Master

Master

Which isn't necessarily bad 😉

SiL

SiL

Not at all, I think Predator needs it.

exorcissy72

exorcissy72

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 12, 2022, 09:18:36 PMI think Prey takes the franchise tonally to a more naturalist realistic place than ever before.

I totally agree, but it still retains the pulpy/action movie feel of the other movies. Where you have things like Naru breaking off Feral's mandible and jamming it into his head, or her running up a tree and flipping over Feral. It all feels of a piece for the franchise.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It certainly has moments, but it is far more restrained outside the Fur Trappers, which the Predator franchise needs to be tonally on par with Alien. If AVP ever has a hope of working on film.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 12, 2022, 10:20:04 PMIt certainly has moments, but it is far more restrained outside the Fur Trappers, which the Predator franchise needs to be tonally on par with Alien. If AVP ever has a hope of working on film.

I know that this gets called a lazy way to do AvP, but I maintain it's probably the best shot at getting a decent film out of the concept. Just drop a Predator or Predators into an Alien movie, the same way as the best Predator movies are various genre pieces where a Pred shows up and derails them.

SiL

SiL

Predator doesn't  need to match anything.

Besides, Aliens already created the bridge as an 80s actioner.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Anything that has tried to emulate Aliens never "gets it" Alien has a better track record. The time for correctly emulating eighties nostalgia has came and went, (And will never be better than Blood Dragon) I think general audiences are sick to the teeth with franchise fatigue , so any reinvention needs to hold up to modern sensibilities.

Prez

Prez

One thing I will say that whilst I thoroughly loved this film I want to see a film where for once the Predator actually wins.

SiL

SiL

I really don't get the appeal.

I wouldn't mind it. But so many people seem to be desperate for it (not you; in general).

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: SiL on Sep 13, 2022, 05:15:14 AMI really don't get the appeal.

I wouldn't mind it. But so many people seem to be desperate for it (not you; in general).
The dumb and more common reason for it is that when they heard about Naru being a female protag, people wanted the Pred to get her so badly, the hate is blinding for the lead. Never seen this opinion rise so quickly until this film became in the mainstream and you see every snowflake anti-sjw reactionary start to spread this thought because "da WOKneSS Womanz"

Secondary less common but a bit more thoughtful reason is that it enforces how deadly and mostly the Predator has all the advantages over us. It's supposed to be this deadly advanced master hunter race that get's bested every time and it's presence will lessen every time it appears on screen. Kind of like how Terminators were feared antagonists for the first set of films but then it flanderized of try hard to be human T-800s and antagonistic Terminators becoming Throwminators the moment they get the lead in their metallic hands.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Sep 13, 2022, 06:42:22 AM
Quote from: SiL on Sep 13, 2022, 05:15:14 AMI really don't get the appeal.

The dumb and more common reason for it is that when they heard about Naru being a female protag, people wanted the Pred to get her so badly, the hate is blinding for the lead. Never seen this opinion rise so quickly until this film became in the mainstream and you see every snowflake anti-sjw reactionary start to spread this thought because "da WOKneSS Womanz"

Secondary less common but a bit more thoughtful reason is that it enforces how deadly and mostly the Predator has all the advantages over us. It's supposed to be this deadly advanced master hunter race that get's bested every time and it's presence will lessen every time it appears on screen. Kind of like how Terminators were feared antagonists for the first set of films but then it flanderized of try hard to be human T-800s and antagonistic Terminators becoming Throwminators the moment they get the lead in their metallic hands.

Definitely the first reasoning was not my own.

Mine was more around the second reason you mentioned. How many times can the Predators keep losing out to humans? Does this make Earth a more desirable hunting ground though as they provide the hunters with a greater, more formidable opponent?

I'm sure they could do it in a very creative way too and I get it that rarely does the protagonist not prevail in this genre.

SiL

SiL

Predators win all movie and lose only at The end. I just don't understand the idea that them barely losing at the end shows them as less of a threat when they single-handedly  slaughter dozens of people there rest of the runtime.

It's not like they get taken out like chumps en masse. It's an effort.

If the Concrete Jungle comic got made as a movie, I'd understand the problem.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Simple enough answer. All the times a Pred shows up, murders everything and leaves, there were no survivors to "tell the story" and we don't see those encounters.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: SiL on Sep 13, 2022, 07:49:25 AMPredators win all movie and lose only at The end. I just don't understand the idea that them barely losing at the end shows them as less of a threat when they single-handedly  slaughter dozens of people there rest of the runtime.

It's not like they get taken out like chumps en masse. It's an effort.

If the Concrete Jungle comic got made as a movie, I'd understand the problem.

Not less of a threat but rather the fact is in each film they've ultimately failed to take down their main target. I'd like to see how a film could effectively explore a Predator ending victorious. That said what is a victory for the Predators?

SiL

SiL

I still don't see what the actual problem is.

Like, I imagine Anytime killing Dutch would look rather similar to him killing anyone else, Y'know?

I'ma raging Alien fanboy but the idea of one winning a film is honestly kind of off putting.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed