Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,345,763 times)

Gate

Gate

WHY.

She's TASTED human flesh.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

It's not the official Twitter though.

But I DO hope it's the original Tyrannosaurus.

Vertigo

Vertigo

99% sure, personally. The scars are in the right spot, the head shape's the same, and unlike the Lost World rexes, it has the same colour scheme.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Yup! They didn't put the scars there just to look cool, I am sure.

Alien³

Alien³

The Queen of Nublar.

Quote from: Omegazilla on Nov 29, 2014, 10:08:07 AM
It's not the official Twitter though.

It's from the official site...

http://www.JurassicWorld.com

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

Just saw on the website they have a section Baryonyx and a Suchomimus... what for? Those two almost look identical. Would have preferred a bit more diversity with another Theropod, like the Carnotaur/Acrocantosaurus... or maybe another water reptile like the Plesiosaurus.

Got ghoosebumps though from seeing the T-Rex   8)

Vertigo

Vertigo

I think Suchomimus is in there to explain that line in Jurassic Park 3 which implies it was on "InGen's list". Baryonyx is there because it was on JP's tour brochure, they've brought back all the Nublar species.

:Edit: ...except for Herrerasaurus, Proceratosaurus and Segisaurus, and possibly Brachiosaurus and Compsognathus. Huh. I guess they just really like spinosaurids.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Alien³ on Nov 29, 2014, 12:05:28 PM

It's from the official site...

http://www.JurassicWorld.com
Yes, the image is, but not the twit that confirms it.

Quote from: Tangakkai on Nov 29, 2014, 12:16:48 PM
Just saw on the website they have a section Baryonyx and a Suchomimus... what for? Those two almost look identical. Would have preferred a bit more diversity with another Theropod, like the Carnotaur/Acrocantosaurus... or maybe another water reptile like the Plesiosaurus.
Shhhh, we all need more Suchomimus in our lives.

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

Alright Omega, I can live with that argument in mind.   :D

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Vertigo on Nov 29, 2014, 10:46:18 AM
99% sure, personally. The scars are in the right spot, the head shape's the same, and unlike the Lost World rexes, it has the same colour scheme.

I know the movies didn't mention life spans so they can get away with it, but by book standards it shouldn't have lasted this long no? I'm fine with them taking this liberty though I'm just curious. Glad she's back  8)

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: xeno-kaname on Nov 29, 2014, 05:46:21 PM

I know the movies didn't mention life spans do they can get away with it, but by book standards it shouldn't have lasted this long no? I'm fine with them taking this liberty though I'm just curious. Glad she's back  8)

Well the whole question of JP dinosaur lifespans is murky, I don't remember it being addressed in the book or film. In real life, Tyrannosaurus grew up at a similar rate to us, reaching full size in their mid-teens, and I'm pretty sure InGen weren't supposed to have cloned a dinosaur in the 1970s. I dimly remember reading somewhere that JP's bigger dinosaurs were supposed to reach maturity in around 5 years, I don't know if this was based on now-outdated research (as with most of JP1's errors) or if their growth rates were artificially accelerated.

Anyway. The oldest known Tyrannosaurus died at 28, but had been surviving with numerous crippling injuries, so could potentially have lived a lot longer. Tyrannosaurs lived horrifyingly stressful lives, reasonably-complete specimens are typically riddled with deep injuries and infection sites.
So, if you had a solitary animal living in captivity, being fed goats, the upper limit for their lifespan could have been vastly longer. I tried working out an estimate a few years back, using big cats as a reference (which similarly lead brutal lives in the wild), and figured they'd probably have an upper range in the 40s.

...I'm getting sidetracked again. Ok, five second Google search, movie-canon-wise InGen was founded in the '80s, putting Tyrannosaurus at 3-13 years old in the movie. This makes it 25-35 in JW.

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

The old age would also explain the lighter brown color. :P

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Vertigo on Nov 29, 2014, 06:25:16 PM
Quote from: xeno-kaname on Nov 29, 2014, 05:46:21 PM

I know the movies didn't mention life spans do they can get away with it, but by book standards it shouldn't have lasted this long no? I'm fine with them taking this liberty though I'm just curious. Glad she's back  8)

Well the whole question of JP dinosaur lifespans is murky, I don't remember it being addressed in the book or film. In real life, Tyrannosaurus grew up at a similar rate to us, reaching full size in their mid-teens, and I'm pretty sure InGen weren't supposed to have cloned a dinosaur in the 1970s. I dimly remember reading somewhere that JP's bigger dinosaurs were supposed to reach maturity in around 5 years, I don't know if this was based on now-outdated research (as with most of JP1's errors) or if their growth rates were artificially accelerated.

Anyway. The oldest known Tyrannosaurus died at 28, but had been surviving with numerous crippling injuries, so could potentially have lived a lot longer. Tyrannosaurs lived horrifyingly stressful lives, reasonably-complete specimens are typically riddled with deep injuries and infection sites.
So, if you had a solitary animal living in captivity, being fed goats, the upper limit for their lifespan could have been vastly longer. I tried working out an estimate a few years back, using big cats as a reference (which similarly lead brutal lives in the wild), and figured they'd probably have an upper range in the 40s.

...I'm getting sidetracked again. Ok, five second Google search, movie-canon-wise InGen was founded in the '80s, putting Tyrannosaurus at 3-13 years old in the movie. This makes it 25-35 in JW.

It's been about a year since I haven't re-read Jurassic Park so I guess I'll do that again lol I think they do mention life spans but I think it was generalized to all the dinosaurs, which doesn't make much sense. But I don't know maybe I'm remembering things wrong.

Guess I'll finally open this up  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed