Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 13, 2024, 12:24:45 PM

Author
Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel (Read 38,422 times)

aliens13

Quote from: skhellter on Feb 16, 2024, 05:28:42 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Feb 16, 2024, 07:46:01 AMYeah for it to be parallel with Alien, I think said during Furious Gods or the commentary track.

That was the thing that Lindelof wanted to do with the prequels and it's why he changed the planet in Prometheus. To have it just be its own story, parallel to Ripley's, never tying directly to Alien or LV426.

Ridley changed his mind.
Just yesterday I was reading and remembering a thread of 2011 when Ridley said that they were taking a new route with Prometheus and it hasn't anything to do with Alien. Man, everyone was losing his mind that day 😅 it's funny reading it now

Wweyland

Quote from: SM on Feb 16, 2024, 09:03:50 AM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 16, 2024, 05:52:25 AM
Quote from: SM on Feb 16, 2024, 05:41:36 AMThey said they were always going to tie the Prometheus arc to Alien at some point.
Scott also said he wanted to move away from it.

Initially, but as far as I know it would always end up linking to Alien in the end (by about film four I think he said at one point).
But would the Jockey Morph have bursted out of David? Is he compatible?

SM

Dunno.  They never got that far in revealing the narrative.

razeak

Quote from: Nukiemorph on Feb 16, 2024, 05:13:01 AM
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Feb 15, 2024, 06:13:14 PM
Quote from: razeak on Feb 15, 2024, 02:16:59 PMThank you Fox for slamming the door shut, at least temporarily, on desecrating the first film.  It was abused enough.

People will be saying the same about Blomkamp project whenever we can get that info out there.
I'm already saying that, so I can't wait to hear those details.

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Feb 14, 2024, 06:13:43 PMRidley was definitely heading towards David being in the Jockey suit we see in ALIEN. There were drafts of his 3rd film put together, and my understanding from the folks in the know is he was planning on tying the derelict from ALIEN to David. Like it or not, they were trying to connect it all.
I've been arguing for years that there's no way Ridley could do something so stupid...

Maybe we really did dodge a bullet, but I still want closure of some kind on David and the Covenant crew.
The irony. Alien turned male rape fear on its head to f**k men's psychology. Convenant turned Alien on its head to f**k Alien. Lol.

I've said it before, in a vacuum, I like Covenant. I just don't want it to water Alien down IMO. I'll pass on closure if we can not further molest Alien.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: razeak on Feb 18, 2024, 02:03:47 AMI've said it before, in a vacuum, I like Covenant.

I enjoy all the films and a lot of the EU like that. The Trilogy is my only "canon".

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: skhellter on Feb 16, 2024, 05:28:42 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Feb 16, 2024, 07:46:01 AMYeah for it to be parallel with Alien, I think said during Furious Gods or the commentary track.

That was the thing that Lindelof wanted to do with the prequels and it's why he changed the planet in Prometheus. To have it just be its own story, parallel to Ripley's, never tying directly to Alien or LV426.

Imagine a Prometheus sequel happening literally at the same time as Alien, with everything and retro technology...only focused on "the new monsters" and Engineers.

Before anyone says "I want Aliens in my Aliens movies"... ;D

Nightmare Asylum

Ridley was also touting the "same universe, different trajectory" bit around the time of Prometheus' release, until that suddenly shifted gears towards a full fledged Alien prequel during the prep of "Alien: Paradise Lost."

And the rest, as they say, is history. History that has landed its eternal place as the text in @𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯's signature, at that.

razeak

It's not just aliens we wanted. We wanted beautiful Ridley Scott cinematography (check), a good score (check), good writing (yikes), good acting (check) smart characters (double yikes), no main characters dying off before the opening credits (triple yikes) and probably some mystery to the creature (was mostly intact in Prometheus, not Covenant). Undercooked stories and dumb characters weigh the two movies down in the worst way. David is legitimately great IMO, I must admit. If he sucked, I wouldn't be torn.

David Weyland

I wonder if at the time although it was an Alien prequel in all but name that Ridley & or the production team deliberately promoted Prometheus as not being so, just in order to alleviate the pressure & scrutiny of public expectation of being framed as a direct prequel to the OT

Failed at that sure but the vagaries had a purpose

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Wweyland on Feb 17, 2024, 12:40:22 PM
Quote from: SM on Feb 16, 2024, 09:03:50 AM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 16, 2024, 05:52:25 AM
Quote from: SM on Feb 16, 2024, 05:41:36 AMThey said they were always going to tie the Prometheus arc to Alien at some point.
Scott also said he wanted to move away from it.

Initially, but as far as I know it would always end up linking to Alien in the end (by about film four I think he said at one point).
But would the Jockey Morph have bursted out of David? Is he compatible?

I'm sure this came up when we spoke to Seanan McGuire about her wanting to do this in Echo but being told no, but not because it didn't work. I need to relisten to that podcast.

SM

Viola (or Jill) was originally partly organic.  I dug out my notes to Steve T and said it could be a tough sell to have cybernetic Aliens, but if Seanan could pull off Viola being partly organic, it might work. The problem was the precedent set by Ash, Bishop, David etc. being 100% artificial. I suspect Seanan may have just assumed all Alien robots were partly organic.

I mentioned Elden, but ultimately they went with Viola being all artificial.

Still Collating...

I like my Synths being completely non organic. For the completely organic ones, you have BR. Half-half makes no sense to me unless it's Westworld.

Completely non organic robots that seem human is the point to me. What does it say about us and our minds/souls if you can make a robot mind that's the same as ours? There was potential in exploring that in the Prequels with David. More in Prometheus than in Covenant, still squandered in both. A movie with David in a room being tested on how indistinguishable form a human he is I would gladly watch (though I know that's a niche and Westworld already did some interesting things with it).

Thatguy2068

Were there any more leaks that came out? I haven't been in this website for a long time.

BigDaddyJohn

Not that much more as of right now. For the next movie on the other hand, there are plenty.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Mar 16, 2024, 11:43:02 PMWere there any more leaks that came out? I haven't been in this website for a long time.

Nope, the biggest bit of news is still Tootles.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed