of your idea and waving it like a flag despite the fact this incident has nothing to do with your (and all the protesters) bigger picture. It was an unfortunate event that didn't have to happen and could of been different if both parties involved hadn't acted as they did. The thing is (which many forget), Mr Brown ignited those series of events (not proven admittedly but he obviously had a reason to react as he knew he was being stopped for a recent robbery) and Mr Wilson was forced to deal with it. Sure Wilson could have acted differently but he was put under pressure in a very heated moment, hindsight is a marvelous thing. Too many people are too quick to jump to conclusions (led by others), cause trouble and cry wolf and this is why outside the US no one cares and sees it as lunacy.

Wow, Hubbs. For the first time you admit that there are two, or even three ways to look at this.

Yes, Brown responded to officer Wilson in a way that made Wilson make the wrong decisions. The difference is that: A) Wilson is an adult and Brown a teenager. B) Wilson has police training whereas Brown was a hormonal civilian. C) Wilson was armed whereas Brown was unarmed. Wilson - an armed grown-up and police officer -  has more of a responsibility than Brown - an unarmed unprivileged teenager.

QuoteCase in point, NFL players doing this despite the fact it was not proven that Brown did have his hands up and despite the fact that some witnesses said he didn't! Jumping on the bandwagon led/started by others.

Again up for interpretation. Brown had already been shot a couple of times during the time he allegedly tried to raise his hands. His movements and gestures might have been dulled because of blood loss and gun wound trauma. A clear hands-up gesture to some, clenched fists by others.

The only wrong thing those NFL players did was that they did not stand up for what they did and why they did it.

Quote from: Hubbs on Dec 02, 2014, 09:33:48 PM

They were burning the American flag in Ferguson the other day and the National Guard were there looking VERY pissed, and I don't blame them. That kind of shit you expect in the Middle East, not your own country by citizens. If anything the Ferguson situation will have strengthened the need for military styled police which is why Obama has not stopped it.

And the troll is back!

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Dec 02, 2014, 10:25:54 PM
HUBBS, I will reply this time around even though you never did PM me, because I'm such a sucker...

Quote1. I've been debating how the situation has been and gone and how Wilson was proven to be telling the truth in part (from witnesses).

No, you haven't. You ignored all the witnesses that disproved Wilson and confirmed Brown's friend Johnson's story. You ignored the fact that Wilson and his colleagues didn't follow protocol and that wasn't put in account. You ignored that Missouri law - outdated and full of loopholes (together with the non-unanimous verdict consensus of the grand jury) - worked in favor of Wilson.

In all honesty I haven't heard of any witness accounts proving that Brown did anything of what was claimed accept for running away which was simply because he had just assaulted a police officer. I did however read that Brown's friend had been making their story up trying to get Wilson done for murder...as have many.

I have said before the protocol issues may just have been simple mistakes because the people involved have never had to deal with something this serious before. Maybe simple inexperience...maybe it could have been blatant tampering but the latter is not proven and speculation.

Missouri law may need to change yes, I don't know, but that has nothing to do with the police involved, they are just following their rules and training. Its the upper echelons that you should moan at, even your President who has decided not to de-militarise the police in America.

I thought the jury needed 9 votes either way to decide, so 9 people voted not to indict Wilson, that is unanimous.

Yes I know all this includes the various other people getting shot and killed but how many of these cases all have the same issue. The issue that the person stopped did not follow the polices instructions or in some cases have been carrying some sort of weapon. I sometimes think had these people just done what was asked at the time none of this would have happened and we wouldn't be where we are now. Sure there still might have been important issues (racial issues) to deal with but no one would have been killed.

QuoteYes, Brown responded to officer Wilson in a way that made Wilson make the wrong decisions. The difference is that: A) Wilson is an adult and Brown a teenager. B) Wilson has police training whereas Brown was a hormonal civilian. C) Wilson was armed whereas Brown was unarmed. Wilson - an armed grown-up and police officer -  has more of a responsibility than Brown - an unarmed unprivileged teenager.

You have a good point but...there's that word again  ::)

Charles Barkley supports decision!
http://news.yahoo.com/why-charles-barkley-supports-ferguson-grand-jury-decision-163736319.html

'The true story came out from the grand jury testimony," Barkley said, adding that he was made aware of "key forensic evidence, and several black witnesses that supported Officer Darren Wilson's story...'

'We have to be really careful with the cops, because if it wasn't for the cops we would be living in the Wild, Wild West in our neighborhoods," he said. "We can't pick out certain incidentals that don't go our way and act like the cops are all bad.... Do you know how bad some of these neighborhoods would be if it wasn't for the cops?'

New York police taking a tougher stance on protesters.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/12/02/bratton-as-eric-garner-grand-jury-decision-nears-nypd-readies-for-protests/

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

I keep coming back for more...*ugh*

Quote from: Hubbs on Dec 03, 2014, 12:54:11 AM
In all honesty I haven't heard of any witness accounts proving that Brown did anything of what was claimed accept for running away which was simply because he had just assaulted a police officer. I did however read that Brown's friend had been making their story up trying to get Wilson done for murder...as have many.

Of course you haven't.

QuoteI have said before the protocol issues may just have been simple mistakes because the people involved have never had to deal with something this serious before. Maybe simple inexperience...maybe it could have been blatant tampering but the latter is not proven and speculation.

Yes, of course we should give the police officer the benefit of a doubt and not the unarmed black boy, just as in all the similar cases before this one.

Then you ask yourself why people are protesting or are getting mad...

QuoteMissouri law may need to change yes, I don't know, but that has nothing to do with the police involved, they are just following their rules and training. Its the upper echelons that you should moan at, even your President who has decided not to de-militarise the police in America.

There is no change because lawmakers look at cases like these the same way as you seem to do, i.e. the police, as well as regular civilians, should not suffer any repercussions when shooting and killing unarmed black teenagers as it is always seen as self-defense - as a safety precaution because theoretically every black boy on the street could be, and probably is, a full-fledged "thug" (the new n-word) that had it coming. It's only normal and excusable to panic and go for the kill when a seemingly threatening black teenager is involved...

QuoteI thought the jury needed 9 votes either way to decide, so 9 people voted not to indict Wilson, that is unanimous

No, during these cases you usually need 12 out of 12 jury members to agree on the verdict, that's why these cases usually take months to resolve. There can't be any doubt.

Now combine that with the not very diverse pick of jury members (the majority men, and only three of the members black) and I find it kind of obvious that this whole ordeal benefitted Wilson from the get-go.

QuoteYes I know all this includes the various other people getting shot and killed but how many of these cases all have the same issue. The issue that the person stopped did not follow the polices instructions or in some cases have been carrying some sort of weapon. I sometimes think had these people just done what was asked at the time none of this would have happened and we wouldn't be where we are now. Sure there still might have been important issues (racial issues) to deal with but no one would have been killed.

Please do some research before you speak, and also keep in mind, when you do your research, that a black person runs a 4 to 15 times higher chance/risk (depending on which state it is) to be arrested or/and being exposed to excessive force than a white person for the exact same crime or suspicion of a crime. Same thing goes when an officer makes the "tough" decision to shoot to kill (although it is hard to tell in the statistics in how many of those cases the person shot and killed was unarmed). That means that black people in general rarely, if ever, are given the benefit of a doubt, or a second chance, or even the time and option to collaborate before it is too late.

A white 12 year old kid carrying his BB gun in the open won't be shot multiple times by a cop, who then refuses to give the kid first-aid while waiting for the Ambulance to come, and then gets of the hook, which is exactly the case when it comes to the Tamar Rice case in Cleveland, which is just one of many recent cases this year.

QuoteYes, Brown responded to officer Wilson in a way that made Wilson make the wrong decisions. The difference is that: A) Wilson is an adult and Brown a teenager. B) Wilson has police training whereas Brown was a hormonal civilian. C) Wilson was armed whereas Brown was unarmed. Wilson - an armed grown-up and police officer -  has more of a responsibility than Brown - an unarmed unprivileged teenager.

You have a good point but...there's that word again  ::)[/quote]

So there is no such thing as privilege according to you then? Everyone in this day and age have the same starting conditions and chances in life and are percieved and judged the same?

QuoteCharles Barkley supports decision!
http://news.yahoo.com/why-charles-barkley-supports-ferguson-grand-jury-decision-163736319.html

'The true story came out from the grand jury testimony," Barkley said, adding that he was made aware of "key forensic evidence, and several black witnesses that supported Officer Darren Wilson's story...'

'We have to be really careful with the cops, because if it wasn't for the cops we would be living in the Wild, Wild West in our neighborhoods," he said. "We can't pick out certain incidentals that don't go our way and act like the cops are all bad.... Do you know how bad some of these neighborhoods would be if it wasn't for the cops?'

The same Charles Barkley who voted for John McCain against Obama? The same Charles Barkley who spoke for the Republicans and planned to run for Republican (=conservative/right-wing) governor in Alabama? The same Charles Barkley who thought that George Zimmerman didn't do anything wrong the night he shot and killed Trayvon Martin (another super dangerous unarmed little teenage boy). Yeah, why don't you check what Ben Carson or Herman Cain have to say about it as well?

Hubbs

Hubbs

QuoteYou have a good point but...there's that word again  ::)

So there is no such thing as privilege according to you then? Everyone in this day and age have the same starting conditions and chances in life and are percieved and judged the same?

QuoteCharles Barkley supports decision!

QuoteThe same Charles Barkley who voted for John McCain against Obama? The same Charles Barkley who spoke for the Republicans and planned to run for Republican (=conservative/right-wing) governor in Alabama? The same Charles Barkley who thought that George Zimmerman didn't do anything wrong the night he shot and killed Trayvon Martin (another super dangerous unarmed little teenage boy). Yeah, why don't you check what Ben Carson or Herman Cain have to say about it as well?

Privilege doesn't simply equal someone will be good and someone without will be bad. It shouldn't be used as an excuse either. Just because certain kids from certain areas might not have the same privileges as other kids from other areas doesn't result in an easy excuse to disobey the police, attack them and rob a liquor store ;) (remember he was stopped for a reason, not just randomly).

I think everyone has the same chances in life from the start yes. Not literately of course but everyone can be someone if they work hard enough to a degree, you can always try and better yourself. Sure life isn't a movie but in this day and age there are plenty of chances for young people I think, depending of course.

No not everyone is judged the same, a shame but its true, but that can be the same for anyone anywhere, doesn't matter who you are really.

No idea what Charles Barkley gets up to but he makes fair unbiased points is all I'm saying.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/obama-requests-263-million-police-body-cameras-training-n259161

QuotePresident Barack Obama on Monday proposed new funding meant to help improve relations between police departments and minority communities, saying there is a "simmering distrust" between the two groups that extends well beyond the unrest in Ferguson, Missouri.

For the first time in a long time, I'm in agreement with him.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Hubbs on Dec 03, 2014, 07:12:59 AM
Privilege doesn't simply equal someone will be good and someone without will be bad. It shouldn't be used as an excuse either. Just because certain kids from certain areas might not have the same privileges as other kids from other areas doesn't result in an easy excuse to disobey the police, attack them and rob a liquor store ;) (remember he was stopped for a reason, not just randomly).

No, but your surroundings shape and effect you, your socio-economic upbringing and experiences shape and effect you, and the way you are greeted and treated by the system, authorities as well as people on the street shape and effect you. The less privileged you are the higher the risks are that you will make the wrong decisions as you have less valid options to pick from. Of course it's not a valid excuse to commit crime just because of that, just like it isn't ok that society is so slow and reluctant to admit there is structural discrimination, privilege and social hierarchies, because our system and culture don't work the same way for everyone. Some people have to work really hard to succeed and not screw up while others have to work really hard to screw up and not succeed, and we see this as acceptable and are much more prone to accuse the people on the bottom and defend the people on the top than the other way around.

QuoteI think everyone has the same chances in life from the start yes. Not literately of course but everyone can be someone if they work hard enough to a degree, you can always try and better yourself. Sure life isn't a movie but in this day and age there are plenty of chances for young people I think, depending of course.

Yet reality shows that this isn't the case. All the numbers, statistics, investigations, surveys etc. point to the inconclusive fact that some people will have a much harder time to get anywhere just because they were born by the "wrong" parents.

People who don't want to admit this answer these surveys by either leaving out certain data, or they blame it on the "welfare state" programs as if they are the reasons to why less privileged groups aren't as successful as, lets say, white middle-class to upper class men. Just get rid of the nanny state and force the people who are drowning to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and they'll be just fine, right?

Either that or unsuccessful people are of an inferior gene pool, which can't be fixed, so let's not even try to fix and instead keep on justifying them being treated as second class citizens, if even that.

QuoteNo not everyone is judged the same, a shame but its true, but that can be the same for anyone anywhere, doesn't matter who you are really.

Yeah, it's all about bad luck and bad timing, right?

QuoteNo idea what Charles Barkley gets up to but he makes fair unbiased points is all I'm saying.

I'm sure you find it unbiased. To be fair though Sir Charles Barkley is an athlete that loves to comment on what happens in politics and he seems to just say what is on his mind and will trace back if he changes his mind. He is like an everyday Joe being a pundit. Nothing wrong with that, but he is no authority on the matter.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed