Anyone else think it's time for fox to stop with Predator and Alien?

Started by shakermakerman, Sep 16, 2018, 12:37:19 PM

Author
Anyone else think it's time for fox to stop with Predator and Alien? (Read 8,826 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 17, 2018, 01:01:17 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Sep 17, 2018, 12:45:34 AM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 17, 2018, 12:44:02 AM
The movies need to be put down like a dying dog.

Is the dick broke?  ;)

Had to google that one.

"Dickbroken: The sexual equivalent of heartbroken. "Heartbroken" denoting being in love or at least having some sort of emotional attachment to a girl and being rejected. "Dickbroken" denotes being incredibly physically attracted to a woman and before any sort of relationship or emotional attachment occurs one is rejected."

I'm not sure I get it, is it because I though I would enjoy the movie and got no fanboy boner in return? No reaction while watching The Predator. And considering how it was even when I watched Predators at the theater I'm suprised this happened. First time for me.

:D Yeah, that's a new one for me to. I was referring to Billy's line from the first movie. "I wouldn't waste that on a broke dick dog".

I wouldn't call that a reliable scale though.

"Say Bob, what do you give it?"

"Oh, it's a solid 4. Nope it's a 5...more like a 6 and a half. By God, it might be a 7.  :D

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 17, 2018, 01:05:40 AM
:D Yeah, that's a new one for me to. I was referring to Billy's line from the first movie. "I wouldn't waste that on a broke dick dog".

I don't even remember hearing Billy say that line. I still got the habit of watching movies with my first language's subtitles despite knowing english quite well. So I never paid attention to that. But I just googled and saw the scene lol.

"I wouldn't wish that on a broke-dick dog" is the equivalent of saying "I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy", however, his explanation is a little off.

Broke-dick is military slang for someone who is always or frequently unable to do their job because they are injured, frequently with the implication that the person is either exaggerating or completely lying about their injury. Short of an outright traitor, it's one of the worst things you can be in the military. "Broke-dicks" are usually subject to hazing, insults and other "corrective training".

Now I get it.   :D

Naginata

Naginata

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 17, 2018, 12:44:02 AM
The movies need to be put down like a dying dog.

It's like people want 'the franchise' (beginning to hate that term) to end completely like a good little major film license. A nice, simple, on-brand trilogy of movies with clearly defined rules and the occasional official guidebook. This is futility in its purest form; it's not performing like people want, so they want it to die.

"How do we kill it?" they ask.

Ash explained it way back in 1979: "You can't."

It is immortal. It is indestructible. It will switch genres, combine with other franchises, mutate every sort of tone and trope imaginable, infest every available medium... It is a virus in the otherwise impregnable body of Late Capitalist pop culture; Alien will be stomped flat and rebooted and re-contextualized to the bajeezus, but like a cockroach at a nuclear testing site that's been stomped on three times, the f**ker Will. Not. Die.

A perfect organism. Unclouded by focus groups, fanboys, or delusions of official canon.

Fox should just stop? Fox doesn't get a f**king say. It is the little penis-headed acid monster that's steering this ship. The Company cannot control it. When the sun goes nova and life on Earth is long extinct, there will be a half-crazed AI - the last remnant of human civilization - carving incoherent gibberish into a wall with a rusty knife. Mark my words: said incoherent gibberish will be an Alien sequel.

EDIT: The TL;DR version boils down to "Fox slept around in Sweden without protection, and they brought back a penis monster."

whiterabbit

I don't like that David is the creator of the Alien but I do find interesting the reasoning of why an AI would create such a creature and what makes it perfect in his eyes. Still the truth is that AI reasoning is completely alien to human reasoning and is a very cool concept to explore. David may wear a human skin but he is not human at all. This is what saves Alien: Covenant for me.

Samhain13

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 17, 2018, 01:16:49 AM
Again, I'm not trying to sound like a broken record, but people have been saying that since 2004... And 1997... And 1993...

Not born on 1993, too young on 1997 lol. I never considered that even after the avp movies, they could have been so much better but the damage to the creatures's lore wasn't FUBAR. But now... either another completely unrelated sequel or put it down, fast and painless. I don't want sequels to the last movies we had.

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 17, 2018, 01:16:49 AM
MAMA GIGER DIDN'T RAISE NO FOOL.

I miss Giger.

Naginata

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 17, 2018, 01:27:34 AM
put it down, fast and painless

Quote from:  A certain A20/A2 Synthetic
You still don't know what you're dealing with, do you?

Samhain13

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 17, 2018, 01:33:30 AM

Guess I need to blow it out of the airlock Ripley style.  :P

Spoiler
Or maybe a tree will do the trick
[close]

Huggs

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 17, 2018, 01:39:33 AM

Spoiler
[close]

Nah, just stand still and let the strategically placed terraforming equipment do it for you.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 17, 2018, 01:44:33 AM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 17, 2018, 01:39:33 AM

Spoiler
[close]

Nah, just stand still and let the strategically placed terraforming equipment do it for you.
Oh come on guys. This is now starting to get really sad... it's still funny though. :)

Also, I always took "broke-dick dog" literal. That Billy wouldn't wish that valley route on a dog with a broken (malfunctioning) dick. oh well... don't even know why I even typed that out. At this point I could still delete it but why the hell not post it anyways.

Naginata

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 17, 2018, 01:44:33 AM

Ridley clearly said in the commentary track that it would regenerate from that, sooooooo...  ;D

Huggs

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 17, 2018, 01:48:11 AM
I always took "broke-dick dog" literal. That Billy wouldn't wish that valley route on a dog with a broken (malfunctioning) dick. oh well... don't even know why I even typed that out. At this point I could still delete it but why the hell not post it anyways.

So did I, honestly. Another beloved memory, toasted.  :D

Xenomrph

To answer the thread title's question: no.

Naginata

^ This is the correct answer.

CainsSon

CainsSon

I think the best we can hope for at this point is that DISNEY saves it. I know everyone will say that's crazy because they'll dull it down/neuter it. While this might be true to some extent (I dont like that either ) I actually think DISNEY is a company that will really TRY to make something satisfying in a way that scratches the itch FANS WANT scratched.

I dont hate any of these recent entries by any means. It does drive me crazy how much they all are giant missed opportunities. The last 6 Alien and Predator films are just very unsatisfying. I like them, but they don't scratch the itch the way they should.

ALIENS without the curse words is rated PG13 by todays standards, so I think DISNEY can pull off something with a STRANGER THINGS-ish tone that is at least, satisfying and character driven. The same vibe is almost easier with PREDATOR, but I suspect DISNEYwill just lay PREDATOR to rest and choose to make AVP cartoons.

After seeing THE PREDATOR, Im hoping DISNEY will have the sense to make an animated AVP series that is disconnected from any live-action Alien films or series, they move forward with. I also think DISNEY will know the way forward is to make ALIENS 2 with Sigourney Weaver (especially if HALLOWEEN 2018 does well)...but they need to HTFU.

I used to disagree wildly with the ALIENS 2 idea, and while I ideally want PREQUEL 3 to wrap that mess up, I don't think that is possible to do under DISNEY, at this point. The PREQUELS are just too perverse. I really like that perversity but ALIENS is simpler and neater and I think DISNEY can make a very smart, accessible, fan-satisfying soup, by taking the ALIENS approach.

The trouble now is: if DISNEY sells ALIEN, you can get a hard-R 3rd PREQUEL, but how long will all of that take? For now, DISNEY will definitely TRY to make money off of ALIEN before they sell it and DISNEY will see the profitability and possibility of an AVP animated series. So oddly enough, I think AVP is actually the reason DISNEY will not sell ALIEN, which leaves ALIEN either in limbo for now, or DISNEY moving forward with something like ALIENS or an ALIENS TV SERIES. I doubt anything DISNEY does with ALIEN will be as perverse as the RIDLEY SCOTT films.

Also given the time selling ALIEN off will take DISNEY, I imagine that any Company that may or may not buy the rights to ALIEN and PREDATOR will choose to move on to standalone films, and most likely they would be REMAKES/REBOOTS.

Huggs

I just read an updated plot summary and I do have to say, I'm surprised by the whole situation. We have predators worrying about climate change, and autism being seen as an evolutionary positive. And this isn't even Disney. If we go anywhere from here, I can only hope that what Shane did with this movie will motivate Disney to make the right calls and either stay true to the formula, or sell it to somebody else who really cares about the material.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed