Marvel's Alien (Volume 3) - Alien: Thaw

Started by TilotnyWorshiper28, Jan 19, 2023, 10:42:22 PM

Author
Marvel's Alien (Volume 3) - Alien: Thaw (Read 42,907 times)

jacobo1122

Just finished last issue, and I must say, it was really good story, from start to finish. It had simpler structure, focusing on survival of one family, so it had nice emotional impact, but still had a fair amount of unexpected (and some very much expected) turns and twists. It still tackled themes that Kennedy Johnson started, with using Xenomorphs' genetic material and Aliens being some cosmic force of destruction and cleansing, but in more subtle, marginal approach, focusing more on characters' story. Better way of doing this than Johnson's attempts in my eyes. We also got new breed of Xenomorphs with great, aquatic design. And speaking of looks and designs, the art is georgeous. Aliens are detailed and look as terryfying as ever, and Humans are a little stylized, but emotions on their faces are convincing. Overall that was great run from Marvel, wchich is so good to say after three medioker ones. Now I'm really looking forward to next story from this creative team.

Corporal Hicks

We're going to be chatting to Declan soon, so if anyone has any questions throw them down below.

jacobo1122

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 09, 2023, 09:08:43 AMWe're going to be chatting to Declan soon, so if anyone has any questions throw them down below.

1. With icy, arctic setting and Aliens being frozen in ice I got strong Carpenter's The Thing vibes. Was that intentional? Regardless, this setting felt fresh in Alien story and fits very well.

2. I really like aquatic, shrimp-like design of new breed of Xenomorph. How it came to be, and how much of it was Declan's idea, and how much Andrea's invention? Also how it feels to get a chance to mess around with such an iconic design?

3. Also this new type of Alien seemed to have faster life cycle. Was that intentional, or it's just case with bending aspect of gestation period to fit the story?

4. This story focused more on survival of one family and their situation, wchich I love. However there are continued themes of Aliens and black goo being promethean fire that attracts people to use it to upgrade themselves, leading to their demise. And boy, do this aspect get dark turn in this story. Anyway, was that concius continuation of those ideas that Phillip Kennedy Johnson introduced, or was it coincidencial? Or maybe there are some guidelines from Marvel to tackle with it?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 12, 2023, 10:04:57 AMIt's just the confused way Marvel do these things. We'll have to see what they label Icarcus on the spine. Will they call it 3 or 1? It's the third series, but the 1st under that creative team, and they reset the numbering for each creative team.

Just put actual arc titles on the single covers please, Marvel. Please!

They put 3 on Icarcus' spine btw!

Still Collating...

My question:

Spoiler
Ask them to explain the mutated baby in more detail, how that idea came to be, what was the mother exactly hoping for etc.?
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Still Collating... on Sep 10, 2023, 09:52:27 PMMy question:

Spoiler
Ask them to explain the mutated baby in more detail, how that idea came to be, what was the mother exactly hoping for etc.?
[close]

If I remember rightly, she explains something about
Spoiler
there being something wrong with the baby, and she was messing to use the Alien's healing factor.
[close]

But I'll ask for more detail!

Corporal Hicks

Kradan

Yum yum yum

Perfect-Organism

It was a great read!  Looking forward to listening to this.  I really hope the Annual is included in the TPB.

Chieftain Suom

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 23, 2023, 06:11:50 PMIt was a great read!  Looking forward to listening to this.  I really hope the Annual is included in the TPB.

Alien: Annual (2023) will be included with the Alien: Descendant TPB set to be released in April 2024.

Corporal Hicks

I admire its purity.

Another great episode! 👍

Corporal Hicks

Thank you, sir!

DaniilLogOut

DaniilLogOut

Corporal, I think you've uploaded wrong episode

jacobo1122

Great review Guys. After yours discussion I was thinking a little bit about Aliens vs. Aliens conflict in it, and here's my idea why it occurs: maybe Submorphs are fighting regular Xenomorphs in terms of survival of the fittest. Because of new strain is better adapted for this new enviroment, they are purging the bloodline by eliminating their less adapted brethern and that's why there is new Queen molding. Just an idea. I mean, isn't it similiar to how Praetorians are made? If I'm not mistaken, there is a bunch of warriors fighting each other, and one that survives Gets Royal jelly and morphs into Praetorian. So there is precedence for that kind of behavior. I don't know, I'm not too big on Aliens vs. Aliens conflict, but Thaw was so good for me that I let it slide and I'm interested in what Declan will do with it in his next arc.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed