Box Office Takings for The Predator

Started by Tetsujin, Jul 20, 2018, 05:00:59 PM

Author
Box Office Takings for The Predator (Read 85,602 times)

csutkakoma

You know I would be happy if the movie flops big time. It is a franchise killer and I dont want to se this continue. Just a trully horrible mess.

The Old One

The Old One

I don't see how Predator could work as a TV series.
Predator has action and tension in it's DNA.

There's no place for rumination, because all you have is the creature.
No world or universe to explore.

Alien on the other hand...

yautjapet

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 16, 2018, 04:45:32 PM

Then they can create a world and universe to explore. Quite a lot is already established in the comics, even if they don't use it directly it's solid inspiration. And have you never watched a TV show that had you on the edge of your seat and you had to binge it all in one go because you just couldn't wait to see what happens next?

Kimo

Kimo

I agree the negitive reviews or the incident with Shane Black's friend won't of done this film many favours. But i also think it's due to the first couple of trailers for "The Predator" looking like shit. The hype train, never really taking momentum and non die hard Pred fans stopped caring after the first trailer(s) dropped. Yes the final trailer was great, but was a little late in my option.

john wick

john wick

Just got back from watching the movie have to say it was average at best. The movie was chopped to pieces in the editing room, characters just disappeared and scenes seemed missing overall a mess, with some okay action and violence. The cinema was empty barely 10 people on the showing. I'm from the UK. This is the end of the franchise for at least a decade or more.

Beans81

Quote from: Fugitive Predator on Sep 16, 2018, 04:19:17 PM
Quote from: Beans81 on Sep 16, 2018, 04:14:22 PM
Quote from: Fugitive Predator on Sep 16, 2018, 04:00:29 PM
honestly if i was fox right now i think i would pull a Annihilation and sell it to netflix.
i think that way fox could make more money on the predator than continue the cinema run.

Interesting idea.

It wouldn't happen with Disney's buy out of Fox but I'd like to see someone like Gunn reboot the franchise.

With Disney's business model to only produce family friendly movies I can see them letting it leave the studio. Unless they do decide to use the end scene of a jumping off point & take it to a MCU type level (rolls eyes)

to be fair i think that would do more damage with all the gunn pedo stuff.

Not necessarily Gunn. Just someone like him.

Fugitive Predator

oh but no china box office yet ?

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: yautjapet on Sep 16, 2018, 04:51:23 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Sep 16, 2018, 04:45:32 PM

Then they can create a world and universe to explore. Quite a lot is already established in the comics, even if they don't use it directly it's solid inspiration. And have you never watched a TV show that had you on the edge of your seat and you had to binge it all in one go because you just couldn't wait to see what happens next?

The point is, you can't have the Predator in every episode- even a generous budget wouldn't support that.
So then you're left with a show about a creature that will only appear 1/3 of the time- with no other intrigue to explore that was present in the original.

Alien has a world established in the 1979 film with lots of elements to explore,  "A L I E N"  itself also being a term for fear of the foreign.
With the philosophical themes more present in the prequels, there's an abundance of established ideas to explore.

Predator has no established ideas to explore, and therefore nothing to attract people to that potential project.
But it can't be about just anything, it has to be about "Predator" which can't be done in a TV format.

PredBabe

PredBabe

If we are talking about the series' story revolving around the standard hunt, then absolutely not. You'd be dragging out a simple story throughout the length of a series. It would turn into a case of The Walking Dead- probably worse...

There is a lot that can be done with the predator creature themselves but that involves really getting into the nitty gritty of their society and perhaps taking us to their home world or another alien hunting planet all together. Fact of the matter is that the Predators are an intelligent species with a presumed culture. There's a lot that you can do with something like this considering how we know each predator has their own personality and thought process. That, for me, makes them a bit more interesting than the xenomorph, in that it opens more doors for different stories and characters (both human and alien/predator alike). But for them to further establish the lore and completely unveil their culture will surely leave the panties of many in a bunch. Most don't want to see anything past what the first or second movies showed us. There's no denying it would take the risk of straying away from the tone established within the first movie and we've already kind of seen it.

At any rate, I truly hope we see a future instalment play up on the predator language more because that was something I loved from the new movie.

Something I want to add: I'm not too sure how popular science fiction is anymore. I feel like most people just aren't interested in this genre. Sure Star Wars is successful but that's a given. 

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Not to sound like Lisa Simpson at the end of "Malbu Stacy/Lisa Lionheart" or Homer Simpson premier of "Poochie".

I liked THE PREDATOR and gave it a 5/5. My opinion still stands.

That said box office says that AVP and AVP-R did fair better at the box office and on home blu-ray so............ahem.

ALIENS VS PREDATOR-3 now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for my last comment this seems to be a trending/shared topic. Let's silence the critics while we are rebooting each franchise under the trojan horse of expected mediocracy to launch a surprise attack.

Fugitive Predator

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Sep 16, 2018, 05:51:05 PM
Not to sound like Lisa Simpson at the end of "Malbu Stacy/Lisa Lionheart" or Homer Simpson premier of "Poochie".

I liked THE PREDATOR and gave it a 5/5. My opinion still stands.

That said box office says that AVP and AVP-R did fair better at the box office and on home blu-ray so............ahem.

ALIENS VS PREDATOR-3 now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for my last comment this seems to be a trending/shared topic. Let's silence the critics while we are rebooting each franchise under the trojan horse of expected mediocracy to launch a surprise attack.

you know i woulden't mind a avp 3 hopefully 3rd times the charm :D

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 16, 2018, 05:50:27 PM
If we are talking about the series' story revolving around the standard hunt, then absolutely not. You'd be dragging out a simple story throughout the length of a series. It would turn into a case of The Walking Dead- probably worse...

But then you're basically just humanising the Predator because that's our point of reference, no matter what you do. So why bother?

Yautja_Warrior

So it's probably not going to make mega money (as expected anyway) but a change it will make back it's budget with China and a few more weeks in the US and Europe, so hopefully it won't be a total bomb.

ELDERCLANLEADER

The old one, right so that's like saying you can't have a super hero in every episode because a budget wouldn't allow it, (heroes anyone)

Not to mention predator is just a man in a suit... yeah its going to break the budget that isn't it??...lol

Look its been proven time and time again, that t.v series can be way more suspenseful than movies can be. You have a lot of time in a t.v show to work with, to flesh characters out more than you do in a movie. Which would work in Predators favour not against it. Because every death on screen would be felt, because you have had time to get to know them. Also i disagree with you about predator doesn't have a world to explore, if anything predator is crying out to be explored further. We now pretty much know everything there is to know  about the xenomorphs. The same cannot be said about Predator. I'v always said this, the problem with Predator is there isn't enough cohesiveness to its story, its this that has ultimately hurt the franchise through the years because nothing really connected together. There is no deeper story line going on where the viewer can look forward to next one. For me a t.v series could correct that.

A t.v show would also allow directors and producers to try ideas out that might not of been passed with a big budget movie. You can take more risks with television and be more creative.

The more i think about a Predator t.v series, the more i see its potential.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 16, 2018, 06:04:57 PM
Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 16, 2018, 05:50:27 PM

But then you're basically just humanising the Predator because that's our point of reference, no matter what you do. So why bother?

The comics have already done this to a certain extent, and I'm fine with it. The movies have also done their share in humanizing - like their architecture in AvP, communication/interactions in The Predator, there are bits and pieces littered throughout what's already been provided to fans. But then we could also argue, is that really humanization or just major milestones that all civilizations reach at some point in their development.

I think ultimately the humanization idea is really up to personal taste - some people want the creature to remain entirely in the shadows, others want it fully exposed complete with mythos and lore, etc. I think we could have a series that can carry recurring Predator characters without them completely mirroring humanity and maintaining a lot of the elements that make them the "other", but it would all boil down to very clever writing. The novels have done an excellent job at doing this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed