Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,345,853 times)

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 27, 2011, 07:00:30 PMAgain, Life will find a way. It's the point of the films! :P

I know it is, but I don't agree with it. Normal zoo's work fine without the lions running around and killing everyone. Sure, accidents happen sometimes, but for the most part if works fine.

Malcolm were right about some parts, like the animals breeding. But that doesn't have to be a problem, as long as you're aware of it. And in a normal zoo, it's much easier to keep track of things.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Shasvre on Feb 27, 2011, 07:05:49 PM
I know it is, but I don't agree with it.
Ian Malcolm is disappoint.

Normal zoo's work fine without the lions running around and killing everyone. Sure, accidents happen sometimes, but for the most part if works fine.
A Tyrannosaurus is five times a Lion in size and potentially ten times in danger it could cause. It's a freight train crossed with a mincer. You ain't stopping a Tyrannosaurus, or any other carnivorous Dinosaur that is approximately a Tyrannosaurus' size, like you do with a Lion.

Malcolm were right about some parts, like the animals breeding. But that doesn't have to be a problem, as long as you're aware of it. And in a normal zoo, it's much easier to keep track of things.
'Breeding' is just one of the ways Life can find. :P

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 27, 2011, 07:00:30 PMAgain, Life will find a way. It's the point of the films! :P

I know it is, but I don't agree with it. Normal zoo's work fine without the lions running around and killing everyone. Sure, accidents happen sometimes, but for the most part if works fine.

Dinos are incredibly different. Look at all the security in the beginning of JP and that guy still got killed raising the gate.

Shasvre

Shasvre

That's why they shouldn't have the biggest or most vicious dinosaurs on the zoo. Yeah, I know that a T-Rex would bring a lot of people, but if they can't handle it, they shouldn't have it at all.

Real Velociraptors wouldn't be much of a problem, they're pretty small.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Shasvre on Feb 27, 2011, 07:16:07 PM
That's why they shouldn't have the biggest or most vicious dinosaurs on the zoo.
And that's precisely what InGen was bringing in the San Diego park! A full grown Tyrannosaurus male. It breaking loose from the Park would've ended out practically like the Climax of the film.

Quote from: Shasvre on Feb 27, 2011, 07:16:07 PM
Real Velociraptors wouldn't be much of a problem, they're pretty small.
The Jurassic Park Velociraptors are not really Velociraptors though. They are Deinonychus. At the time the novel was written, Deinonychus was still included in the Velociraptor genre, so in the book, instead of 'Deinonychus Antirrhopus', you have 'Velociraptor Antirrhopus'. Spielberg kept 'Velociraptor' because it sounded more vicious.
And Deinonychus ain't a Velociraptor. :P

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 27, 2011, 07:20:00 PMAnd that's precisely what InGen was bringing in the San Diego park! A full grown Tyrannosaurus male.

And I never said that would have worked out well either. I'm just saying that a Dino Zoo could work. Just have to be careful with what you have there, and have enough security and firepower to take it down if it escapes. Another thing Hammond messed up, by not allowing Muldoon proper weapons.

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 27, 2011, 07:20:00 PMThe Jurassic Park Velociraptors are not really Velociraptors though. They are Deinonychus. At the time the novel was written, Deinonychus was still included in the Velociraptor genre, so in the book, instead of 'Deinonychus Antirrhopus', you have 'Velociraptor Antirrhopus'. Spielberg kept 'Velociraptor' because it sounded more vicious.
And Deinonychus ain't a Velociraptor. :P

Didn't know this. Thanks for the info. :)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Shasvre on Feb 27, 2011, 07:24:05 PM
And I never said that would have worked out well either.
So Ludlow wasn't all-kinds of right. :P

I'm just saying that a Dino Zoo could work. Just have to be careful with what you have there, and have enough security and firepower to take it down if it escapes. Another thing Hammond messed up, by not allowing Muldoon proper weapons.
Something like that would never happen - there's always something, something that is missed in the equation, something that makes the equation fall. It's very well exemplified in the Jurassic Park novel.
Besides, the whole concept of 'I has Dinosaur, if it escapes, head blown off' is also one thing the films and novel would condemn.

Didn't know this. Thanks for the info. :)
Oh, nothing. In the novel there's also a dintinction between 'Velociraptor Antirrhopus' (the Deinonychus) and 'Velociraptor Mongoliensis' (the 'true' Velociraptor). Latter's the one they find in the nursery, that jumps on Timmy's shoulder.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 27, 2011, 07:47:43 PMSo Ludlow wasn't all-kinds of right. :P

I would still say he was legally and morally right. Doesn't mean he executed his ideas in a very smart way though.

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 27, 2011, 07:47:43 PMSomething like that would never happen - there's always something, something that is missed in the equation, something that makes the equation fall. It's very well exemplified in the Jurassic Park novel.

Not every mistake have to lead to a disaster. Of course there would be mistakes made, but that happens in regular zoos as well.

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 27, 2011, 07:47:43 PMBesides, the whole concept of 'I has Dinosaur, if it escapes, head blown off' is also one thing the films and novel would condemn.

Muldoon used some heavy stuff in the book against the T-Rex. It put it to sleep, but didn't kill it. They could always use something like that, and only kill if absolutely necessary.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Shasvre on Feb 27, 2011, 08:00:38 PM
I would still say he was legally and morally right. Doesn't mean he executed his ideas in a very smart way though.
...And that's why the Hammond guys were there.

Quote from: Shasvre on Feb 27, 2011, 08:00:38 PM
Not every mistake have to lead to a disaster. Of course there would be mistakes made, but that happens in regular zoos as well.
Yeah, but one of the points the films and novels make is that a 'Jurassic Park' wouldn't be a regular zoo at all.

Regarding your last point yeah, but anyone would kill an animal after it has had a meal over some people.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Feb 27, 2011, 08:10:29 PM...And that's why the Hammond guys were there.

To make a even bigger mess out of things? The InGen team did pretty well for themselves until then.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Shasvre on Feb 27, 2011, 08:15:00 PM
To make a even bigger mess out of things?
No, to hold the Dinosaurs in the Island. Failed at it, but it was InGen that at the point made checkmate.

Remonster

Remonster

The park failed because of hubris. Hammond, Arnold and everybody working on Jurassic Park felt that the park was just too big and expensive to fail. Muldoon was smart enough to say the raptors and dangerous dinosaurs should be left out of the park, but of course Hammond insisted they have the big money drawers.

And obviously Malcolm claimed that there was just too much going on in this theme park for anyone to predict what could happen, other than shit hitting the fan eventually. No one could predict that Nedry would sabotage the park systems, effectively allowing the dinosaurs to escape. Everything that went wrong on Jurassic Park was human error, simple as that.

Gate

Gate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhXDkL4NTk#

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

My point was that every death that happens in 'The Lost World' is the result of a bad decision on the part of the protagonists, which is true. The InGen guys had their camp under control, sabotaging it forces the camp to move and they get attacked by all sorts of dinosaurs on their way to radio for help. Trying to help the baby T-rex was a bad idea, and it gets Eddie killed. Sabotaging Roland's hunting mission was a bad idea, and results in a T-rex loose on the mainland.
Seriously if Sarah and Nick hadn't been on the island, not a single thing would have gone wrong as far as we could see ("life finding a way" aside).

As for a dino zoo actually working, that's pretty much the premise for my Jurassic Park IV plot idea. :p
Well, the park does work, for a while, and then... life finds a way.
The "chaos theory" thing wasn't really played very well in the first movie (or at least not as well as the book). Nedry sabotages the park and the dinosaurs get loose, it's really what you'd expect. The only really unexpected thing that happens is the raptors breeding. Like, Nedry switched off all the fences, so the dinosaurs getting loose was pretty inevitable. In my JP4 idea, it's a bit more of a "small actions snowball into big consequences" idea.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Remonster on Feb 27, 2011, 08:21:07 PM
The park failed because of hubris. Hammond, Arnold and everybody working on Jurassic Park felt that the park was just too big and expensive to fail. Muldoon was smart enough to say the raptors and dangerous dinosaurs should be left out of the park, but of course Hammond insisted they have the big money drawers.

And obviously Malcolm claimed that there was just too much going on in this theme park for anyone to predict what could happen, other than shit hitting the fan eventually. No one could predict that Nedry would sabotage the park systems, effectively allowing the dinosaurs to escape. Everything that went wrong on Jurassic Park was human error, simple as that.

The main reason the park wouldn't work is environmental design. The book raises this point very well in the later chapters when Malcolm explains why the park is a flawed concept. You're raising animals to live in an environment that is totally foreign and alien to them that they cannot adjust to for the simple reason that the physical landscape has changed. The food is different, the atmosphere is different, a whole bunch of things. It's not just that the animals themselves are dangerous, but they wouldn't even be able to breathe.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed