Started by Frosty Venom, Oct 04, 2018, 05:57:26 PM

Which do you like better?

Prometheus
70 (50%)
Alien Covenant
70 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Author
Prometheus or Alien Covenant? (Read 34,321 times)

Baron Von Marlon

We'd look different at Prometheus if we got a different sequel.
I think if they let Ridley have his way with the "prequel" series, without any studio interference, it would all come together in the end.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Dec 19, 2018, 02:38:44 AM
We'd look different at Prometheus if we got a different sequel.
I think if they let Ridley have his way with the "prequel" series, without any studio interference, it would all come together in the end.

Prometheus' problems were all internal. The story it set up was fine - great, even - but no sequel was ever going to fix the inconsistent writing and sloppy editing that held it back from completely delivering on its promise of greatness.

Conceptually Prometheus was strong, but it faltered narratively and on a technical level despite all of the merit it has and the ideas that it proposes. Covenant has the benefit of being both conceptually interesting and able to deliver on those concepts with more consistent internal writing and editing.

The Old One

The Old One

Never seen anyone put it better.

Huggs

Huggs

Here's something they could've done after Prometheus.

1. Let the Shaw and David storyline continue in literary form. Instead of the God awful Covenant prequel, let Foster focus on Shaw and David's journey to paradise. Lots of room for David to manipulate and go psychotic on the juggernaut. Lots of opportunities to learn about the engineer culture and technology.

2. Green light a completely new Alien film set during or after the events of the original trilogy. Just a new set of characters encountering the xenomorphs. No philosophy, no Ripley, no android with some kind of Pinocchio syndrome. Focus on good character development, interesting dialogue, and good set design/usage. A straight up, old school Alien film. And for God's sake, return to the retro-futuristic style seen in the original film and Isolation.

It's still not too late. They should still pen that novel about the journey to paradise, and give us a new film in the style of the original. Isolation proved it can be done.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 19, 2018, 04:50:08 AM
Prometheus' problems were all internal. The story it set up was fine - great, even - but no sequel was ever going to fix the inconsistent writing and sloppy editing that held it back from completely delivering on its promise of greatness.

Conceptually Prometheus was strong, but it faltered narratively and on a technical level despite all of the merit it has and the ideas that it proposes. Covenant has the benefit of being both conceptually interesting and able to deliver on those concepts with more consistent internal writing and editing.

Agree to disagree.
I certainly don't think it's a perfect movie but to me it's like the first chapter in a book. But we never got the supposed following chapters.
Just an alternative version of where the story might take us. More consistent, yes. More interesting, not imo.

On a similar note: At The Mountains Of Madness is considered one of the most known/popular Lovecraft stories. But many people say it's not his best writing wise.

The Old One

The Old One

Covenant Origins was godawful.

We can all agree on that at least.

SM

SM

Who's this "we" kemosabe?

Voodoo Magic

Well technically someone can refer to themself as "we" if one is possessed by demons.  Like Emily in "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" where she was possessed not only by 8 demons , but Lucifer himself.  For Emily, "we" was the proper pronoun to use.

The Kurgan

It was also common among royalty or other persons in a high office to use the "royal we" or pluralis maiestatis, referencing to themself as we instead of I  ;)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Dec 19, 2018, 06:26:43 AM
On a similar note: At The Mountains Of Madness is considered one of the most known/popular Lovecraft stories. But many people say it's not his best writing wise.

Speaking of, that's one of the last few "big" Lovecraft stories I haven't yet read. I need to give that a go, thanks for the reminder!

For the time being, The Colour Out of Space is my favorite.

chappaeye

chappaeye

I'm not interested in the "evil AI agenda" that these sequels have taken course with. I think we already got a taste of this in the original "Alien" with Ash. Then again with "Blade Runner" (original film) and our AI creations wanting to destroy their creators. I also had my fill with "Hal" in "2001." I don't mind at all if we get no other films if we're staying on course with the "evil AI agenda"...queue the "dun, dun, dun, dun" music score. 

If Riddles doesn't want do do anything more with the "alien" because it's "cooked" and he doesn't want to start something new with the "Space Jockey" origins, then about the only other angle I would have been interested in with the prequels was how the "company" was out to screw anyone and everyone (including each other) over for a "percentage" or "profit." Could have had a whole new perspective on the company's "greed," etc. and I would have liked that more than the evil AI thing.

No more evil David "AI" stuff though. I'm over it officially. If we can't get a new direction with the "alien" and we can't get any clarification on the origins of the "Space Jockey" or the "accelerant" (black goo), then about the only other thing I'm interested in is just how horrible and evil the "company" can be or to what extent we humans can take "greed" to the next level in the future in that Alien/Aliens universe. Could have been a whole new level of dystopian drama, but no...had to go with evil AI. 

So Riddles if you are lurking, some of us don't want to see any more of the David AI stuff and if you're not going to do anything new with the "alien" and won't give us something new with the "engineers," then please give us something new with how horrible the company is. At least that will give us a new look into the Alien/Aliens universe. I'll settle for dystopian drama over evil AI drama any day. 

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Dec 19, 2018, 06:44:22 AM
Covenant Origins was godawful.

We can all agree on that at least.

You'd think.

oh-tee-bee-dee.

SM

SM

Out There Be Dickheads.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Dec 19, 2018, 11:10:02 PM
Out There Be Dickheads.

I hear there's a high concentration of them in Wabasha.

El Pistolero

I think Ridley would like to do an AI movie with the combination of the question of God. It could be that the next step is David creating life on a different planet and plays God. But it is very obvious that Ridley is on the god trip.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed