Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 839,810 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Solo: A Star Wars Story.....again
Seeing this for a second time actually improved it in most respects. Sure some bits still irked me, but it actually feels closer to the original trilogy in style now. If it had been done in the 90's I think it would have been received better

Russ

Russ

Game Over, Man. Die Hard style comedy that was entirely juvenile ... and hilarious. Sorry, but I really enjoyed.

Did "Fury" and "Hacksaw Ridge" back to back. "Ridge" - despite all the violence was saccharine compared to "Fury" which I really enjoyed. I think watching the two in one sitting lessened the "Hacksaw Ridge" experience. 

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

Killing Gunther (2017) - Meh, wasn't all that and not really that funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeLp9-k9-LQ

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

They Remain (2018)
From the guy who made Europa Report.
Cool premise but I wasn't big on the execution. Too abstract for my taste.
Too bad as I was kinda looking forward to this one.

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on May 29, 2018, 10:29:56 PM
Killing Gunther (2017) - Meh, wasn't all that and not really that funny.

It needed more Gunther.
Thought it was pretty good. Arnie killed it as Gunther. I think he shines playing parts like this.

Russ

Russ

I really loved Europa Report.

I watched the Cloverfield Paradox. Was good, apart from the tie into Cloverfield which was an afterthought I think I read - like it was never intended to be part of that franchise?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Huggs on May 27, 2018, 04:04:52 AMSaving Private Ryan - Blu-Ray. Still good, but it's starting to lose it's impact for me personally. Hard to believe it's been 20 years.

It's a trip though, I remember when they played it "unedited" on regular television once back in the day. It was some special broadcasting, and I can't remember if it was CBS, NBC or ABC. But man, it was just unheard of to hear the F-Word being dropped and see people losing body parts on national television. I can't remember why they played it, but everybody I knew was talking about it and watched it that night. I seem to remember one of the anchors talking about the limited commercial breaks and warning viewers about the content it was going to contain.

That film's rated a 15 in the UK, and to this day I'm convinced the only reason it didn't get an 18 certificate is because of its important historical context, particularly with regards to the opening D-Day sequence. If you had that level of violence and gore in any other movie it would've got the higher rating without question, but because it was such an accurate document of Second World War combat, it got by with a more lenient certificate - one that allowed it to be shown educationally in schools, something I remember happening when I was at secondary. It's also undoubtedly what led to it being shown uncut on US TV.

When it came out though, it was so much more harrowing than anything else I had seen with a 15 rating, I couldn't believe it wasn't an 18.

As a piece of movie-making, it genuinely changed things. There have been countless war films since with similarly-styled hyper-realistic - and graphic - combat sequences, many of which have similarly managed to show some pretty extreme stuff with a 15 certificate (Band of Brothers springs immediately and obviously to mind), but I certainly can't recall seeing anything even half as visceral and shocking before Private Ryan came out.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Russ on May 30, 2018, 08:39:11 AM

I watched the Cloverfield Paradox. Was good, apart from the tie into Cloverfield which was an afterthought I think I read - like it was never intended to be part of that franchise?

Love Europa Report too.
You might like The Beyond (2017) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5723416/
It's not as good as Europa Report but it's a similar take on a different sci-fi subject.

You're right about Paradox. They used an existing script and wrote in a tie-in to Cloverfield.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 30, 2018, 11:42:10 AM
Quote from: Huggs on May 27, 2018, 04:04:52 AMSaving Private Ryan - Blu-Ray. Still good, but it's starting to lose it's impact for me personally. Hard to believe it's been 20 years.

It's a trip though, I remember when they played it "unedited" on regular television once back in the day. It was some special broadcasting, and I can't remember if it was CBS, NBC or ABC. But man, it was just unheard of to hear the F-Word being dropped and see people losing body parts on national television. I can't remember why they played it, but everybody I knew was talking about it and watched it that night. I seem to remember one of the anchors talking about the limited commercial breaks and warning viewers about the content it was going to contain.

That film's rated a 15 in the UK, and to this day I'm convinced the only reason it didn't get an 18 certificate is because of its important historical context, particularly with regards to the opening D-Day sequence. If you had that level of violence and gore in any other movie it would've got the higher rating without question, but because it was such an accurate document of Second World War combat, it got by with a more lenient certificate - one that allowed it to be shown educationally in schools, something I remember happening when I was at secondary. It's also undoubtedly what led to it being shown uncut on US TV.

When it came out though, it was so much more harrowing than anything else I had seen with a 15 rating, I couldn't believe it wasn't an 18.

As a piece of movie-making, it genuinely changed things. There have been countless war films since with similarly-styled hyper-realistic - and graphic - combat sequences, many of which have similarly managed to show some pretty extreme stuff with a 15 certificate (Band of Brothers springs immediately and obviously to mind), but I certainly can't recall seeing anything even half as visceral and shocking before Private Ryan came out.
I saw it with my dad at the beach (ironically) when it was fresh at the movie theater. It was SO LOUD for the beach scenes, probably lost some hearing bc of it.

As for me...

Carnosaur (1993)
The annual Memorial Day viewing of this B classic. Still can not figure out
Spoiler
how Doc let the vaccine just sit of a shelf and offer it to the commando flamethrower.
[close]

7/10

Carnosaur 2 (1996?)
The other annual Memorial Day movie viewing. This one might be my favorite just for the cover saying how if you put ALIENS and Jurassic Park in a blender and this is what you get. They did practically steal everything from Aliens and make it with Dinos and hilarious actors. One guy even comes back in Carnosaur 3 as another character LOL

8.5/10

IZE

IZE

The Decent (2006) - Probably one of the best horror films of the 2000's still holds up very well since its initial release although i think it would have been scarier had they played up the psychological aspect a bit. 8.5/10

Huggs

Huggs

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - Blu-Ray

Not as great as I remember. I guess having Davy Jones for a bad guy was just too good. Currently working my way through the series in preparations for Dead Men Tell No Tales.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Carbon Copy (1981)
"Introducing Denzel Washington"  :D
Was kinda fun to see a young Denzel but the movie itself was plain and boring.

Quote from: IZE on May 30, 2018, 08:15:09 PM
The Decent (2006) - Probably one of the best horror films of the 2000's still holds up very well since its initial release although i think it would have been scarier had they played up the psychological aspect a bit. 8.5/10

Which ending did you see and which do you prefer?

IZE

IZE

[/quote]

I've seen both endings I personally perfer the ending where Sarah actually escapes. What about you?

Prez

Prez

Quote from: IZE on May 31, 2018, 05:09:59 AM

I've seen both endings I personally perfer the ending where Sarah actually escapes. What about you?
[/quote]

Interesting wasn't aware of the escape ending - hence why I could never understand her character being in the sequel.
I'm curious to see it now (I'm sure it's on Youtube).

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on May 30, 2018, 03:29:53 PM
Quote from: Russ on May 30, 2018, 08:39:11 AM

Love Europa Report too.
You might like The Beyond (2017) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5723416/
It's not as good as Europa Report but it's a similar take on a different sci-fi subject.

You're right about Paradox. They used an existing script and wrote in a tie-in to Cloverfield.

Nice one, Marlon - thanks for the recommend!

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: IZE on May 31, 2018, 05:09:59 AMI've seen both endings I personally perfer the ending where Sarah actually escapes. What about you?

I prefer the escape ending as well.

Quote from: Prez on May 31, 2018, 05:42:24 AM
Interesting wasn't aware of the escape ending - hence why I could never understand her character being in the sequel.
I'm curious to see it now (I'm sure it's on Youtube).

I think the ending depends on the version.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed