Who should play the predator in the Predator sequel?

Started by happypred, Jul 08, 2014, 02:55:45 AM

Author
Who should play the predator in the Predator sequel? (Read 10,090 times)

Xenomorphine

Quote from: overthere on Sep 07, 2015, 06:49:48 PM
Imagine a fully CGI Predator

Nothing wrong with it, if it's done right. An actor in a costume can look awful, too.

Corporal Hicks

It would all depend on execution and what they were trying to accomplish. But I get the impression Black would stick with a man in a suit. 

overthere

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Sep 08, 2015, 11:16:27 AM

Nothing wrong with it, if it's done right. An actor in a costume can look awful, too.

CGI can't look as good as a good costume. It lacks weight to it.

HuDaFuK

Plus with CGI, movement is always a concern. It's very easy to have the motion look totally unconvincing. You don't get that with costumes because it's already a living thing moving as it should.

Corporal Hicks

Depends on what they're trying to do. In Alien 5 I so desperately want to see the kind fluid movement of the Alien coming from the vent that we saw in Isolation and I'd be happy to use CGI. I wouldn't expect to get that kind of movement from a suit.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I happen to agree, but you'd still want them to use suits as well.

There's nothing wrong with augmenting good suit work with some CGI shots, but I certainly wouldn't want a "fully CGI Predator". Just look how good the first two Predators still look today compared to a lot of the CGI monsters they churn out now.

Not to mention, the Predator has traditionally been played with suit work for five films now, to the point where that humanoid movement is undeniably part of the look. It wouldn't make sense to suddenly go full-CGI just so it can leap and jump about in inhuman ways, because it's never done that before.

Corporal Hicks

I agree too. I wouldn't want the creatures done with CGI throughout the entirety of the films. As I said earlier - it would just depend on exactly what they're trying to do. I'd only want to see CGI where it iis needed to help a particular moment. As you said, the Predator has been done with man a suit for so long that it is part of the performance. I honestly don't expect to see Black change that.

overthere

Speaking of which, Predator's movement in the original movie is vastly different when he's using his cloak from his normal presence. Compare the way he's running at Dillon and, say, when he's running down the rocks after Dutch got muddy. No way that heavy thing could run that fast when he was after Dillon.

Whiskeybrewer

I think a mix of CGI and Live action would work best but with Live Action being the mainstay

System Apollo

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 08, 2015, 01:42:23 PM

Not to mention, the Predator has traditionally been played with suit work for five films now, to the point where that humanoid movement is undeniably part of the look. It wouldn't make sense to suddenly go full-CGI just so it can leap and jump about in inhuman ways, because it's never done that before.
It's been animated through cgi to get the movements a human isn't capable of doing in the last 3 installments it was in.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: System Apollo on Sep 11, 2015, 12:04:06 PMIt's been animated through cgi to get the movements a human isn't capable of doing in the last 3 installments it was in.

Really? I can't vouch for Requiem (mostly because I couldn't see shit) but I'm pretty sure everything involving the Predators in AVP and Predators was done practically.

System Apollo

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 11, 2015, 01:18:38 PM
Quote from: System Apollo on Sep 11, 2015, 12:04:06 PMIt's been animated through cgi to get the movements a human isn't capable of doing in the last 3 installments it was in.

Really? I can't vouch for Requiem (mostly because I couldn't see shit) but I'm pretty sure everything involving the Predators in AVP and Predators was done practically.
:laugh:

AvP 2004: A lot of shots between the predator and the queen were computer generated. Most notably is when it jumps 15 to 20 feet in the air to impale the queen's head with its spear.

AvP Requiem 2007: One shot was done where it gets launched after getting whipped by Chet's tail. Another notable scene though is when it fires at a xenomorph at the power plant and leaps at a lengthy height to pursue it. This of course was done while it was cloaked.

Predators 2010: During the first contact when the team were caught in a crossfire with them they were seen sprinting at a fairly fast pace. Also when they were cloaked.

In the first two installments it is sort of implied that they have these capabilities but I guess at the time they couldn't really demonstrate it.

AvPR is the strongest example of their leaping abilities as the film specifically tried to showcase this.

HuDaFuK

Ah, fair enough. I'd actually forgotten about that leaping shot in the first AVP! But it's a good case in point - it looks fake and silly, because the movement is all wrong. No CGI preds, thanks.

System Apollo

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 14, 2015, 07:43:01 AM
Ah, fair enough. I'd actually forgotten about that leaping shot in the first AVP! But it's a good case in point - it looks fake and silly, because the movement is all wrong. No CGI preds, thanks.
I can't agree with you there, sorry.  :-\
The predator; Falconer, leaping from a fairly decent height looked highly awkward and anything but natural in Predators (2010). Which was a homage to the original predator from the movie in 1987. Most predator costumes are really hard to maneuver through due to the disproportionate sizes in some of the anatomical features that (for a lack of better words) just don't make sense. CGI can really come in handy to cover some of these things up.

Xenomorphine

Exactly right. Practical effects have limitations CGI can counter and augment. Conveying weight and inertia isn't really an issue if it's done right.

Most people don't realise just how tremendously powerful the technology now can be.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed