Neill Blomkamp: Alien3 & Resurrection "Went Off The Rails"

Started by Tough little S.O.B., Mar 02, 2015, 05:41:34 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp: Alien3 & Resurrection "Went Off The Rails" (Read 82,372 times)

DoomRulz

Weaver would never do an AvP film. She doesn't even like the concept. On that note, I wouldn't be surprised if Alienkamp, along with the new Predator film, serves as a catalyst to a new AvP film.

Corporal Hicks

I think we're due one. I think a new AvP is very very likely at this point.

DoomRulz

They'll have a hell of a time marketing it, given how poor the last two were.

Russ

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 04, 2015, 12:29:12 PM

They might well reboot the AVP stuff, but, in all seriousness, I'd hope they do it much more in line with what was represented in the first comic: Set in the future on a lone, self-supporting colony.

I'm sure, as DoomRulz says, the Black'n'Kamp movies a pre-cursor to a new AvP (not overtly, but if they hit, expect a third movie be it continuation or reboot)

Xeno, your last sentence really worried me as I just had a mental image of a director sitting there espousing why he saw AvP3 as "a kind of western, you know. The tough frontier life with hostile indigenous life... and then a new tooled up gunslinger comes to down... I think that American audiences really respond to the "old west" feel - you know, at heart there's a bit of the outlaw in all of us."

I gotta stop coming to this forum, it's making me crazy...

TimmyTurnersDad

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 04, 2015, 01:25:08 PM
I think we're due one. I think a new AvP is very very likely at this point.

Eh... I'm a bit more hesitant on that one. It'd really depend on how successful both Alienkamp and Shane Black's Predator film end up being. Both films are in capable hands, but I think they'd both need to be absolute knockouts in order for FOX to want to be interested in trying another crossover film. I'd be more willing to wager that we'll see Alienkamp end up acting as the revival for the Alien franchise itself, with following entries starring a new protagonist (potentially an adult Newt).

Moreover, I don't think FOX would chance another AvP unless it was made under more reliable hands than the likes of Paul W. Anderson or the Brothers Strause. Despite the struggles that the Alien and Predator franchises have gone through separately, both crossovers represent the absolute nadir of either franchise.

Besides, DoomRulz brought up a very good point:
Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 04, 2015, 01:26:36 PM
They'll have a hell of a time marketing it, given how poor the last two were.

Russ

Quote from: TimmyTurnersDad on Mar 04, 2015, 02:03:50 PM
both crossovers represent the absolute nadir of either franchise.

I dunno, I'd rather watch AvP:R than A:R, I have to say. At least with AvP:R you can sort of see that they were trying to make a bloody, violent horror movie. A:R was willfully insulting (or playful if you're being kind) with the whole franchise. I'm no big fan of AvP:R - I think that it really went over the bounds of good taste in its attempts to be horrific, but the Bros were trying (and some would say totally failed) to do justice to what they thought an AvP movie should be (remember, their original concept was future world before Davis vetoed that).

Junet, on the other hand, was thumbing his nose at the whole thing.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ on Mar 04, 2015, 02:12:36 PMI dunno, I'd rather watch AvP:R than A:R, I have to say.

I'd rather do anything than watch AVP:R ever again. To quote James Woods in The Hard Way:

"Not if you tied my tongue to your tailpipe and drove me eighty miles an hour naked across a field of broken glass!"

Resurrection at least had moments of competence. Requiem was a brainless, childish, sickeningly gratuitous clusterf*ck from beginning to end. It's not just by far the worst film in either franchise, it's one of the most appalling pieces of shit I've ever seen in my entire life.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 04, 2015, 01:17:16 PM
Weaver would never do an AvP film. She doesn't even like the concept. On that note, I wouldn't be surprised if Alienkamp, along with the new Predator film, serves as a catalyst to a new AvP film.

Multi gotta give it to FOX... $$$ 8) $$$

Jarac

Despite the beatings they have taken over the years, the Alien and Predator franchises are still popular and influential. Look how much coverage we already have on Blomkamp's new film. I think if the new Alien and Predator movies succeed, they will chance a new AVP, but it'll need to be a reboot, and be set in space with the Colonial Marines. No more of this modern day, on Earth bullshit.

Magegg

The problem with Alien 3 was that it wasn't a logical progression. From Alien to Aliens we had more action, more adventure, a little more of the xenomorph mythos and a little more of the Earth stuff.

Alien 3 was nothing but a return to Alien. There was less action, less adventure, less mythology and less Earth stuff. And also the characters from the previous entry were written off.

It became more instead more scary, more intimate and more painful, even more than Alien. One can argue it was a step backwards from Aliens, others that it returned to the original Alien feel and heightened it.

Alien 3 could have escalated into something even bigger: More of the xenomorph mythology, more interesting characters, more Earth stuff, more actio and adventure... I think that's what Blomkamp wants to do.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Magegg on Mar 04, 2015, 07:33:37 PM
The problem with Alien 3 was that it wasn't a logical progression. From Alien to Aliens we had more action, more adventure, a little more of the xenomorph mythos and a little more of the Earth stuff.

Alien 3 was nothing but a return to Alien. There was less action, less adventure, less mythology and less Earth stuff. And also the characters from the previous entry were written off.

It became more instead more scary, more intimate and more painful, even more than Alien. One can argue it was a step backwards from Aliens, others that it returned to the original Alien feel and heightened it.

Alien 3 could have escalated into something even bigger: More of the xenomorph mythology, more interesting characters, more Earth stuff, more actio and adventure... I think that's what Blomkamp wants to do.

Why should more action be what is needed?  Alien 3 took the series back to its basics and reminded audiences what it was all about.  The creation of the dog alien did somewhat expand on the alien mythology and there were several interesting, well-rounded characters.  As for Earth, we know that setting an Alien story on Earth is no guarantee of quality.  The third film could have been a great film with action and lots of aliens but if one goes down this path recklessly (which could have happened considering how popular the franchise was at that time) we could have ended up with a Xenogenesis-style story where the aliens are little more than bugs to be killed by soldiers with hyper-advanced weapons.  Alien 3's greatest weaknesses were the problems caused on set with the constant script re-writes.  Had they gone with something more along the lines of the monks on the wooden planet, we could have gotten a story that was both faithful to the original film and a masterpiece in its own right.  I think it was good that Fox bucked the trend and went for something unique instead of Aliens 2.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Magegg on Mar 04, 2015, 07:33:37 PMAlien 3 was nothing but a return to Alien. There was less action, less adventure, less mythology and less Earth stuff.

I don't want more Earth stuff. Alien is about space, not Aliens taking over the planet. But I find the mythology behind the prisoners in the third film to be some of the most interesting in the series. These guys who are just flung out into the ass-end of space and forgotten about. I really love the whole concept behind it.

Quote from: Magegg on Mar 04, 2015, 07:33:37 PMAlien 3 could have escalated into something even bigger: More of the xenomorph mythology, more interesting characters, more Earth stuff, more actio and adventure...

Keep escalating with ever more action and before long you just go over the top and get totally silly. That's one reason I love that Alien 3 went more low-key.

predlord

I made the decision to not watch this movie, I have far too much respect for this saga to witness a pathetic retconning.
I love all the movies in the saga, even Resurrection and I really don't think it deserves a lazy ass director like Blomkamp who isn't capable of bringing anything new to the saga without ignoring a storyline who has been around for the last 22 years.

I'm so sorry Neill, that missing Hicks and Newt, and all those cool explosions and xenomorphs dying by the dozens you feel the need to ignore half the saga you "love" to fullfill your selfish desires.

To me there is already a perfect trilogy, with a captivating beginning and a beautiful ending.

I don't need to see huge explosions, big guns, big badass marines and a geriatric Ripley firing her grenade launcher at a horde of angry Aliens.

Chris!(($$))!

We all know you're gonna watch it.

Magegg

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 04, 2015, 08:14:34 PMKeep escalating with ever more action and before long you just go over the top and get totally silly. That's one reason I love that Alien 3 went more low-key.
Yeap, like Matrix to Matrix 2 probably. One could also say Aliens derailed the series, at least Ridley Scott kind of thinks that, I don't know his opinion on Alien 3, though, but I don't think asking for an escalation from Aliens to Alien 3 similar to what can be considered a bad thing... It's matter of tastes.

But the fact no one can deny is that Alien 3 was not what most of the audience was expecting after Aliens... For good or for bad.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed