Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,411,449 times)

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: SiL on Jun 16, 2014, 02:47:47 AM
Quote from: Aspie on Jun 16, 2014, 02:46:26 AM
welcome to elysium
Alternatively everyone dumps its prison population on the moon and it becomes Australia II.

The environment adapts and moon rocks turn into giant lunar spiders and snakes.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

sil and kimarhi mars 2025.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Aspie on Jun 16, 2014, 02:51:21 AM
The environment adapts and moon rocks turn into giant lunar spiders and snakes.
You just spoiled the plot of a movie and you don't even know it.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 16, 2014, 02:51:37 AM
sil and kimarhi mars 2025.
I'd rather the moon. Not so big on the one way ticket to Mars.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

By 2025 they'll have the technology for a return trip.  Unless you are in that mars 1 reality tv show in which case you'll probably just end up smashed into the side of the planet somewhere. 

Vertigo

Vertigo

I'm not sure what you'd find on another planet that would make it worthwhile. Oil and natural gas require the existence of dead organisms, and what other resource does any first-world country fight over?
All I can think of that would be worthwhile are hydrogen and water (which would require a long-arse trip), and I don't think there's an urgent need for either in the non-ultra-distant future.

Main thing we need is more room for agriculture, and maybe living space. For that we either need highly safe and stable space stations (which could potentially happen with further development of our current space programmes) and a cheap, low-pollution means of travelling to and from them; to terraform Mars or a moon in our solar system (which will probably remain fantasy); or to devise a new means of propulsion which allows us to travel quickly between solar systems (the conception of which won't necessarily come from a space programme).

At the risk of sounding like an immoral Chinese tyrant, most of our future problems (and the survival of Earth's natural heritage) can be solved by population controls. Unfortunately that's about the most invasive and anti-freedom measure that a government can propose, and will probably never happen in a democratic country. It'd take massive and personally-affecting resource shortage for that to happen, by which time it'd be too late.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Vertigo on Jun 16, 2014, 05:45:41 AM
At the risk of sounding like an immoral Chinese tyrant, most of our future problems (and the survival of Earth's natural heritage) can be solved by population controls. Unfortunately that's about the most invasive and anti-freedom measure that a government can propose, and will probably never happen in a democratic country. It'd take massive and personally-affecting resource shortage for that to happen, by which time it'd be too late.
The awful truth.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Vertigo on Jun 16, 2014, 05:45:41 AM
I'm not sure what you'd find on another planet that would make it worthwhile. Oil and natural gas require the existence of dead organisms, and what other resource does any first-world country fight over?
Rare earth metals. Asteroids are loaded with em though... Helium too. However Jupiter and Saturn are basically giant balls of gas. Ah I got it, more beach front property!

Vertigo

Vertigo

Well, the main element you'd mine on a gas giant or asteroid is hydrogen, which we're not currently short of.

Fair point about metals which are rare on Earth, though I'd imagine it would be a very long time before the cost of a mining venture could be outweighed by the value of the payload. Governments aren't likely to pursue it, because their use is more as a component in science, industry and commercial products, rather than a household survival essential.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

We could start by embracing solar energy and hydrogen powered-cars and bringing Tesla's old experiments into practice...

But then again, none of them are very profitable so...yeah.

Ghostface

Ghostface

In 100 years we'll be mining whatever we need from the far reaches of the galaxy. Just don't stop for any distress signals.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Speaking of which, your avatar is really spooky-looking.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Well my mum thinks I'm handsome

Sabby

Sabby

The destruction of the planet isn't profitable. Eventually, the powers that be will want to fix it, even if it is just for self preservation.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

And they will propose solutions that will mean f**k all because by then it will be too late.

Sabby

Sabby

Lets hope that's not the case.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed