Box Office Takings for The Predator

Started by Tetsujin, Jul 20, 2018, 05:00:59 PM

Author
Box Office Takings for The Predator (Read 85,624 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 23, 2018, 02:37:19 AM
So how much does it need to make to not be considered a complete failure? 2 times the budget? 1.5?
About three times the budget.

skull-splitter

Never trust John Davis again. It's that simple.

Nukiemorph

Hopefully we'll see some Hulu shows in the future, but I fear the days of 50-100 million dollar theatrical Alien/Predator movies are over.

Alien goes out on a cliffhanger that leaves a big narrative gap.
Predator goes out on a butchered mess of a movie that doesn't make sense.

Lame.

Xen

Xen

Good! I'm glad all these terrible Alien and Predator movies are bombing, at least we won't be getting more shitty sequels. I mean, I'm not happy about the damage done to the franchise but it's clear Fox have no idea what they're doing. I'd rather have several years of dormancy than more crap.

Wweyland

The Terminator 6 crew should be worried all right. Worried about actually making a good movie.

azamultic

Well, I guess we will need to wait another 10-20 years for another movie (if they even decide to make it)  :-[
Hopefully Shane Black and cast team wouldn't suffer from this flop.

predator2rules

So it looks like I will be wrong about the 200 million world wide takings. See AVP Galaxy headlines. I'll eat humble pie. I'm really depressed. The thing I don't get is how did AVP make more money. Was it a better film? thoughts/opinions. Surely that had bad word of mouth and reviews. Or is it worse now with social media etc.

ELDERCLANLEADER

I knew this film was doomed the moment the script leaked. But bloody hell, you would of thought fox would of cut their losses while they had the chance? Ouch! Not that i have sympathy for them. They made their bed they can now sleep in it.   
Anyway the good news is, if we do see another predator or alien film, it wont be coming from fox!!!!
The bad news is disney might throw both franchises in the dust bin, i mean i think its quite clear public interest has dropped for these kind of movies.  I cant see disney wanting to touch predator and alien. I think they will likely be sold on.

demonbane

Quote from: burkewhimp on Sep 23, 2018, 11:05:15 AM
So it looks like I will be wrong about the 200 million world wide takings. See AVP Galaxy headlines. I'll eat humble pie. I'm really depressed. The thing I don't get is how did AVP make more money. Was it a better film? thoughts/opinions. Surely that had bad word of mouth and reviews. Or is it worse now with social media etc.
Because the first AVP was very anticipated film. It was about putting iconic monsters against each other. At best, that film was generally mixed bag. AVPR damaged the franchise far worse. That's why people started abandoning the franchise. Predators didn't fare well, but it didn't tarnish the overall image. (I think the film is underrated.)
This movie is objectively bad. People are fed up with bad entry. Bad pacing and editing which resulted in incoherent storytelling. Moreover, Fox didn't even invest on marketing enough. In Korea, there hasn't been a single advertisement for this movie... except maybe at baseball stadium. Overall, piss poor marketing is also huge factor.

The Old One

The Old One

Your daily reminder that equating Alien with Predator is incorrect.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: SiL on Sep 23, 2018, 09:01:25 AM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 23, 2018, 02:37:19 AM
So how much does it need to make to not be considered a complete failure? 2 times the budget? 1.5?
About three times the budget.

I thought 3 times meant the movie was a sucess, I mean the line between a sucess and a movie flop,  the minimum for it to not be completely a failure but not be a huge financial sucess either, kind of like Covenant. Which was around 2x the budget.

The chances of this making 3 times the budget are unlikely so it needs to at least not flop too much.

Elroy_Herdsman

Elroy_Herdsman

Tis a shame. The sex offender thing will be blamed  by the studio to save face but (from a purely pragmatic perspective) Roman Polanski's films still make money so that's not an adequate explanation for such poor performance. This was just a weak film that (a) threw a lot of intriguing concepts around without ever fleshing them out properly and (b) didn't retain enough thematic and aesthetic inspiration from it's source material. In those two respects, it reminds me so much of Prometheus. Both films tried very hard to be several things simultaneously and ultimately failed at being any of them sufficiently.

The Old One

The Old One

I don't know if it qualifies as a flop, but it's damn close.

BigDaddyJohn

Don't worry, we mighty French are coming !

LOL

whiterabbit

Did this film even open in China? I mean if it did it would probably pull in 200M considering how Micheal Bay "transformers" it is. I'm assuming it isn't going to open though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed