Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 839,703 times)

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 09, 2019, 08:22:22 PM
Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Apr 09, 2019, 06:33:30 PMCollateral (2004)
Second viewing since its release. And now I remember why. I was voting for the bad guy.
Damn you, Jamie Foxx. He had to ruin things just like he did in Law Abiding Citizen.

I absolutely love that movie. Cruise is one badass motherf*cker in it. The scene where he draws down on the two muggers in the alley and gives them both two in the chest and one in the head in like two seconds is incredible. Michael Mann must be a stickler for properly drilling his actors on how to handle firearms, because it always comes across on-screen.

So damn good.  Wasn't Heat used as an example in military training for how to properly check that a magazine is full?  Or was that a rumor?  Either way, Cruise steals that movie, not that I have anything against Jamie Foxx, he's great too.  The whole cast is awesome, but Cruise is on another level, and seeing him play a villain added to the experience

MudButt

MudButt

Collateral is one of my favorites of all time. I wish Cruise would do another role like that.

LastSonofKrypton

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 09, 2019, 08:26:05 PMWasn't Heat used as an example in military training for how to properly check that a magazine is full?  Or was that a rumor?

I've no idea if it's genuinely true, but I've heard that too. It's a shot of Val Kilmer reloading his AR-15 during the big bank robbery shootout that has apparently been used as a textbook example of how to do it. All the lead actors in that were trained by ex-SAS man Andy McNab (the bloke who wrote Bravo Two Zero) so you'd hope they'd know what they were doing :laugh: Pretty sure Cruise was trained by some former SAS people too.

Another thing that I love about Collateral is the fact that Jason Statham's character at the beginning is supposed to be the guy he plays in the Transporter films ;D

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 09, 2019, 08:34:31 PM
Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 09, 2019, 08:26:05 PMWasn't Heat used as an example in military training for how to properly check that a magazine is full?  Or was that a rumor?

I've no idea if it's genuinely true, but I've heard that too. It's a shot of Val Kilmer reloading his AR-15 during the big bank robbery shootout that has apparently been used as a textbook example of how to do it. All the lead actors in that were trained by ex-SAS man Andy McNab (the bloke who wrote Bravo Two Zero) so you'd hope they'd know what they were doing :laugh: Pretty sure Cruise was trained by some former SAS people too.

Another thing that I love about Collateral is the fact that Jason Statham's character at the beginning is supposed to be the guy he plays in the Transporter films ;D

Yeah I loved that scene.  Back when shared universes were just a pipe dream

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 09, 2019, 08:20:10 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Apr 09, 2019, 08:08:18 PM
The same level? It doesn't induce headaches or it induces migraines?
MoS gave me a genuine headache because of the action primarily.
BvS, everything's headache inducing. The script especially.

Not on the same level because as far as I'm concerned, MoS and BvS are comic book movie masterpieces

I get you like them, and happy you do, but "masterpieces"?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 09, 2019, 08:34:31 PM

That's the most random crossover ever. :laugh:

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 09, 2019, 08:47:58 PM
Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 09, 2019, 08:20:10 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Apr 09, 2019, 08:08:18 PM
The same level? It doesn't induce headaches or it induces migraines?
MoS gave me a genuine headache because of the action primarily.
BvS, everything's headache inducing. The script especially.

Not on the same level because as far as I'm concerned, MoS and BvS are comic book movie masterpieces

I get you like them, and happy you do, but "masterpieces"?

Yep

P-Rock

P-Rock

The extended cut of BvS: Dawn of Justice is awesome.

Too bad Whedon ruined Shyder's Justice League by reshooting about 70% of the movie.

The Old One

The Old One

Can't ruin trash.
And every Zack Snyder film is.

Maybe Watchmen and MoS' passable.
& 300?
http://tinyurl.com/ZackSnyder300

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Oldboy 10/10

Huggs

Huggs

Master and Commander

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 09, 2019, 11:33:06 PM
Oldboy 10/10

The remake?

The Old One

The Old One

Total Recall.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

All I can think when I read all this superhero movie discussion is

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 09, 2019, 08:22:22 PM
I absolutely love that movie. Cruise is one badass motherf*cker in it. The scene where he draws down on the two muggers in the alley and gives them both two in the chest and one in the head in like two seconds is incredible. Michael Mann must be a stickler for properly drilling his actors on how to handle firearms, because it always comes across on-screen.

Yeah, it's one of my favorite Cruise roles. And that scene is kick-ass indeed.
All this is why I find it so sad the movie didn't turn out different storywise.
And with the similar stuff happening in Law Abiding Citizen, watching Jamie Foxx makes it extra annoying to me. Even though it's one of his better performances.

Didn't know the Transporter link. Fun "fact", true or not.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: P-Rock on Apr 09, 2019, 10:26:37 PM
The extended cut of BvS: Dawn of Justice is awesome.

Too bad Whedon ruined Shyder's Justice League by reshooting about 70% of the movie.

Yep.

Spoiler
It really upsets me that WB didn't just back Snyder as opposed to cutting out the half-hour of the film that made it make sense. I believe it was down to the run time and they wanted to get more bums on seats - and the same was true of JL. Not only the reshoots but also the directive that it had to be less than two hours long.

But in any event, tragic personal circumstances caused Snyder to leave the JL project - nothing could be done, but Whedon was the last person they should have got on that show.

MoS has its flaws, but its still a great movie; I think they made bold choices, Cavill and Shannon were superb and I loved the brooding tone. An introspective Superman goes against the grain, right? He's always been the "super" man - an aspirational figure that none of could ever be. A god with all the decent human tendencies and none of the bad.

Grounding him was, as I say, a brave choice.

I also thought that the choice to show the actual destruction that a super-powered pagga would cause on a cityscape was incredible. Like - action = consequences. One of the criticisms levelled at Superman Returns was the lack of action and just had him "lifting stuff." Snyder delivered a full on war - and gets decried by the same people cos "Superman would have known better than to do that."

Storywise - he's been Superman for all of five minutes. Film-wise - they'd all be bitching if it was a fight in the desert. The truth is, this is a man with super-powers. He wants to do the right thing - but he makes mistakes. Bad choices. Errors in judgement. I loved that - and let us not forget, this was the first part of a four film arc for this character (Mos, BvS, JL I & II). I've no doubt he'd emerged more Chris Reeves at the end of all that.

MoS does have its wobbles, but I think it's the second best Superman film... the 78 one trumps it for heart and my nostalgic loyalty.

BvS is a different kettle of fish - the Ultimate Cut as you say is full of ace and awesome, but there are problems with it plotwise (Lex unleashes Doomsday, Doomsday kills Superman... and then what? How do you stop Doomsday without Superman? Unless you argue that Lex - by this stage - has descended into total insanity).

"Martha" - ah, how great that must have sounded in the writers room. If only he'd said "My mother - they're going to kill my mother" - given Bruce pause and Lois (a human) throws herself on Clark to protect him ... that works as well as Martha, really.

Are these movies masterpieces? Not sure about that that - flawed masterpieces maybe. Reached for the stars and fell short... but there was a solid foundation there that has of course been entirely undermined now.

As great as Shazam! was - tonally, it doesn't fit in the SnyderVerse. I believe that Suicide Squad was originally as close to a horror movie as you could get - before the reshoots and Marvelising... And the less said about Justice League (even though I'm predisposed to like it) the better.

I've totally derailed the thread.
[close]

I saw "Us" last night.  Not sure I liked it all that much.

Spoiler
The "twist" at the end was really unnecessary
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed