Antarctica Traffic Control

Started by Salt The Fries, Jul 26, 2012, 03:25:49 PM

Author
Antarctica Traffic Control (Read 9,212 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quite.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Quote from: Wweyland on Jun 12, 2018, 08:38:54 PM
Wouldn't it be better if this was in space though? So if you are approaching from the northern hemisphere you can't reach them because the Earth would be blocking you? You would have to know to contact Artica Traffic Control. Sounds a bit ridiculous, no?
Maybe not if you consider that the Nostromo's route is an established shipping route in the Network, so crews would probably know in advance all of the important contact points.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Let's not forget that space is three-dimensional.  It's quite possible that any ships returning to Earth from Thedus would put them on a course that's perpendicular to our planar orbit around the sun.

SM

SM

Why?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Ugh, I meant "might" instead of "would," but I thought that was implicit by the "quite possible" qualifier.

Did you ever determine what star system Thedus is in?

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

'e reckons ε Ret...

(See bottom edge of the Big Map)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: FenGiddel on Jun 18, 2018, 12:07:21 AM
'e reckons ε Ret...

(See bottom edge of the Big Map)

Therefore canon.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

I'm hoping for further clarification as to the "why?" to your "would"...  I just this afternoon watched an animation showing the Earth's tilt relative to seasons and my mind was blown with the orbital mechanics, so your statement was timely, in that respect.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It was just speculation.  Unless I'm mistaken, our galaxy has stars with planets that are both "above" and "below" the plane of our orbit around the sun.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Right. That video I was watching says the Earth axial tilt (with relation to said plane you mentioned) is about 24 degrees. Of course, it's all in motion, as well. A complex juggling act, plotting courses over interstellar distances, wouldn't you say?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Indeed.  I recently saw a Youtube video of some ancient aliens schmuck who said that you have to pass by all the outer planets on the way to Earth, completely oblivious to the fact that the planets are rarely lined up as they appear in an artist's rendition of the Solar System.

SM

SM

If Thedus is E Reticuli, in Reticulum, a southern constellation, incoming ships would be approaching Earth's southern hemisphere. I don't imagine they'd aim for  Neptune's orbit hang a left, then head to Earth.

Huggs

Huggs

Mel Blanc always swore you could reach any destination as long as you turned left at Albuquerque.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Have we reached consensus then?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 18, 2018, 03:57:44 PM
Have we reached consensus then?

I don't know. Where is it on the Map?  :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed