Recent posts

Alien: Romulus / Re: Alien: Romulus Catch-All T...
Last post by Highland - Today at 11:19:00 AM
I just realised again thinking about it that Hudson gets grabbed from a vent underground that's not even part of the original ambush.

Local trouble - Ill give her a C+

I'll give Kane a pass, but Oram is possibly the dumbest man in the universe.
Last post by SiL - Today at 11:12:50 AM
It's not like the marines' hubris is a theme in the movie or anything.

Alien also doesn't happen without Kane sticking his face in an egg, so it must be equally inexcusable; and if we can say "oh, well the plot would happen the same way if something else happened", we can just as easily say the plot of Aliens would simply transpire in the time it took the b team to get to the planet.
Last post by Highland - Today at 11:11:36 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Today at 08:49:31 AMAre you talking about the air duct that Newt led them to?

It literally just lifts off too and Newt already knows about the vent system. Whole scene is kinda whacko when you sit and think about it  :laugh:
Last post by Local Trouble - Today at 10:58:42 AM
As I said in one of the locked ralfy threads:

QuoteIt would have been helpful to the story if Gorman was shown insisting that Bishop accompany them to the surface despite Bishop reminding him that he's supposed to remain on board the Sulaco in case something goes wrong.  It would have been perfectly in line with Gorman's character at that point.
Last post by BlueMarsalis79 - Today at 10:54:32 AM
Not leaving a custodial staff on board the Sulaco's by far the dumbest thing in Aliens, and it's the most inexcusable because it had to happen for the overall plot.
General Discussion / Re: Religion
Last post by SiL - Today at 10:47:21 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Today at 10:16:15 AMThis is why I had to create Elon. >:(
You have no one to blame for Alien Resurrection and Skull but yourself.
Last post by BlueMarsalis79 - Today at 10:46:34 AM
The Last Battle sucks.

"This book sucks and the way it sucks are very Anglican, and they insist that they aren't being arseholes because what they really mean is, and at that point I stop f**king listening because I'm not here for apologetics for an allegory that's ashamed of the f**king word. Just admit you're in a religion that would murder a billion to save a handful and that's your vision of a reasonable God and stop annoying me with the posturing."
AvP Galaxy News / Re: What Is Canon & Should We ...
Last post by SM - Today at 10:37:06 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Today at 08:37:48 AM
Quote from: SM on Today at 08:03:37 AMWhen I spoke to them about joining the RPG project they complimented me on how comprehensive it was, and how helpful it would be.

So they used it and didn't even credit you?

I was paid by Fox so it was their property to provide to licensees. They weren't required to credit me. I ended up in the Special Thanks box with a million other people.

Quote from: Prez on Today at 09:20:19 AM
Quote from: SM on Today at 08:03:37 AMDon't know.  I've made no secret that I wrote most of it, which was back before the RPG started.  When I spoke to them about joining the RPG project they complimented me on how comprehensive it was, and how helpful it would be.

So unless you're talking about something different - another bible - I'm not sure?  The one I worked on is not the one Ridley talked about in interviews around the time of Covenant.

Wow. So many questions I want to ask you @SM. Never knew this. How does one get into a position to be even asked to write such a thing - I'm very intrigued (and forgive my ignorance if this is covering old ground for you).

It's down to SD Perry who put me in contact with Fox licensing while she was writing the Weyland-Yutani Report, and Willie Goldman who put me in touch with them again after staff changes and I lost contact.

After the Disney takeover the licensing staff were all laid off and I've not had contact since.
Last post by Kradan - Today at 10:30:25 AM
Btw, thanks for Putin

Spoiler
/s
[close]
Alien Films / Re: Alien 3 Numerical Rating
Last post by Neila - Today at 10:17:38 AM
it starts again ?
Yay!!! Count me in.

so:
Alien 3 has its problems, we know that.
(but even the best films from one brand have their problems)
But it's still a great film with very high standards in terms of camerawork, mood and acting.

I wrote this in another thread a few days ago but I'm happy to repeat it here:
I think the acting of the main characters in A3 is really great and I like it even better than in Aliens.

The parallel filming during the birth of the alien with Dillion's prayer is perfectly staged and one of the best of the whole saga.

The beginning and the end alone (sun disappearing behind the planet and reappearing after Ripley's death) have a beautiful religious allusion that runs through the entire film.

The score is fantastic and I wish Elliot Goldenthal had incorporated the choir into Adagio back then, as he had done in some live performances.

The alien design is great and I like the "facial expression" which is really nasty and mean. (unfortunately this design was continued as a basis and continued worse instead of returning to the biomechanical design in the other films)
With Doggy and the destroyed Bishop, which receive far too little praise, ADI have delivered their best work.

I definitely prefer the assembly cut, although I would definitely have kept the dog scene.
The ox scene doesn't have nearly that impact.

and I personally would have left the queenburster in there too.

8/10

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed