Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 319,400 times)

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Prometheus isnt really a bad movie, its a badly edited movie, that's the main problem. The first hour is really enjoyable on many levels, but there's clearly a lot missing in the second and particularly the third act, some bad writing in there doesnt help, as well as some bad choices along the way. 

8thPassenger

8thPassenger

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Jun 02, 2012, 01:15:54 AM
crap score which sounds more like it belongs in superman with the repetitive upbeat jingle

Yeah, that repeating melody was annoying as hell! It was ok in the beginning of the film, since it has this uplifting and curious vibe to it, but using the same theme all throughout the movie was just annoying.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: JaaayDee on Jun 02, 2012, 04:18:19 AM
So, anyone in this thread that would place Prometheus down with AvP1&2?
Despite my reservations ... hell no!

Quote from: RoaryUK on Jun 02, 2012, 07:15:27 AM
Prometheus isnt really a bad movie, its a badly edited movie, that's the main problem. The first hour is really enjoyable on many levels, but there's clearly a lot missing in the second and particularly the third act, some bad writing in there doesnt help, as well as some bad choices along the way. 
Agree completely.

Quote from: 8thPassenger on Jun 02, 2012, 07:43:41 AM
Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Jun 02, 2012, 01:15:54 AM
crap score which sounds more like it belongs in superman with the repetitive upbeat jingle

Yeah, that repeating melody was annoying as hell! It was ok in the beginning of the film, since it has this uplifting and curious vibe to it, but using the same theme all throughout the movie was just annoying.
Yeah, that theme was unnecessary for many of the scenes. It completely punctured the atmosphere. Imagine playing the Indiana Jones theme tune during Kane's post-derelict examination  :P

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: 8thPassenger on Jun 02, 2012, 07:43:41 AMYeah, that repeating melody was annoying as hell! It was ok in the beginning of the film, since it has this uplifting and curious vibe to it, but using the same theme all throughout the movie was just annoying.

I agree. It was used perfectly in the opening, but felt out of place when David was in the control room for example. :-\

dave1978

dave1978

Saw it last night, not going to go into detail its all been said above,  BUT.

What went wrong? 

The script, the editing?  my word they were poor.

I just feel so so let down with this,  it didnt even come close to expectations.

Lets just hope that the directors cut is 45 minutes longer and fixed this.

Melack

Melack

Shaw's baby might not have been creatively impressive, but damn I thought it did it's job in being incredibly creepy and unsettling. And the proto-Xeno was awesome, the last shot blew my mind.

Seems like this will go down as one of those movies that I'm pretty alone in embracing. Which is too bad with this film cause a part from a more filmmaking level I feel there is so much interesting to discuss and theorize about when it comes to this film-universe. So many questions, so little answers. I like that!

Eva

Eva

AvP had the heroine team up with a predator and running around with an alien head shield... AvP2s hero was a pizza delivery guy. Allright...?  ;)

The details about Prometheus that bugs me the most right now, are still on an entirely different level than the entirety of those films...

Pretty much every Ridley movie I've seen that has been granted a DC version, has come out a better film. This will most likely be no exception. If some scenes are re-edited as well in a DC, then we are really talking...

About the last creature - to me it looked quite CGI'ed as compared to the snakehugger which looked real. The lighting in the last scene wasn't up to Ridleys standards - they showed too much when imo less would have been more.

MrLee

MrLee

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jun 02, 2012, 06:23:17 AM
You can probably discount anyone who says that Prometheus is a 'bad' movie... as they have no critical faculties.  ;)

Hmmm, thats why most people are here are slating the movie.... most people coming up with similar things that piss them of. Sounds like a failed movie to me. I mean my review or anyone elses in which they explain what they felt was wrong is obviously just a pile of crap right....

8thPassenger

8thPassenger

Quote from: Eva on Jun 02, 2012, 09:47:12 AMAbout the last creature - to me it looked quite CGI'ed as compared to the snakehugger which looked real. The lighting in the last scene wasn't up to Ridleys standards - they showed too much when imo less would have been more.

Agree 100%. I would have preferred something like a shadowy image of the creature lifting his head.

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

I really want to see Harry Plinkett's review of Prometheus

Here's his view of another prequel.... (and man, this guy has HOURS of reviews on his website)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI#

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

@eva, agreed, but also the last scene (birth) was very low key, it wasn't dramatic at all unlike the kane scene or bambi in alien3 etc. add that to the rubbish protoxeno design which looked totally unconvincing then we have a pretty crappy ending which should have been the highlight of the movie.

and even though avp1 and avp2 are not great, i do think they have some far better and more dramatic death scenes, and a much better score!

thanks

rich

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 01, 2012, 04:35:15 PM
Slept on it, and hashed out my thoughts: http://alienseries.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/prometheus-review.html

Fantastic review, Johnny. Love reading your stuff.

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

just something else to add thats bothering me...

the starmaps..., now the starmaps are found all over the world and are dated thousands of years apart, and also david is seen learning ancient languages in the hope of being able to communicate with the engineers, which in turn implies that the engineers have been visitng earth over the years and overseeing/helping with our development, which then makes their order to destroy us even more perplexing, why go to all that trouble seeding earth, helping development and showing us the way to find them just to decide to destory us and kill the people that do find them....

thanks

rich

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Jun 02, 2012, 10:29:52 AM

the starmaps..., now the starmaps are found all over the world and are dated thousands of years apart, and also david is seen learning ancient languages in the hope of being able to communicate with the engineers, which in turn implies that the engineers have been visitng earth over the years and overseeing/helping with our development, which then makes their order to destroy us even more perplexing, why go to all that trouble seeding earth, helping development and showing us the way to find them just to decide to destory us and kill the people that do find them....

thanks

rich

I think the answer to this, and all the other mystery and inconsistency is....

there is no answer.

I genuinely think the writers threw all this together and didn't give any thought to how it makes sense. Even IF archaeologists had a couple of blobs they thought were a map of a planetary system, or a cluster of stars, then I cannot see any rational explanation for how this could be linked to a real star system, least of all a very faint (from Earth) star as Zeta II Reticuli. How this was done with the Betty and Barney Hill map, upon which the Prometheus star map is based, is - as Click & Clack would say - Booooogus!

And then there is the proper motion of stars over periods of tens of thousands of years. In other words, stars move at very high velocities relative to one another, so constellations can change substantially over time. If you have a 35,000 yr old map, it's useless unless you can correct for the relative motion, and you can only do that if you know which stars they are...

It's drivel basically.  Back me up Deuterium

Eva

Eva

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Jun 02, 2012, 10:29:52 AM

I've been trying to connect the dots within what we are shown in the film, combined with what Lindelof have said about the Prometheus angle and tidbits of Alien.

My best guess right now is that all the murals/carvings etc. depict the one and same engineer - only 1. This is our Prometheus. The 'god' who granted us knowledge we were never meant to aquire in the first place. Supplying us with the building blocks that became the basis of our rapid emergence as a civilization in our own right, eventually becoming 'engineers' ourselves with the ability to experiment with and create life.

So who was the sacrifice engineer? He could simply just have been an engineer carrying out his mission, planting DNA building blocks on Earth. Gigers original lifecycle mural depicted them as embracing death as a natural consequence of creating new life. This is imo what's essentially happening at the waterfall sequence. It is an idea that is hinted at several times in Prometheus, death as a precusor for life, children killing their parents etc.

Regarding Prometheus, if my idea above holds any merit, I would imagine that he did what he did unknowingly to his own civilization. It's my theory that humankind was never meant to evolve on its own to the degree where we would become selfaware about our possibilities and capabilities, feeding our ambitions further. I think we were simply planted to fill a stage in a larger lifecycle experiment involving other creatures. The engineers clearly worship the xenomorph shape or what it represents.

As to what went down in the temple, why the last engineer is still hanging around at the complex and other things, I'm still collating on those...  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed