Neill Blomkamp: Alien3 & Resurrection "Went Off The Rails"

Started by Tough little S.O.B., Mar 02, 2015, 05:41:34 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp: Alien3 & Resurrection "Went Off The Rails" (Read 82,226 times)

T Dog

Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 03, 2015, 01:55:43 AM
Neill really seems like a butthurt ALIENS fanboy

I agree. People be acting like babies.

whiterabbit

Quote from: tmjhur on Mar 03, 2015, 02:13:22 AM

I agree. People be acting like babies.
I wouldn't want to anger him though, he may make the new chestbuster aliens analbuster aliens for all of the butt-hurt jokes.

Feeds On Minds

Alien 3 is my favorite film in the series, so this news is a bummer for me.  That being said; I could be on board so long as they ditch that cheesy "family unit happy ending" BS that Cameron was trying to set up. (GIVE ME A BREAK!)

razeak

Quote from: marrerom on Mar 02, 2015, 10:40:26 PM
Quote from: razeak on Mar 02, 2015, 10:26:32 PM
Has anyone considered that Weaver may simply not like the way it turned out in A3 and A:R? Is she and the other creatives involved not permitted to fix something they may not like?

I know if I was involved in a property I felt was off track and wanted to retcon it to fix it, I would. I'm not even a big fan of retcons to begin with, but this is a possibility. The whole a painting is never finished thing...

I always got the impression from Weaver (in interviews and featurettes on the bluray set) that she likes those films and had a good experience making them.  This is why I find it hard to believe that she would get behind the idea of retconning them.

What made me consider that is the recent comments about finishing Ripley's story. It seems to me it means she isn't satisfied in some way.

Xenomorphine

He's a fan of both the first movies (not only the second), just not so much the last two. Rightly or wrongly, that actually puts him in line with most of the public at large.

Aquarius8

They are going to have to go the "Dream" route.  Then set it 30 years later.  I agree with whoever just posted that about them being in cryo-sleep.  I mean if he just ignores 3 and 4 with the age differences how will that look?  As for the "Off the Rails" comments,  3 only went slightly went off the rails.  Resurrection jumped the rails.  But that doesn't mean you can come into a series and just erase two films.  A Betweenquel doesn't work either cause somehow Ripley, Newt and Hicks after whatever adventure they go on will have be back in cryo in time to crash on the Prison Planet to connect it to three.  So the best route is a Alternate Timeline Dream route. 

GQSioux

GQSioux

Quote from: Aquarius8 on Mar 03, 2015, 02:47:13 AM
They are going to have to go the "Dream" route.  Then set it 30 years later.  I agree with whoever just posted that about them being in cryo-sleep.  I mean if he just ignores 3 and 4 with the age differences how will that look?  As for the "Off the Rails" comments,  3 only went slightly went off the rails.  Resurrection jumped the rails.  But that doesn't mean you can come into a series and just erase two films.  A Betweenquel doesn't work either cause somehow Ripley, Newt and Hicks after whatever adventure they go on will have be back in cryo in time to crash on the Prison Planet to connect it to three.  So the best route is a Alternate Timeline Dream route.

They can keep Newt and Bishop in cryo for the duration of the movie and focus on Ripley and Hicks, if this does take place between Aliens and Alien 3. There are roughly 10-11 days in the timeline to play with if he intends to "fill the gap."

Xenomorphine

Fox can do whatever it wants.

Aquarius8

Aquarius8

Quote from: GQSioux on Mar 03, 2015, 02:56:20 AM

They can keep Newt and Bishop in cryo for the duration of the movie and focus on Ripley and Hicks, if this does take place between Aliens and Alien 3. There are roughly 10-11 days in the timeline to play with if he intends to "fill the gap."

Fantastic Idea.  Never thought of it that way.  Have Newt out of it cause obviously they would have to recast her.  As for age difference  Hicks is already scared and Sigorney still looks good.  OK, but still somehow Ripley and Hicks will have to be back on the craft to crash.  Again that would be a crazy story.   also when you look at the concept art, it seems it is a Ripley and Hicks adventure espeically with the bombs strapped to her:

RakaiThwei

They are going to have to go the "Dream" route.

That such a cheap cop out and I wouldn't want this movie to go that route.

evolution_rex

It's pretty clear this is a retcon. He's not using that term because he knows people don't like it, so essentially he's saying 'we're not taking those out of canon, we're just making a new canon." They just don't want to say it.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: evolution_rex on Mar 03, 2015, 03:13:55 AM
It's pretty clear this is a retcon. He's not using that term because he knows people don't like it, so essentially he's saying 'we're not taking those out of canon, we're just making a new canon." They just don't want to say it.

If he's "essentially" saying that they're not taking the two films out of canon, but making a new.. wouldn't that mean we have two canons and therefore, two alternate timelines? I'm just sayin'!

Vers

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 03, 2015, 03:03:25 AM
They are going to have to go the "Dream" route.

That such a cheap cop out and I wouldn't want this movie to go that route.

The thought of it makes me cringe. No reason for him to try and legitimize a storyline he clearly doesn't agree with.

LewsTherin

They're going to ignore 3 & 4. I don't see how else it can be done and I say go for it. Alien 3, mainly the alternate bluray version is a damn good movie, but let's face it, Alien 3 was never what it should have been. It was rushed through for the money and no one had a good story to tell. They ran out of time and money and got lucky with a story Vincent Ward came up with along with the talents of David Fincher and an excellent cast, somehow managed to not make Alien 3 a total failure. As for any idea of carrying on with the Alien Resurrection story, you can toss that in the garbage pile. No cloning and nothing from that crap movie. I respect Alien 3 even with it's flaws because it stands on it's own as a good story and a very hauntingly beautiful movie, but Resurrection is the biggest turd in the entire series. I'm not sure why Weaver ever said yes to that pile of dung. Must've been the paycheck. Anyway, Alien 3 will still be a good movie even if this film does basically toss it out and rewrite the ending. So I say again, GO FOR IT!!! The concept art looks awesome!

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Vers on Mar 03, 2015, 03:35:15 AM
The thought of it makes me cringe.

And rightly should!

Quote from: Vers on Mar 03, 2015, 03:35:15 AM
No reason for him to try and legitimize a storyline he clearly doesn't agree with.

Although there is nothing stopping that, I just don't want to see the movie take that route. Again, cheap cop-out. It would be better if Blomkamp did what The Return of Godzilla (Godzilla 1985) did, ignore the previous sequels and not acknowledge them in anyway, and just continue on from Aliens. For me, I would be fine with that. To go the dream route almost comes off as insulting.

I advocate that he just straight up ignore and not acknowledge 3 and 4... Why? Because then it would give us fans even more power to pick and choose. Not that we already don't do that but it gives more power to us.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed