Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,345,820 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Xenodog on Apr 20, 2013, 07:53:42 PM
Anyone else ever wondered what the series   first-two films first two films if they'd actually bothered to read the second beyond the chapter titles would be like if they had gone with the darker, more thriller-esque side of it?
I think despite being more niche and considerably less popular (less family friendly obviously) it still could have done quite well. I would have really loved to have seen the Carnotaurus scene from the second book in film, that gripped me so much as a kid.
And of course the missed characters like Levine in the second.

You never know, you might get your wish in 20 year's time.

Quote from: Aspie on Apr 20, 2013, 08:15:19 PM
Quote from: Xenodog on Apr 20, 2013, 08:12:04 PM
Screw you all.  :-\
Screw The Lost World. It was the Hannibal Rising of the JP franchise.

No.

Aspie

Aspie

Yes.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Needz more effort.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 20, 2013, 08:22:08 PM
Quote from: Xenodog on Apr 20, 2013, 07:53:42 PM
Anyone else ever wondered what the series   first-two films first two films if they'd actually bothered to read the second beyond the chapter titles would be like if they had gone with the darker, more thriller-esque side of it?
I think despite being more niche and considerably less popular (less family friendly obviously) it still could have done quite well. I would have really loved to have seen the Carnotaurus scene from the second book in film, that gripped me so much as a kid.
And of course the missed characters like Levine in the second.

You never know, you might get your wish in 20 year's time.

Don't get me wrong, I love the first film like the rest of us here, I just wonder is all.

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Apr 20, 2013, 08:33:55 PM
Needz more effort.

So did The Lost World.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Nah, TLW put all the effort and it succeeds;

you don't even try.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Xenodog on Apr 20, 2013, 08:07:28 PM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Apr 20, 2013, 08:01:25 PM
I really didn't much care for The Lost World novel. I was fine with the changes made.
wat

I just found it boring and uninteresting, and the characters even more underdeveloped than is usual for Crichton. Felt like he really didn't want to make the book, so he didn't put much effort into it; wrote it simply because Spielberg urged it and the fanbase demanded it.

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Apr 20, 2013, 08:39:25 PM
Nah, TLW put all the effort and it succeeds;

you don't even try.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990CE1DF143BF933A25753C1A963958260

QuoteHaving set up this basic mise en scene, Mr. Crichton proceeds to give the reader a tired rehash of "Jurassic Park," one so predictable and unimaginative that it seems to have been intended to save special-effects technicians the hassle of doing new work on the movie sequel. Once again, we see a hungry tyrannosaur snack on one of the bad guys. Once again, we see some voracious velociraptors chase the good guys around. And once again, we see the good guys escape, thanks to the savvy of the children. As in "Jurassic Park," there are lots of scenes of dinosaurs romping about a scenic island and lots of scenes of man's technology succumbing to the raw force of nature. All, needless to say, without the surprise or ingenuity that made "Jurassic Park" entertaining the first time around.

Mr. Crichton has never exactly been known for his attention to character, and "The Lost World" must surely represent a new low in this area. Take, for instance, Ian Malcolm, who was played by Jeff Goldblum in the movie. Except for complaining about the injuries he suffered in "Jurassic Park," Malcolm makes virtually no reference to his previous visit to dino-land: we are not even given any insight into his feelings about returning to the place where he (nearly) died. Given Malcolm's irreverence, it seems hard to believe that he would abide by "nondisclosure agreements" with InGen or the Costa Rican Government, or that he would feel indebted by InGen's payment of his medical bills. Had he -- or Lewis Dodgson, for that matter -- really needed to make money, they could have simply written a book about their experiences in Jurassic Park, gone on the talk-show circuit and made a fortune.

Instead of even making a half-hearted attempt to turn Malcolm into a reasonable facsimile of a person, Mr. Crichton cynically uses him as a mouthpiece for all sorts of portentous techno-babble about chaos theory, extinction theories and mankind's destructive nature. As for the other characters, they are each given handy labels for easy identification. We know that Sarah is a feminist because she's less afraid of the dinosaurs than the men are. We know that Arby and Kelly are resourceful children because they're better at using computers than the adults are. And we know that Dodgson is an evil opportunist because he goes to a dinosaur nest and tries to steal eggs belonging to a loving pair of tyrannosaurs.

lol, the novel was shit from beginning to end.

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Apr 20, 2013, 08:43:28 PM
Quote from: Xenodog on Apr 20, 2013, 08:07:28 PM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Apr 20, 2013, 08:01:25 PM
I really didn't much care for The Lost World novel. I was fine with the changes made.
wat

I just found it boring and uninteresting, and the characters even more underdeveloped than is usual for Crichton. Felt like he really didn't want to make the book, so he didn't put much effort into it; wrote it simply because Spielberg urged it and the fanbase demanded it.

Bingo. It was the HANNIBAL RISING for JP.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Yeah, one of my least favourite Crichton novels. Only State of Fear is worse.

Wait... I'm... agreeing with Aspie?

This, situation, this... circumstance, I...

I need a moment.

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Apr 20, 2013, 08:53:17 PM
Yeah, one of my least favourite Crichton novels. Only State of Fear is worse.

Wait... I'm... agreeing with Aspie?

This, situation, this... circumstance, I...

I need a moment.

I also think State of Fear was total garbage. <_< ... >_>

But not as much as the Lost World was.

Spoiler
[close]

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

And the moment has passed...

A return to normalcy.

Elliott

Elliott

It's okay, I enjoyed The Lost World just as much as the original. C:

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: Galli on Apr 20, 2013, 09:13:46 PM
It's okay, I enjoyed The Lost World just as much as the original. C:

Vertigo

Vertigo

TLW isn't quite in the same league as the first book in my opinion, but the review Aspie pulled up is a steaming pile of fresh rhino manure.
There's a lot of thought-provoking theory in the book, and looking further into it can be a journey down the rabbit hole. Once you start looking at problems in evolution, you start looking at self-organising behaviour, which in turn leads to Fibonacci sequences and some incredibly bizarrely ordered patterns that occur in nature. It's a book about theory more than anything else really, in my opinion, and exploring further depth in concepts addressed by the first book. The other major element is exploration in the modern age, which Crichton handled more thoroughly in Congo.

As for the film, I'm not too bothered that it deviated so far from the book, but I think they missed an opportunity to give it a proper message that you'd walk away with as strongly as the potentially deadly consequences of cutting-edge science in the first film. TLW brushed up against issues of conservationism, and the merits of preservation versus exploitation, but it didn't press the matter home.
And that's an opportunity that's probably lost for good now, there was never any chance that JP3 would have 'something to say'.

:edit: added part 2 and applied topical cream on some midnight posting syndrome.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Whether you prefer the TLW movie or book depends on what kinds of BS you're willing to put up with: Ian Malcolm not shutting up and acting like an ass, or a preachy, half-assed animal rights message with a gaggle of obnoxious protagonists.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed