Alien Isolation : Post Mortem

Started by hellrasinbrasin, Nov 16, 2014, 09:15:18 AM

Author
Alien Isolation : Post Mortem (Read 18,570 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 11, 2015, 02:12:23 PMI don't think that necessarily means they knew there was an alien beforehand, I'm not saying your 100% wrong as that is something I forgot, but when I think about it now for all we know they could of just replaced a human science officer with a synthetic one just to put a new practice into effect.

Given his ulterior motives, and the fact Dallas points out there was no good reason for his previous science officer to be replaced, it's heavily implied he was planted there fore a reason.

Not to mention the novel and script flat-out confirm the company knew in advance.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Yea, I know (again I forgot), true it's implied and it's something I've agreed with for ages, but implied isn't the same as a matter of fact so you can't blame someone when they decide to explore any possible alternatives, my thought of which at least isn't that far-fetch.

And I never read the script before and frankly I nor anyone shouldn't have to either, the movie doesn't flat out say it, it's only implied and when you imply something it's possible to take more than one idea away from said implication.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 11, 2015, 02:44:41 PM
And I never read the script before and frankly I nor anyone shouldn't have to either, the movie doesn't flat out say it, it's only implied and when you imply something it's possible to take more than one idea away from said implication.

"Nostromo rerouted to new coordinates.
Investigate lifeform, gather specimen.
Ensure return of organism for analysis. All other considerations secondary.
Crew expendable."

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Yea, I know (again I forgot), true it's implied and it's something I've agreed with for ages, but implied isn't the same as a matter of fact so you can't blame someone when they decide to explore any possible alternatives, my thought of which at least isn't that far-fetch.

Nostromo rerouted to new coordinates.
Crew expendable

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jan 11, 2015, 03:17:10 PM

"Nostromo rerouted to new coordinates.
Crew expendable."

I believe the Nostromo was rerouted when the the Nostromo itself intercepted the signal of the beacon as soon as it was within signal range, and the crew is by contract obliged to investigate, only knowing that a signal exist. I highly doubt even the company knew beforehand exactly that there was a life form (they would have to of been inside the derelict ship first hand  :P), if the company was suspecting anything beforehand, it was "something" of interest at the time. What your quoting is special order 937, as far as I know it's just company procedure put in place in the event any new life form is discovered so that it can be studied.

Prior to the Nostromo finding the ship, the crew's guess was probably as good as a guess from the company as to what exactly was going on other than that something of unknown origin giving out a signal. How could the company possibly know exactly that there was a parasitic alien before the Nostromo found out without actually being there in person first.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 11, 2015, 05:02:16 PMI highly doubt even the company knew beforehand exactly that there was a life form (they would have to of been inside the derelict ship first hand  :P), if the company was suspecting anything beforehand, it was "something" of interest at the time.

Then how do you explain Special Order 937 specifically mentioning a lifeform?

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 11, 2015, 05:24:43 PM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 11, 2015, 05:02:16 PMI highly doubt even the company knew beforehand exactly that there was a life form (they would have to of been inside the derelict ship first hand  :P), if the company was suspecting anything beforehand, it was "something" of interest at the time.

What your quoting is special order 937, as far as I know it's just company procedure put in place in the event any new life form is discovered so that it can be studied.

In other words, I think MOTHER was quoting some higher up company rule book. A rule that the company can act on accordingly if a life form were ever discovered in any circumstance. There are likely hundreds of other special orders put in place with the intention of having set company plans of action for dealing with numerous situations.

Including 66. >_>

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 11, 2015, 05:47:11 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 11, 2015, 05:24:43 PM

What your quoting is special order 937, as far as I know it's just company procedure put in place in the event any new life form is discovered so that it can be studied.

In other words, I think MOTHER was quoting some higher up company rule book. A rule that the company can act on accordingly if a life form were ever discovered in any circumstance. There are likely hundreds of other special orders put in place with the intention of having set company plans of action for dealing with numerous situations.

If so, why would #937 include "Nostromo rerouted to new coordinates"?

Vertigo

Vertigo

Yeah, it seems to be a very specific order. Maybe they intercepted the LV426 derelict's signal via some long-range means, and either translated the contents, or just assumed the Nostromo would find a member of whatever species left the signal (the jockey). But maybe they couldn't pinpoint the exact location in space, so just covertly planted sleeper agents on a bunch of vessels passing through the region and changed their course, in order to systematically comb it for the source of the signal. The Nostromo ended up being the unlucky one - maybe there were a hundred more Ashes on a hundred other ships.

The secrecy being to prevent rival corporations from cottoning on to what they'd found. Whether they were after the xenomorph or the space jockey, either find would have massive implications. We've never had indication of any other sentient species in the Alien universe.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Vertigo on Jan 11, 2015, 06:55:35 PMThe secrecy being to prevent rival corporations from cottoning on to what they'd found. Whether they were after the xenomorph or the space jockey, either find would have massive implications. We've never had indication of any other sentient species in the Alien universe.

Or, as in Aliens, some corporate types who thought they might be on to something and didn't fancy splitting the financial benefits of the discovery with their superiors, at least not until they had something concrete to bargain with.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

I didn't think about the ship's name being mentioned. "Referencing" would of been a better choice of words than "quoting", because that is rather specific. I'd think it would mention Nostromo because that just happens to be the ship involved in the situation.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jan 11, 2015, 07:29:12 PM
I didn't think about the ship's name being mentioned. "Referencing" would of been a better choice of words than "quoting", because that is rather specific. I'd think it would mention Nostromo because that just happens to be the ship involved in the situation.

Well by all means, believe what you like. I really can't muster up the will to debate with a guy who says things like "would of" (god, how it hurt to type that).

The Dutch Ghost

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 11, 2015, 12:02:52 PMWhy would she want to tell anyone? Every person of influence who's found out about them has tried to exploit them, leading to disaster, and despite his extreme methods Marlow was absolutely correct - the only way to defeat the Xenomorph is to leave it well alone.

I get what you mean but keeping quiet doesn't help in this case.
Someone is bound to sooner or later come across the wreckage again and even if Amanda's warnings are not taken seriously by most, the information will be out and will probably be recorded somewhere.
If anything these warnings would make clear why people should not go out and disturb Pilot installations and just blow them up from orbit.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 11, 2015, 12:02:52 PMRiver of Pain confirms they know as much. Knowing the vague area of space is very different from knowing the precise location. Space is vast.

I don't read the books nor do I consider them canon.
I acknowledged that space is vast, even a sector is probably a cube of perhaps several light years by light years, but when there is FTL travel there is also bound to be some means to systematically map space and search for anomalies when people are determined enough.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Dutch Ghost on Jan 11, 2015, 08:42:11 PMSomeone is bound to sooner or later come across the wreckage again and even if Amanda's warnings are not taken seriously by most, the information will be out and will probably be recorded somewhere.

Who says anyone will ever find it again? The Anesidora only found it by following the Nostromo's flight recorder, and the Nostromo only found it because it was specifically rerouted there in response to a probe detecting the signal (a signal that isn't broadcasting any more). The moon clearly isn't anywhere near any established transit routes, otherwise it would've been found earlier. The chances of someone stumbling upon again it are literally infinitesimal.

Quote from: The Dutch Ghost on Jan 11, 2015, 08:42:11 PMIf anything these warnings would make clear why people should not go out and disturb Pilot installations and just blow them up from orbit.

The original signal coming from LV-426 was a warning. Ripley managed to work that out in about five minutes, so Weyland-Yutani obviously knew too. Did that warning stop them? No, they actively investigated it as a result.

Quote from: The Dutch Ghost on Jan 11, 2015, 08:42:11 PMI acknowledged that space is vast, even a sector is probably a cube of perhaps several light years by light years, but when there is FTL travel there is also bound to be some means to systematically map space and search for anomalies when people are determined enough.

The colonists on LV-426 couldn't find the derelict ship even though they were on the same moon. So how were they supposed to find it from space?

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 11, 2015, 08:54:43 PM
Quote from: The Dutch Ghost on Jan 11, 2015, 08:42:11 PM...keeping quiet doesn't help in this case.
Someone is bound to sooner or later come across the wreckage again and even if Amanda's warnings are not taken seriously by most, the information will be out and will probably be recorded somewhere.

Who says anyone will ever find it again? The Anesidora only found it by following the Nostromo's flight recorder, and the Nostromo only found it because it was specifically rerouted there in response to a probe detecting the signal (a signal that isn't broadcasting any more). The moon clearly isn't anywhere near any established transit routes, otherwise it would've been found earlier. The chances of someone stumbling upon again it are literally infinitesimal.

Yeah, this. Once the beacon is shut off, that's it. Even if anyone else knew the planet the derelict was on (an unsurveyed planetoid a very long way from anywhere), they could comb the surface for decades (and probably way longer, given LV426's inclement weather) without finding anything. Burke only knew the co-ordinates after the Narcissus was recovered.
Perfectly conceivable for Amanda to think that if she kept schtum, nobody would ever find the derelict again. Which, like Hud said, would be the best scenario.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed