Neill Blomkamp: Alien3 & Resurrection "Went Off The Rails"

Started by Tough little S.O.B., Mar 02, 2015, 05:41:34 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp: Alien3 & Resurrection "Went Off The Rails" (Read 82,387 times)

pat92

Why can't we just let Ripley die?

NetworkATTH

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 02, 2015, 09:42:06 PM
Quote from: Adam802 on Mar 02, 2015, 09:36:26 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 02, 2015, 09:33:15 PM
So what great options does he have?
-  Time travel
-  Cold blooded retcon
-  Amnesia
-  Clones
-  Androids
-  Shoehorning
-  Dreams

...They all suck. Him wanting Hicks back is total ALIENS fanboy service. I see no other reason for bringing him back.

Stop making excuses for this guy. We all know where he's from.

All those ideas ARE stupid except retcon.  Or just "ignoring", whatever people want to call it.

But id argue that those other ideas arent any more stupid than what it would take to continue from where the mess A:R left off.

Retcons are the absolute bottom of the barrel, the sludgy grime that pungent reboot goop rests on below the segments of rancid remakes. It doesn't get lower than that. Why even make a sequel when you don't even want to make a sequel rather than fan fiction?

Not really. What scale are you using to quantify these things.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: Dustie on Mar 02, 2015, 09:34:46 PM
All I can say is I don't know why people want to know Fincher's opinion on this. Fincher hated Alien 3 and doesn't want it mentioned in his bio, so I doubt he gives a flying about it.

Fincher is one of my favourite movie directors ever, so I am interested in everything he has to say. If he has an opinion about what toilet paper is better, one layer or double layer, I wanna know about it. Also, the history behind A# production is as fascinating as the movie itself, and If he hates it so much, his opinion about it will be really interesting. If he didn't care about it, he won't care at all. he won't hate it, and have it erased from his bio etc.

But hey, If you are not interested in his opinion, good for you.

Adam802

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Mar 02, 2015, 09:47:50 PM
All I can say is I don't know why people want to know Fincher's opinion on this. Fincher hated Alien 3 and doesn't want it mentioned in his bio, so I doubt he gives a flying about it.

Fincher is one of my favourite movie directors ever, so I am interested in everything he has to say. If he has an opinion about what toilet paper is better, one layer or double layer, I wanna know about it. Also, the history behind A# production is as fascinating as the movie itself, and If he hates it so much, his opinion about it will be really interesting. If he didn't care about it, he won't care at all. he won't hate it, and have it erased from his bio etc.

Double layer, for sure.  :)

Dustie

If that's where you're coming from than fair enough, I guess, even him declining to comment would mean a lot in your eyes and ears, I get it.
Just like everyone else I shared my opinion and impression regarding the matter, I noticed a lot of people were wondering about Fincher's opinion on Neill's approach to the series - remembering Fincher's stance on Alien 3 I suddenly had the feeling a lot of Aliens fans seem to be unfamiliar with it, hence my partial lack of understanding as to why his opinion would matter. I happen to love Fincher's movies too and I always have a bitter aftertaste remembering his dislike to Alien 3, which I happen to like a lot as well, but I learned to just get along with it.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: Dustie on Mar 02, 2015, 09:56:24 PM

If that's where you're coming from than fair enough, I guess, even him declining to comment would mean a lot in your eyes and ears, I get it.
Just like everyone else I shared my opinion and impression regarding the matter, I noticed a lot of people were wondering about Fincher's opinion on Neill's approach to the series - remembering Fincher's stance on Alien 3 I suddenly had the feeling a lot of Aliens fans seem to be unfamiliar with it, hence my partial lack of understanding as to why his opinion would matter. I happen to love Fincher's movies too and I always have a bitter aftertaste remembering his dislike to Alien 3, which I happen to like a lot as well, but I learned to just get along with it.

But I truly think he has an strong opinion about A3 in general and the new movie. The fact that he does not even want to talk about A3 shows you how strong his opinion is.

I won't be surprised that somehow, inside him, the fact that they are discarding A3, as much as he may hate it, its going to hurt a little.

Just curious, I can totally live without that revelation.

PsyKore

I'm curious if Blom wants to take off from ALIENS straight away or if it will be set some 30-odd years after.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: PsyKore on Mar 02, 2015, 10:00:40 PM
I'm curious if Blom wants to take off from ALIENS straight away or if it will be set some 30-odd years after.

If it happens just right after, I don't know how he will justify the actors being older. (if he is using Sigourney and Biehn)

Born Of Cold Light

If Resurrection and A3 are being overwritten, they should make it worth something.  Like was said at the bottom of the first page, this series has massive potential; use it.  If they pull this off, we could get a film that melds the best elements of the first two films (and maybe some nods at the other two in oblique ways) that comes to create a dark, psychedelic epic that pushes the limits of film making in the way Alien and Aliens did.  Of course they should stay grounded in the core elements of the series and not create something totally unrecognizable, but the absolute last thing that this franchise needs is yet another marines-respond-to-distress-signal-on-planet-only-to-find-out-that-aliens-have-overrun-it-and-the-Company-is-doing-unethical-experiments storyline that has been repeated ad nauseam in multiple media.  Give us something for the ages.

PsyKore

Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Mar 02, 2015, 10:03:47 PM

If it happens just right after, I don't know how he will justify the actors being older. (if he is using Sigourney and Biehn)
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Because if he wants it set straight after, then that's gonna cost a lot of cgi to keep it looking plausible.

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: PsyKore on Mar 02, 2015, 10:09:00 PM
Quote from: Tough little S.O.B. on Mar 02, 2015, 10:03:47 PM

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Because if he wants it set straight after, then that's gonna cost a lot of cgi to keep it looking plausible.

I hope he is not going that way :S

KiramidHead

Yeah, setting it immediately after Aliens wouldn't work. Maybe just show one or two scenes where they awaken from cryo sleep, then jump ahead thirty years.

razeak

Has anyone considered that Weaver may simply not like the way it turned out in A3 and A:R? Is she and the other creatives involved not permitted to fix something they may not like?

I know if I was involved in a property I felt was off track and wanted to retcon it to fix it, I would. I'm not even a big fan of retcons to begin with, but this is a possibility. The whole a painting is never finished thing...

CainsSon

Quote from: Omegazilla on Mar 02, 2015, 08:39:26 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 02, 2015, 08:15:43 PM
And yet he's also said he's not undoing the third and fourth films.

I still find the whole thing very muddled.
It's not literal. It means they're not being stripped of their importance, probably. Everything else points to them being ignored.

Im not sure. Any of this can be taken as 'not literal'

Perhaps he will make an entry that 'fills-in the gap' but doesn't necessarily wipe 3 and 4 out? Perhaps not. But its not ok to take some things literally that don't make literal sense but do the same for those same things that suit what you want.
And I'm not trying to do the same thing.

If it takes place b/w Aliens and A3 and 'fills in the gap' or seeks to wipe them out. Both raise a very interesting important question that deserves it's own thread:

WHERE IS NEWT?

Tough little S.O.B.

Quote from: razeak on Mar 02, 2015, 10:26:32 PM
Has anyone considered that Weaver may simply not like the way it turned out in A3 and A:R? Is she and the other creatives involved not permitted to fix something they may not like?

I know if I was involved in a property I felt was off track and wanted to retcon it to fix it, I would. I'm not even a big fan of retcons to begin with, but this is a possibility. The whole a painting is never finished thing...

I don't think anybody says it's not a possibility, but it's not the only and maybe it's not the most obvious for the studio. Maybe.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed