Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 789,367 times)

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: SM on Sep 13, 2016, 04:26:03 AM
Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Sep 13, 2016, 04:12:40 AM
So she dreamed that the cryotubes looked different and that made it come true?

Then she wished them into the wheatfield.

Nice drawing, where is that from?! :)

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 13, 2016, 04:18:43 AM
7 more pages to go guys.  Fill er up!  God, people have to know what happened here!

Busts through the door, a.k.a the endless egg thread, throws a grenade and leaves hoping it just blows up lol

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Sep 13, 2016, 04:12:40 AM
So she dreamed that the cryotubes looked different and that made it come true?

That's exactly right. No, you have to ignore that.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Dream logic is a reasonable attempt to explain the illogical, but if you have to play "This bit counts, that bit doesn't" then I submit that it's not a particularly good theory.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 13, 2016, 04:34:48 AMNice drawing, where is that from?! :)

It's concept art for Ward's wooden planet idea for Alien 3.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Sep 13, 2016, 07:52:36 AM
Dream logic is a reasonable attempt to explain the illogical, but if you have to play "This bit counts, that bit doesn't" then I submit that it's not a particularly good theory.

SM, I maybe mis-remembering, but didn't you mention at some point that the original intention behind the opening was that it was all from a dream-like perspective? I'm remember something from the old AvP2.net/AbsoluteAvP days.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Sep 13, 2016, 07:52:36 AM

Indeed?

SM

SM

Fincher said he wanted the scene to have a dreamlike quality and based on that I contended the events presented are happening, but we see them via the distorted sleeping lens of Ripley. ie. Everything happened, but not as they are literally presented.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Ironically, the only unexplainable thing about her "dream" is the different cryotubes which we see later in the movie when she's awake.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Unfortunately, you have to ignore those cryotubes no matter what theory regarding the egg. At least with the dream theory it can explain why an egg is shown upside-down on a wall.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: PsyKore on Sep 14, 2016, 12:04:38 AMUnfortunately, you have to ignore those cryotubes no matter what theory regarding the egg.

Actually, UPP commandos boarded the ship, removed the passengers from their tubes (without reviving them) and then placed them back in the senior officers' cryotubes (in a different section of the ship) before sending the Sulaco back on her merry way.

Is that any sillier than the premise of Alien: Out of the Shadows?

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: PsyKore on Sep 14, 2016, 12:04:38 AM
Unfortunately, you have to ignore those cryotubes no matter what theory regarding the egg. At least with the dream theory it can explain why an egg is shown upside-down on a wall.

Agreed.  Especially considering it's not a precedent.  'ALIENS' has the best continuity error in terms of anomalous design carried over from the previous movie. 

Ripley's helmet grows a lamp on top.  It was a slow process but after 57 years the lamp gradually sprouted.  The only logical explanation, for sure.

Let's just ignore that, shall we?  lol.  The same can be said for the anomalous design of the cryosleep beds.  It's nothing to make a big deal out of.

-Windebieste.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 14, 2016, 01:24:50 AM
Quote from: PsyKore on Sep 14, 2016, 12:04:38 AM

Agreed.  Especially considering it's not a precedent.  'ALIENS' has the best continuity error in terms of anomalous design carried over from the previous movie.
Unlike the opening of Alien3, Aliens was made with a sincere attempt to not contradict Alien.  Someone made a mistake and Ripley's helmet has a lamp just like the other ones from the Nostromo...not the same thing as willfully changing tubes and ship markings just because they felt like it.

Besides, who says that's the helmet Ripley was wearing at the end of Alien?  Maybe it's from one of the other suits on board? ;)

windebieste

windebieste

It's a gaffe.  Deal with it.  Accept it. 

-Windebieste.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Yes.  I have.  No...or yes, depending on how you look at it.

It exists, some people are annoyed by it.  The complaints aren't going away any more than the goof is.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed