It was what I expected
13 (8.8%)
It fell short for me
16 (10.8%)
It was not good
15 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Author
Sneak Peek with LegionFX Tomorrow - The Last Supper (Read 96,311 times)

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Darth Vile on Feb 24, 2017, 11:56:54 AM
Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Feb 24, 2017, 11:32:27 AM
It was a good thing for Alien. That was 38 years ago. But Alien was lightning in a bottle. Scott didn't need a silly viral video to make the movie go. Indeed, everyone had their hands full making the actual movie. One would think that it could be done better by now, but no one has done it. Hollywood has tried over and over. Now you have Scott trying again to do the same old thing but better, and he already failed. This movie might be okay. It will probably make a mountain of money, too. But it won't top the original, won't come close. It won't really say anything different, except it will probably detract from the original by explaining too much and being too much about David 8 making the creature. In his poorly-executed effort to tell us about the big guy in the chair, Scott is systematically draining away the mystery and wonder of the original. This viral scene reinforces the idea that nothing new is on offer here. All anyone can do is try to replicate the magic of the original, but it can't be done. And that is why this viral video fails.
I have a tendency to believe that Hollywood make far too many sequels and remakes... often at the expense of original ideas. However, the original film (Alien obviously) still exists, and can still be watched as a standalone film in its own right... nothing changes... just like Jaws, A New Hope or Raiders of the Lost Ark. Of course it can be argued that some of the mystery is lost e.g. who was the space jockey? Where did the eggs come from? But I don't believe that this element of mystery is fundamental to the appreciation of the original film. Alien Covenant is probably the last opportunity to make a film, which is connected to the originals, whilst being able to give it a new perspective. I think there's every chance it can be a worthwhile venture, even whilst acknowledging it will more than likely fall short of Alien/Aliens... in terms of originality, design etc.
Remakes are usually a waste of time. Sequels can be good. They can even be better than the originals, but they do get tired. The problem here with the space jockeys and eggs is, where they came from is laughable. The space jockey is actually the encounter suit for big, pale, bald men. Ash's precursor made the eggs and the creature. Really?  ::) It's ridiculous, but you can watch the 38-year-old movie and sometimes still see something new. In 38 years, is anyone going to watch or care about Covenant?

Enoch

Enoch

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 24, 2017, 12:09:57 PM
I think you're trying to say is what I said previously - that it's the capabilities of the individual that should matter, not any trait like race, sexual orientation, etc? If so then yes, I completely agree. It shouldn't matter in the real world.

Unfortunately, there's still some who believe it does which is why it's important to have gay characters just doing their thing and being more than just a token gay character.

Quote from: Enoch on Feb 24, 2017, 12:09:24 PM
I m under the assumption that even though English is your first language, you could
never understand my reasoning... because you simply refuse to do so.

No, I think he simply didn't understand how you were articulating yourself. I was struggling their myself.

Indeed. That is the point, but expressed in a much broader way. Sorry for the struggle, but life is struggle... :)

QuoteI think you're trying to say is what I said previously - that it's the capabilities of the individual that should matter, not any trait like race, sexual orientation, etc? If so then yes, I completely agree. It shouldn't matter in the real world.

I even wrote the same thing on previous pages... but then wanted to generalize the problem in my recent post.

SiL

Quote from: Enoch on Feb 24, 2017, 12:09:24 PM
I m under the assumption that even though English is your first language, you could
never understand my reasoning... because you simply refuse to do so.
No, I genuinely just don't understand the meanings of the paragraphs you're putting together sometimes. They're vague and rambling and not terribly easy to read.

Enoch

Enoch

Well thats my style. ;D
The point is there... maybe someone will understand
my honest intentions hovering somewhere between those paragraphs.

Maybe the best metaphor:
What does it matter what flag is flying over the desert when no one can live in the desert.
There is nothing in the desert and no man needs nothing! Flags are not important! Hope you understand that.

SiL

You quote philosophers talking about the need for understanding and comprehension, then make yourself as needlessly, pretentiously obtuse as possible.

Corporal Hicks

It is incredibly frustrating at times. How are people supposed to engage in meaningful and informed discussions with you if you're being intentionally confusing? You elicit conflict by doing that.

Enoch

Enoch

:D :)

Maybe, but I m at least pretentiously obtuse and HONEST in good intentions.
Eliciting conflict is not what I want... on the contrary.

SiL

See that sentence doesn't actually mean anything. The second half kind of wanders off from the first half. What honest good intentions? We don't know what you're talking about. How are we supposed to participate here?

Enoch

Enoch

I m trying to show how futile is discussion about
homosexuality, heterosexuality... its unimportant  even if you are both
of those things when you do not posses quality properties e.g.
values, understanding of morality, love, ... Simple as that.

Without the later... the first becomes only the matter of form thus
utterly trivialized thing.

What matters is to be a good human being... whether homosexual, hetero or something third
is completely irrelevant.

SiL

... are you trying to say "It doesn't matter what your orientation is if you're a shitty person"?

Cos if you are, why the hell are you not just saying that? Why do you need to take three disjointed sentences to get out one thought? ???

Corporal Hicks

I'd suggest stopping. You've only managed to confuse and frustrate other users. I've only just understood we were both trying to say the same thing. Let's not go around in circles.

Enoch

Enoch

Quote from: SiL on Feb 24, 2017, 12:36:55 PM
... are you trying to say "It doesn't matter what your orientation is if you're a shitty person"?

Cos if you are, why the hell are you not just saying that? Why do you need to take three disjointed sentences to get out one thought? ???

Thats the part of it. Yes. Because every sentence of those three possess particular meaning, disjointed  from the previous one. Trivialization makes things go bad... thats why I need three more sentences and not only one short sentence. Well I think there is no reason for  confusion and frustration...

Russ840

Russ840

This thread has become derailed by pretentious ramblings.

Let's leave it at that there is a gay couple on the Covenant. Who cares. If you do then you are backward thinking and need to take a step back and look at the world.

Is there any info on this sneak peak. I may have missed it. I don't want to have to go back and read all this ball that I have just seen looking at the last few pages.

harlequinade

New trailer for Covenant will most likely be attached to Logan, apparently there are lots of xenomorph shots

Corporal Hicks

Got a link? Same place as the first trailer description?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed