Neill Blomkamp: Alien3 & Resurrection "Went Off The Rails"

Started by Tough little S.O.B., Mar 02, 2015, 05:41:34 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp: Alien3 & Resurrection "Went Off The Rails" (Read 82,364 times)

DoomRulz

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 10, 2015, 03:28:23 PM
I would have still killed Hicks in Alien 3. At least, in a variation of the version of the film that we received.

I always thought that in the film that we have to work with, if I could somehow "magic" Hicks into the movie, i'd basically place his death where "Junior" died. Sacrificing himself about halfway through to contain the Alien in the trap. Up to that point it would have been Hicks defending Ripley from being raped, and constantly watching after Newt as the creepier inmates leered.

Newt would have survived instead of Morse.

Ripley's willingness to die would not come nearly so easy because Newt would still be around. Newt would even be a witness to Ripley's sacrifice.

The emphasis on self-sacrifice would be much greater amongst the prisoners. Instead of the "f**k it, let's go for it" that it's given in the film near the end, the more nasty among them getting slaughtered would force a much greater sense of repentance out of the rest. Building up to Ripley's ultimate sacrifice at the end. I would have also driven home Ripley's chance at salvation, by having the WY guys talk about the surgery amongst themselves.

Like, they actually intend to let her live. That way it's down to simply keeping the Alien out of their hands, and it actually keeps the company from being "teh Evilz" instead they're more negligent and ignorant. Ripley could very easily wash her hands of the entire situation, walk away, just as Michael Bishop says, and with Newt still alive she has a strong reason not to kill herself... But she knows she's gotta do what's right for all of humanity.

But you'd still set it up with the magical egg?

Xenomorphine

I actually prefer the chestbursting part. The absence felt odd. Would have been better if Ripley had been shown to be in the kind of agonised pain it would have produced, instead of just calmly cradling it against her, though.

One of many aspects which add to an arguably dream-like quality.

OpenMaw

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 10, 2015, 04:34:25 PM

Within the confines of what the setup of the scenario allows, i'd probably use the Gibson idea of the queen leaving some genetic material in Bishops entrails, or at the very least have shown the egg in a more logical location (within the dropships landing gear apparatus.)

KiramidHead

The bit about W-Y being "teh evilz"... yeah, I totally get that. When I first saw Bishop II and those guys get off the ship with their capes and full face masks, all I could think of were Palpatine's guards from ROTJ. :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 10, 2015, 04:53:20 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 10, 2015, 04:34:25 PM

Within the confines of what the setup of the scenario allows, i'd probably use the Gibson idea of the queen leaving some genetic material in Bishops entrails, or at the very least have shown the egg in a more logical location (within the dropships landing gear apparatus.)

It's not hard to setup the sequel from the events of Aliens.

1 - Shot of a face-hugger crawling up the back of the Queen.
2 - Focus on the hugger as it crawls away into the Sulaco, out of focus battle between the Queen and Ripley in the background.

Sorted.

DoomRulz

It would have to be a very crafty hugger but I could accept that more readily than Alien3's magical egg.

Corporal Hicks

You could even have an adult or 2 sneak up with her, that disappear when Ripper is distracted.

Even then, that could easily be accomplished by showing the Queen lay it. And it being within the dropship.

However, that doesn't change that Ripley should/would of swept the dropship.

It really isn't that hard to follow on from Aliens, just needed proper editing.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 11, 2015, 11:11:16 AMIt really isn't that hard to follow on from Aliens, just needed proper editing.

Yeah, given this, I'm really surprised they went the route they did. There were far more logical ways of putting an Alien on board the Sulaco that still wouldn't have been especially hard to film.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 11, 2015, 11:11:16 AM
You could even have an adult or 2 sneak up with her, that disappear when Ripper is distracted.

Even then, that could easily be accomplished by showing the Queen lay it. And it being within the dropship.

Nope. When and how would she have grown an ovipositor?

OpenMaw

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 11, 2015, 01:52:15 PM
Nope. When and how would she have grown an ovipositor?

She wouldn't need to. That's just an assumption everyone makes. She could just as easily lay an egg still inside her abdomen mid flight. It would also explain the strange appearance of the egg we saw in Alien 3 if it was a pre-me egg.

DoomRulz

If she was using an ovipositor initially, then yes, she does need one. Otherwise, why form it?

OpenMaw

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 11, 2015, 03:05:07 PM
If she was using an ovipositor initially, then yes, she does need one. Otherwise, why form it?

Not necessarily. If they are initially formed within her abdomen and then developed to completion inside of the ovipositor.  :)

DoomRulz

Well, that's speculation on your part. I'm going with what we see in the film and tying it with what is known about real egg sacs.

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 11, 2015, 11:16:23 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 11, 2015, 11:11:16 AMIt really isn't that hard to follow on from Aliens, just needed proper editing.

Yeah, given this, I'm really surprised they went the route they did. There were far more logical ways of putting an Alien on board the Sulaco that still wouldn't have been especially hard to film.

Hell, there were far more logical reasons to have Aliens in the movie without putting them on the Sulaco at all. Why they insisted on setting it Directly after the second movie I'll never understand. Just writing in a brief time skip would solve a lot of issues.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Mar 11, 2015, 03:32:42 PMHell, there were far more logical reasons to have Aliens in the movie without putting them on the Sulaco at all. Why they insisted on setting it Directly after the second movie I'll never understand. Just writing in a brief time skip would solve a lot of issues.

It's strange, because most of the scripts written for Alien 3 contain completely illogical Aliens on the Sulaco right at the start, even the ones where the main story takes place at a later date. It's almost as if they were so determined to put them there, no one at any point during the five years the film was being developed said, "Hold on, this doesn't make sense..."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed