Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.5%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 439

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 320,784 times)

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

The following Fan Review contains spoiler information.

PROMETHEUS, MY THOUGHTS

So, Prometheus has landed everywhere in the world now and the Extraterrestrial cat is now out of the bag. As one of many who grew up watching the ALIEN movies what did I think?

Before I start the review let me just say that the audience I was with was a solid audience. No annoying bastards making noise and things like that. The theater wasn't full or packed, but it wasn't empty either. It was that Goldilocks zone of just enough to not make one worry, but not too many that the place is crowded with annoying people.

Right off I gotta say, the movie is beautiful. Some absolutely breath taking scenery and cinematography.

Prometheus is a lot of fun, and I think I can pinpoint where people are dissappointed, and why. It's an unfortunate consequence of people wanting certain things and those certain things either being wholly different than anticipated (The Jockey's being super-humans, essentially, for one.) or not being present at all. (Some were hoping for a narrative that directly tied to the original Alien.)

I had heard a lot of the flak leveled against the film for having a very 'butchered' edit. I honestly, and bare in mind this comes from someone who has been studying, practicing, and doing editing since I was 13, only a couple places exist where the film really shot itself in the foot with editing. The most glaring for me was Shaw's character not telling anyone about her newborn baby. I can forgive this one though. To be fair there was a lot happening on the ship, Weyland is revealed for the first time, and there's a strong sense of urgency. It's a tricky choice, as exposition can absolutely destroy a film's pace. Which is more important? Well, Ridley seemed to feel his forward thrust was more important at this point.

There is one objective that Prometheus fails out, for ALIEN veterans that is, and that is the horror and scares. The audience I was with was pulled into the scare moments far better than I was. I saw this film with my brother and his new girlfriend. She had never seen any of the ALIEN films, and my brother had only passingly watched ALIENS with me. And neither of them are too big on scares or scary films. So for them, what the movie was delivering was probably very intense. Honestly I found myself grinning and just enjoying the excitement of these scenes more than being terrified by them. As I told my brother upon exiting the theater "Alien didn't have a sense of humour, it was out to get you from the moment the title sequence starts." That's not something that bothered me so much. I enjoyed the movie for being a Science Fiction epic, with a peppering of action. So thumbs down on the scares, but with the aforementioned modifier.

I found that the musical score actually worked quite well. A number of the bits which I had heard were misused and seemed not to fit the tone, actually fit the tone of film perfectly. What they don't fit is an ALIEN movie. But that's, again, where I think the veteran fans aren't fully understanding what they were watching. It wasn't supposed to be an Alien Prequel, in anything but spirit. Even with the ending(I'll get to it). The movie only borrows a vague set dressing and some ideas from the bible of Alien, but it itself is not an Alien movie proper. It deals with very different subject matters, and has a very different intent. The Alien movies were never about exploring our origins, whereas Prometheus is a good 90% about that.

My biggest complaint with the film is the character, honestly. I wanted more. I liked pretty much everyone. Even Logan Marshall Green's Holloway, who upon meeting his demise, I had basically had a complete reversal of how I felt about his character. Going into the movie I hated the man, and I hated his character. By his death the SOB actually grew on me a bit. He certainly didn't deserve what he got. I loved Shaw and Holloway's relationship, and I wish it had been given a little more time in the film to really grow early on. Certain things are a little hamfisted, like Shaw's "I'm barren." In my experience, that kind of moment does not lead to sex. It leads to a lot of holding and crying. Call me old fashioned.

There was one bit of exposition from Captain Janek that comes out of left field, and honestly I wish it had been given more context. Janek has seen the inside of the temple, and he comes to the conclusion that it's a weapons factory. He, however, hadn't said anything about it until he's talking with Shaw. It would have been nice if he had this epiphany while he was still in the temple where the revelation would have given a nice "oh shit" moment for the audience. It also would have been nice if his military background was in someway given in the early portion of the film to help explain why he sees things in such military terms.

As far as our leading ladies I loved both of them. I actually find myself more endeared to Shaw than I do to Ripley. There's just something about her. She has a strength of presence that Weaver didn't quite have. In particular I found the religious nature of her character to be handled with tact and very maturely. It wasn't used as an excuse to bash or support religion. She just "chooses to" believe, even in the face of all the horrible stuff going on around her. Big credit to Noomi Rapace's performance. I hope we get to see more of her character in the sequel. Where she leaves off, and where she's going holds the promise of some very interesting developments.

Charlize Theron's Meredith Vickers is a fantastic addition. Again, I wish we had been given a bit more of her character background. Particularly her relationship to her father. It needed a bit more meat, and the delivery of that little revelation is very contrived.

To my surprise there was one final bit that I really appreciated as someone who was debating the science behind Prometheus for the better part of six months up to it's release. One of the characters, Millburn, gives a bit of a shout out to Darwinism and "If you kids want to throw out three centuries of dawrinism, good luck with that." I appreciated that. The movie acknowledges it's own absurdity in that regard, and it diffuses some of the silliness.

That brings me to the big final element of Prometheus. The biggest of all. The alien beings we've waited 30 years to know anything about. The Engineers...

...Handled absolutely perfectly in my book. I was never on board with the scientific premise of the film. But the opening scene that depicts an engineer sacrificing himself to be recombined into the early forms that would eventually lead to us was filmed beautifully.

Their motivations are shrouded in mystery, and they provoked genuine interest from me. I wanted to see more of them. Learn more. What we get though is incredibly intriguing. Particularly interesting I found was the scene when the engineer first wakes up. He takes little regard for the humans around him and moves with complete alpha superiority. When he does finally acknowledge the humans presence. What must we look like to him? A bunch of small, noisey human beings, one beating on the female of the species, and what's this? One of them speaks our language? Hm... So far, yet so pathetic.

If I were to rate Prometheus up against it's fellow Alien movies i'd have to give it about a 6.5/10. It outdoes both AVP films, Alien Resurrection, Alien 3, and gets prety close to being as good as Aliens. A few pitfalls in the editing keep it from reaching it's best, and I honestly think an extended cut with more characterisation would fix most of the films major flaws. We need more about these people to care.

As a Science Fiction epic released in the era of instant gratification and flashy effects? I'd give it an additional point, 7/10. I didn't leave the theater dissappointed. I left with a smile on my face, and on the faces of my compatriots who were all talking about what we had just seen, and the best part is? My brother and I went home and watched Alien together for the first time.

Is Prometheus everything it could have been? No. It's a flawed film, to be sure, but is it bad? Absolutely not.

I hope Prometheus does well enough not only to warrant a sequel, but also to warrant a rejuvenation in big budget Science Fiction films, as the genre has been floundering for quite awhile.

-Steve

Samus007

Samus007

Great review Openmaw, enjoyed reading that.That's pretty much exactly how I felt about the movie as well. 4/5 stars for me.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 09, 2012, 08:41:56 AM
Worst thing about Prometheus? How completely unoriginal it is. Story follows the original film's plot points almost beat for beat, and the ampule stuff? Oh wow, a malevolent black alien goo that infects people and either possesses them or makes them pregnant with an alien! A strong female scientist who treasures the cruicifix she wears around her neck and maintains her faith even in the face of an alien invasion by what are actually this planets original inhabitants, who even influenced our evolution at various points in history! These not-so-alien beings actually plan on annihilating us by releasing their black goo alien virus on a global scale!

I HAVE NEVER COME ACROSS SUCH THINGS BEFORE! BRAVO, LINDELOF!

Did you notice when Shaw was at the mirror right before she put on Holloway's ring, they cut the part where she's praying?

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Considering the fact that she does end up praying, in a different camera angle and a little bit more calmly, I don't think that additional scene would have been appropriate - it would have been to repetitive and not jive well.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

It's interesting the inclusion of the black oil substance, notably used before in the X Files series. Largely it did to Fifield what it did to the people on the X Files show more or less. I'm fine with seeing things again that i've seen used in other stories, it's all about how it's used. I'll say again, I haven't seen any film like Prometheus before, despite it's similarities to the ALIEN series.

As I contemplate the film, I think about David, his agenda, or programming....and whether or not Vickers was/is a droid. I think about the larger meaning of the Engineers, who they are, where they discovered the genetic black substance. There is so much happening. I don't feel like the film suffers from bad editing, it suffers from newness.

Vepariga

Vepariga

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 09, 2012, 08:41:56 AM
Worst thing about Prometheus? How completely unoriginal it is. Story follows the original film's plot points almost beat for beat, and the ampule stuff? Oh wow, a malevolent black alien goo that infects people and either possesses them or makes them pregnant with an alien! A strong female scientist who treasures the cruicifix she wears around her neck and maintains her faith even in the face of an alien invasion by what are actually this planets original inhabitants, who even influenced our evolution at various points in history! These not-so-alien beings actually plan on annihilating us by releasing their black goo alien virus on a global scale!

I HAVE NEVER COME ACROSS SUCH THINGS BEFORE! BRAVO, LINDELOF!

haha yes yes your right. I feel the need for a mash-up trailer in the works right now.  :laugh:

mastermoon

mastermoon

I thought it was very good 4/5, it's a good but flawed movie.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

One thing that bugged me was that Shaw kept cringing in pain after her surgery but that never goes anywhere. I expected there to be another trace creature inside of her. But no, apparently she just had cramps <_<

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 09, 2012, 02:26:18 PM
One thing that bugged me was that Shaw kept cringing in pain after her surgery but that never goes anywhere. I expected there to be another trace creature inside of her. But no, apparently she just had cramps <_<
My fiance criticised it for not looking painful enough  :P Well I'm not going to argue with a pregnant lady who complains (rightfully) that her organs are being shifted around.

BANE

BANE

cvalda went in with hatred for the movie. His/her opinion is therefore irrelevant because it was already made up beforehand. As for the C-section not hurting enough, there was anaesthetic, and she injected herself with more afterwords (or maybe that was adrenaline. Either way, less painful).

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 09, 2012, 03:07:52 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 09, 2012, 02:26:18 PM
My fiance criticised it for not looking painful enough  :P Well I'm not going to argue with a pregnant lady who complains (rightfully) that her organs are being shifted around.

Yeah, your fiance is pregnant. Shaw wasn't.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: BLAIN on Jun 09, 2012, 03:50:33 PM
cvalda went in with hatred for the movie. His/her opinion is therefore irrelevant because it was already made up beforehand.
lulz. Didn't even read my review.

El Diablo

El Diablo

Quote from: Cybercat on Jun 09, 2012, 03:50:54 AM
QuoteI didn't like how a majority of the plot threads were left dangling as a set up for a sequel that may never happen. I don't really think that's fair to the audience who paid to see THIS film.

Yet, it was OK when it happened in every other film but A3, why?  I loved the ending.  Even if there never is a sequel, I feel totally satisfied.  I love that it left me wanting more and to imagine what happened to them.

Really? I don't recall the other films in the series being so open-ended or blatantly setting up a sequel. Sure, the potential to continue was always there in the previous movies but each individual film had a sense of closure.

Valaquen

Valaquen

As for the C-section not hurting enough, there was anaesthetic, and she injected herself with more afterwords (or maybe that was adrenaline. Either way, less painful).
I'll tell her you said that  ;D ... when I have the courage.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 09, 2012, 04:32:14 PM
cvalda went in with hatred for the movie. His/her opinion is therefore irrelevant because it was already made up beforehand.
lulz. Didn't even read my review.
Didn't have to. I've read your comments on the quality of the film before you even saw it. You had made your mind up. I've done that before: gone into a movie with a preconceived notion of it's quality. And I was looking for errors or dips in quality to support my notion. No matter how often you say you try to like it, you always end up wanting your notion to be right (as I said, I've done this before). So nobody was surprised when you said you didn't like it. Everything that didn't bother the majority of the impartial or non-opinionated bothered you. And I can relate. But nonetheless, I take your review with a grain of salt.

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 09, 2012, 04:37:32 PM
As for the C-section not hurting enough, there was anaesthetic, and she injected herself with more afterwords (or maybe that was adrenaline. Either way, less painful).
I'll tell her you said that  ;D ... when I have the courage.
I wouldn't if I were you. Keep it to yourself. It's bad enough when they get angry with you for no reason. When they have a reason...sweet Jesus.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed