Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 846,959 times)

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Snatch (2000)
Love it.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)
Love it, I just don't like the very ending.
Aside from the ending, I think Lock, Stock is a stronger movie with better pacing.

The Longest Yard (1974)
Thought I'd finally watch this since Mean Machine is remake of this one. Wasn't bad but I think Mean Machine is an improvement.
Meaning Guy Ritchie's upcoming Le Convoyeur remake could be good as well.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 14, 2019, 04:56:46 PM
The Grey (3.5/5)

A fine example of poor (misleading) trailers yet a different but pleasantly enjoyable film.

Huggs

Huggs

Collateral (3/5)

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 14, 2019, 03:48:50 PM

I still have trouble with Charlie Sheen's acting and narration in Platoon.

I thought his performance was fine. I don't know about the narration. Like - an 80s trope? Or necessary? The stuff about sleeping 3/4 hours a night, no one cares about the new guys, it's better to get killed the first few weeks so you don't suffer as much... I think that would have been clunky in dialogue exposition (the again, maybe not) - and would be hard to show-not-tell - there's a lot of information in those letters.

The later stuff about the platoon being at war... not necessary - but I guess the letter writing had been established by this time, so ... why not?

But honestly, neither performance nor the narration were issues for me. The one thing I did think was "oh, we wouldn't do that these days" is when Barnes's eyes go red right at the end... It's just silly these days, though I remember it being really impactful (on me) at the time.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Russ on Oct 15, 2019, 09:16:01 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 14, 2019, 03:48:50 PM

I still have trouble with Charlie Sheen's acting and narration in Platoon.

I thought his performance was fine. I don't know about the narration. Like - an 80s trope? Or necessary? The stuff about sleeping 3/4 hours a night, no one cares about the new guys, it's better to get killed the first few weeks so you don't suffer as much... I think that would have been clunky in dialogue exposition (the again, maybe not) - and would be hard to show-not-tell - there's a lot of information in those letters.

The later stuff about the platoon being at war... not necessary - but I guess the letter writing had been established by this time, so ... why not?

But honestly, neither performance nor the narration were issues for me. The one thing I did think was "oh, we wouldn't do that these days" is when Barnes's eyes go red right at the end... It's just silly these days, though I remember it being really impactful (on me) at the time.

Echos of his old man's own narration in Apocalypse Now.
Also reminds me of that great scene in Hot Shots II when they cross paths on the river `I loved you in Wall Street'

Platoon is a fantastic film. Right up there with the best War films in my book.

The Old One

The Old One

After rewatching Batman 1989 I really don't think it holds up anymore, not really by any fault of it's own apart from clunky aspects, especially the dialogue (I want to know we're going to try to love each other.) But because other sources improved upon it on every way since.
But it must be credited for totally inspiring modern Batman. But it's sequel is just more polished.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Prez on Oct 15, 2019, 09:51:10 AM

Also reminds me of that great scene in Hot Shots II when they cross paths on the river `I loved you in Wall Street'

I totally forgot Apocalypse Now... spot on.

and lol @hot shots II - I've not seen it in years.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Russ on Oct 15, 2019, 12:08:31 PM
Quote from: Prez on Oct 15, 2019, 09:51:10 AM

I totally forgot Apocalypse Now... spot on.

and lol @hot shots II - I've not seen it in years.

Oh yeah, while I'm critical of Charlie, Martin Sheen's acting in Apocalypse Now is something I can get behind! 

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 15, 2019, 12:04:50 PM
After rewatching Batman 1989 I really don't think it holds up anymore, not really by any fault of it's own apart from clunky aspects, especially the dialogue (I want to know we're going to try to love each other.) But because other sources improved upon it on every way since.
But it must be credited for totally inspiring modern Batman. But it's sequel is just more polished.

Batman 1989 is still aces in my book because it has my favorite live-action Joker!

Huggs

Huggs

Gojira (4.5/5)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Good shit. I could live without the weird mandog thing, which is more WTF than it is scary, but otherwise this is great.

Huggs

Huggs

Bullitt (4/5)

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

In one of those moods so I keep coming back to Sicario and Sicario: Day of the Soldado.

I remember seeing the first one in theaters but not being really into it at first, but after like several viewings after it was out of theaters it really grew on me, and I never did get to see Soldado until it aired on cable, then I had to rush out and get the bluray for both since I only had the first film on DVD and needed a upgrade.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: KiramidHead on Oct 16, 2019, 04:11:16 AM
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Good shit. I could live without the weird mandog thing, which is more WTF than it is scary, but otherwise this is great.

That ending still terrifies me

Starship Troopers 3: Marauder
Great to see Casper Van Dien back as Rico and actually there's a really good story underneath all this. Just wish it had had a bigger budget

The Fifth Element
Still fantastic after all this time and the effects still hold up. Especially against some films made today

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Oct 16, 2019, 10:35:03 AM
Starship Troopers 3: Marauder
Great to see Casper Van Dien back as Rico and actually there's a really good story underneath all this. Just wish it had had a bigger budget

Agreed. Even with the low budget, I kept pinching myself during the first two acts wondering... am I dreaming because I really like this! 

Unfortunately, it then totally fell appart for me in the third act.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Shrooms

All this had going for it is that one of the bad guys is played by Jack Gleeson, but he's barely in it. Honestly, if you want to see a bunch of dumbass Americans tripping balls in the middle of nowhere in Europe, just watch Midsommar.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed