Prey Catch All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 22, 2021, 07:54:07 AM

Author
Prey Catch All Thread (Read 331,590 times)

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 18, 2022, 11:11:44 AM
Quote from: NecronomIV on Jun 18, 2022, 11:00:00 AMIt was less specifically "boy-scout stuff" and more Viet Cong guerrilla stuff -- Poncho says to Dutch earlier in the film "Remember Vietnam?" and Dutch's response is that he tries to forget it. But he wins against the Predator by remembering Vietnam, and the specific tactics of the Viet Cong, especially with regard to using primitive weapons and traps that are made of wood. He remembers what it's like to be one with the lesser technology, but the greater local knowledge.

I think I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen anyone make that connection to the Vietcong. I was calling out the Boy Scout aspect, as that's what Dillon specifically says while Dutch is setting up those initial traps. But I really do like that take on it, NecronomIV.

TBH I feel a bit of a dunce about it -- I'd been researching VC and Vietnam recently for an essay series I write for a hobby, and then happened to watch Predator and the penny dropped. Only 30 or more years after I watched it for the first time!!

Predator is actually a really smart film. Do you know if anyone has done a deep-dive or a serious critical look at the film?

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Jun 18, 2022, 11:26:16 AMDoesn't Poncho say 'Remember Afghanistan?' rather than Vietnam?

But I think I still remember someone mentioning Vietnam... regardless I really like the analysis, Necronom. It's not a stretch at all that Dutch lived through that war considering he's a Major.

Some Old Dude

Dillon and Dutch have that special gifted lighter from Vietnam.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Blain and Mac were in Vietnam together as well, I believe.

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

There's nothing woke about a girl defeating a Predator with a well placed trap. It's about outsmarting the Predator not overpowering it. It's not like they're gonna have her beat him with nothing but a tomahawk.

hoffmanstokes

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 18, 2022, 08:34:58 AM
Quote from: shadowedge on Jun 18, 2022, 03:54:59 AMWhat is so wrong with wokeness and why do some people have a problem with it? Becoming more diverse and empathetic to other groups of people and genders is how society moves forward. A better more inclusive future.

Problem is because 50 kg primitive girl cannot defeat 200 kg high tech alien. It is just stupid.

might want to turn on your sound and watch the trailer again..

she quite literally says it - "it knows how to hunt, i know how to survive"

predator is in her hood. she's not some cia agent pushing too many pencils. she's comanche. surviving in the woods is what she does.

Preddie-nokas

Preddie-nokas

Quote from: SiL on Jun 18, 2022, 09:57:07 AMDutch's strength and weapons counted for nothing. It was his ingenuity and quick thinking that saved him, things accessible to all humans for all history.

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jun 18, 2022, 05:00:32 PMThere's nothing woke about a girl defeating a Predator with a well placed trap. It's about outsmarting the Predator not overpowering it. It's not like they're gonna have her beat him with nothing but a tomahawk.

It is very wrong to assume Dutch's strength and weapons counted for nothing. We can analyze final battle.

Dutch had explosive-tipped arrow, not some primitive wood arrow, and Dutch wounded Predator which was clear by Predator's green blood which could be seen on many stones in the final battle. After that Predator caught Dutch and melee fight started. Dutch received severe beating from Predator, I am sure 50 kg teen girl would die from the beating alone. Dutch 120 kg muscular frame was the reason he endured those hits, stayed alive and reached the trap. Finally, 200kg+ log was lifted by Dutch muscles, Comanche teen girl wouldn't be able to do it.

Let's analyze Predator 2. Harrigan first severely wounded Predator from the shotgun in the slaughterhouse, with several bullets. This is much more powerful than any wooded arrow. Predator survived direct shotgun bullet hits which just proves how resilient they are. After that, on the roof Harrigan pushed Predator which was hanging from the building by holding Harrigan's arm. 50 kg teen girl couldn't push 200 kg Predator, nor she could hold Predator weight on the roof. She would just fell and died. Harrigan was even taller then Dutch, little bit lighter in weight, but above average man in every case.

I'll be quick with Predators, of 3 of them, 2 were defeated by men, and last one mostly from man with the help of Isabelle's sniper bullet. Royce wasn't strong as Dutch, but was very fast, agile,  and overall tough for his build. 50 kg teen girl couldn't physically do what Royce did, couldn't even decapitate Predator.

Quote from: NecronomIV on Jun 18, 2022, 11:00:00 AM
Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 18, 2022, 08:34:58 AMProblem is because 50 kg primitive girl cannot defeat 200 kg high tech alien. It is just stupid.

It's a failure of imagination to make this statement. Or insecurity. If the script is solid and the direction good, there's no reason this not only can't be plausible, but actually heroic and awesome.

No, it is not failure of imagination, yes humans can be very smart, but athleticism and physicality are very important, brain gave as an edge with technology we made, but if we have primitive weapons against physically and technologically more dominant enemy there is a limit where our craftiness can bring us. I just cannot imagine how primitive teen girl will defeat Predator who toyed with elite military units.

You can also check sport, when 15-year old boys teams in soccer or basketball are always easily winning women national teams. Even Phil Jackson told that.

https://www.slamonline.com/archives/phil-jackson-on-women-in-nba-no-way/

"When Jackson ran a youth basketball camp in Montana early in his coaching career, he recalls pitting a state champion high school girls team against a group of middle-school boys who had never played together. The outcome of the game was so one-sided in favor of the boys that it has stuck in Jackson's mind ever since. '(The girls) were all four to six inches bigger than these boys, and they got beat by 40 points,' Jackson said. 'It was one of those things that opened my eyes to the differences. Even though the girls had skill and knowledge as a group and the boys hadn't played together, they just trapped and pressed and did all kinds of things that changed the game "

SiL

SiL

Dutch ran out of weapons without doing anything more than scratch the Predator and deactivate one weapon. The Predator was more than able to beat him to death immediately; it was clearly toying with Dutch.

So yes, his weapons and strength counted for nothing in the end. It was his quick thinking that saved him and defeated the Predator.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

That's the whole point of the story. Getting back to your wild nature and survival skills in order to... survive. Perfect fit for the next movie.

Of course execution could ruin it, but so far I'm excited with what I saw  ;D

NecronomIV

NecronomIV

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 19, 2022, 09:31:51 AM
Quote from: NecronomIV on Jun 18, 2022, 11:00:00 AMIt's a failure of imagination to make this statement. Or insecurity. If the script is solid and the direction good, there's no reason this not only can't be plausible, but actually heroic and awesome.

No, it is not failure of imagination, yes humans can be very smart, but athleticism and physicality are very important, brain gave as an edge with technology we made, but if we have primitive weapons against physically and technologically more dominant enemy there is a limit where our craftiness can bring us. I just cannot imagine how primitive teen girl will defeat Predator who toyed with elite military units.

You just wrote:
"No, it is not a failure of imagination ... "

Followed by:
"I just cannot imagine ..."

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 19, 2022, 09:31:51 AMYou can also check sport, when 15-year old boys teams in soccer or basketball are always easily winning women national teams. Even Phil Jackson told that.

"When Jackson ran a youth basketball camp in Montana early in his coaching career, he recalls pitting a state champion high school girls team against a group of middle-school boys who had never played together. The outcome of the game was so one-sided in favor of the boys that it has stuck in Jackson's mind ever since. '(The girls) were all four to six inches bigger than these boys, and they got beat by 40 points,' Jackson said. 'It was one of those things that opened my eyes to the differences. Even though the girls had skill and knowledge as a group and the boys hadn't played together, they just trapped and pressed and did all kinds of things that changed the game "

You're saying that it is possible for a younger, lighter, less experienced group of human individuals to win a game playing against seasoned, older, heavier individuals.

So then it follows that a younger, lighter and possibly less experienced human could beat a seasoned, older and heavier Predator, yes?

(Nb: it's about tactics - less experienced chess players can flummox and defeat seasoned professional chess players because they play in a way that isn't the conventional "correct" way. Probably one large factor in the game example is the boys hadn't played together, so they might well have had quite a random and unorthodox play style. Make mistakes and win the game!)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I guess he was saying that a lighter man is still physically stronger than a heavier woman generally, which is mostly true. A 65kg male boxer generally hits harder than a 70kg female boxer.

There are exceptions though, and if the weight gap is huge in favor of the woman, it can sometimes nullify this fact. Still, skills, resilience, ruse, knowledge of the terrain should be keys in order to survive in this movie.

skhellter

skhellter

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 19, 2022, 09:31:51 AMNo, it is not failure of imagination, yes humans can be very smart, but athleticism and physicality are very important, brain gave as an edge with technology we made, but if we have primitive weapons against physically and technologically more dominant enemy there is a limit where our craftiness can bring us. I just cannot imagine how primitive teen girl will defeat Predator who toyed with elite military units.

You can also check sport, when 15-year old boys teams in soccer or basketball are always easily winning women national teams. Even Phil Jackson told that.

Are you trying to get kidnapped by the Predator from the last film?

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 19, 2022, 09:31:51 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jun 18, 2022, 09:57:07 AMDutch's strength and weapons counted for nothing. It was his ingenuity and quick thinking that saved him, things accessible to all humans for all history.

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Jun 18, 2022, 05:00:32 PMThere's nothing woke about a girl defeating a Predator with a well placed trap. It's about outsmarting the Predator not overpowering it. It's not like they're gonna have her beat him with nothing but a tomahawk.

It is very wrong to assume Dutch's strength and weapons counted for nothing. We can analyze final battle.

Dutch had explosive-tipped arrow, not some primitive wood arrow, and Dutch wounded Predator which was clear by Predator's green blood which could be seen on many stones in the final battle. After that Predator caught Dutch and melee fight started. Dutch received severe beating from Predator, I am sure 50 kg teen girl would die from the beating alone. Dutch 120 kg muscular frame was the reason he endured those hits, stayed alive and reached the trap. Finally, 200kg+ log was lifted by Dutch muscles, Comanche teen girl wouldn't be able to do it.

Let's analyze Predator 2. Harrigan first severely wounded Predator from the shotgun in the slaughterhouse, with several bullets. This is much more powerful than any wooded arrow. Predator survived direct shotgun bullet hits which just proves how resilient they are. After that, on the roof Harrigan pushed Predator which was hanging from the building by holding Harrigan's arm. 50 kg teen girl couldn't push 200 kg Predator, nor she could hold Predator weight on the roof. She would just fell and died. Harrigan was even taller then Dutch, little bit lighter in weight, but above average man in every case.

I'll be quick with Predators, of 3 of them, 2 were defeated by men, and last one mostly from man with the help of Isabelle's sniper bullet. Royce wasn't strong as Dutch, but was very fast, agile,  and overall tough for his build. 50 kg teen girl couldn't physically do what Royce did, couldn't even decapitate Predator.

Quote from: NecronomIV on Jun 18, 2022, 11:00:00 AM
Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Jun 18, 2022, 08:34:58 AMProblem is because 50 kg primitive girl cannot defeat 200 kg high tech alien. It is just stupid.

It's a failure of imagination to make this statement. Or insecurity. If the script is solid and the direction good, there's no reason this not only can't be plausible, but actually heroic and awesome.

The problem with your logic is that you are breaking down three films with three different scenarios.  The girl doesn't have to do the same thing dutch did, she doesn't have to lift a log, and she doesn't have to get beat up by the predator before she can win. What if she just runs from him and leads him into trap after trap? Home Alone style. Get him so frustrated and angry that he can't think straight and charges right at her and falls into a punji stick trap. She wins without ever having to touch him.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Also fire, tar pits, wild fauna etc... So many things to do with this movie.

ace3g

ace3g

New crew jacket from Umesh's IG story

Umesh Thamotharam   ...   Visual Effect Production Assistant

New crew listing

Saran Kumar   ...   Visual Effects Production Manager: MPC/Mr. X.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed