10 (5.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
7 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 152,181 times)

Pu$$yFace

Pu$$yFace

Feral also doesn't actively consider her worthy prey, he clearly takes out other predators, before she even appears on his radar as worthy of a kill.  Pretty accurate to the characters code of ethics established in the first two movies.  People are picking nits with this movie.  I wonder if it's because it's being so glowingly reviewed, that they feel threatened over the nostalgia for the first two films, but otherwise I don't see how this isn't an absolute win for our fandom, especially after the previous two installments

426Buddy

426Buddy

People definitely come up with some weird takes.

Pu$$yFace

Pu$$yFace

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 12, 2022, 06:11:17 PMPeople definitely come up with some weird takes.
Yet oddly don't keep the same level of heightened criticisms of other films they defend.  Keep the same pessimistic and negative energy.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Aug 12, 2022, 05:55:30 PMI saw a lot of blood on her face after she was punched by the Comanche guys trying to find her before the Predator wiped them out. She seemed like she was working through the pain when she had been hit by the bear trap. To quote how you worded it " I don't know how people don't see it."

She bit the guy she was fighting, that wasn't her blood. And I do acknowledge her greatest foe...  The bear trap. 

QuoteThe Predator letting her go is no different the City Hunter not wiping out Harrigan on the roof. He's observing, he's toying, he's hunting.

Harrigan turned around cause he felt something and unlike this Pred the city hunter values stealth and while he was out in the open he decided to stand still and disappear into the background.

Look,  I'll give one but there's two in this film.

Quote from: Pu$$yFace on Aug 12, 2022, 06:11:02 PMFeral also doesn't actively consider her worthy prey, he clearly takes out other predators, before she even appears on his radar as worthy of a kill.  Pretty accurate to the characters code of ethics established in the first two movies.  People are picking nits with this movie.  I wonder if it's because it's being so glowingly reviewed, that they feel threatened over the nostalgia for the first two films, but otherwise I don't see how this isn't an absolute win for our fandom, especially after the previous two installments

If she's not worthy prey while does he continue to follow her and even chase after her?

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Pu$$yFace on Aug 12, 2022, 06:15:25 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 12, 2022, 06:11:17 PMPeople definitely come up with some weird takes.
Yet oddly don't keep the same level of heightened criticisms of other films they defend.  Keep the same pessimistic and negative energy.

People are critical because the movie just came out.  You should have seen this place when The Predator came out.  I'm sure The Predator fans can attest to the atmosphere LOL.  Reviews of all the movies run the gamut on this site.  People have some strong positive feelings for P2 that I don't quite understand.

But regardless, I AM glad that there is renewed interest in the Predator universe after this movie.  I think that is a win in the long-run.  I don't agree with all of the negative reviews in this thread.  But IMO, pretending like the movie doesn't have problems and to NOT discuss its shortcomings...I don't think that's the way either.

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Aug 12, 2022, 06:24:52 PMShe bit the guy she was fighting, that wasn't her blood. And I do acknowledge her greatest foe...  The bear trap. 

Or that she took a huge punch to the face right around then too? Like, does that not have any factor in counting here? That punch clearly puts her on her ass.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Aug 12, 2022, 06:32:40 PM
Quote from: DaddyYautja on Aug 12, 2022, 06:24:52 PMShe bit the guy she was fighting, that wasn't her blood. And I do acknowledge her greatest foe...  The bear trap. 

Or that she took a huge punch to the face right around then too? Like, does that not have any factor in counting here? That punch clearly puts her on her ass.

You mean the sucker punch she got after some one else got involved? because she clearly couldn't be beat in one-to-one combat? I guess, but it's not clear cause she did bite into that guy and made him bleed.

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Aug 12, 2022, 06:50:08 PM
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Aug 12, 2022, 06:32:40 PM

You mean the sucker punch she got after some one else got involved? because she clearly couldn't be beat in one-to-one combat? I guess, but it's not clear cause she did bite into that guy and made him bleed.

Yeah, it was a sucker punch. But she still holds her own against a comanche warrior before another steps in for the cheap shot. Those warriors give Feral a bit of a run for a few minutes, and later Taabe really kicks him in the balls. That establishes, to me, how tough those guys are. And if she's able to hold her own against them, she's able to fight. So when she takes out the trappers later, it was no surprise to me that she could move like that, and later with the Predator. It's clearly established that she's a tough cookie, with a lot of fight in her, but also we see her knocked out and beat down often in the movie.

She gets roughed up, and yeah, bloody in the mouth because of the bite. But you see her get hit pretty hard during that fight. It's not just the sucker punch that leaves her dirty. To say she's never scratched is really interesting to me.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: Pu$$yFace on Aug 12, 2022, 05:33:07 PM
Quote from: PredBabe on Aug 12, 2022, 04:58:19 PMFor me, as a woman, it's nice to have that first pred movie feature a strong female character (with a very talented actress no less). I thought Midthunder did great with what she was given. Naru is clearly eager to learn and very smart and capable. I liked the mud trap she sets up by the end to take Feral out... BUT the way they went about developing other aspects of the story is what ruined it for me.
The coming-of-age story, while not my first pick for a female lead Predator movie, was cheapened with the many throwaway bully male characters and then a predator creature that operates solely on "brute force" rather than the methodical and devious creature that we know it to be from previous films. It's kind of a slap to the face to think that we can't have other (male) characters more fleshed out or even a more competent Predator for such a smart female to go up against. I just think there was a lot more room for improvement.

You don't need to dumb down the surrounding characters for the audience to root for Naru. They didn't do this to Dutch. It wasn't necessary for Ripley. It wasn't necessary for Sarah Connor. It wasn't necessary for Furiosa. 

It's not the first.  Alice Broga was border line co lead in Predators.  And quite frankly she was the most likable person in the cast, also the most honorable character. She should've been the protagonist, period instead of cringe ass unlikable Adrien Brody.

Feral still stalks his prey like a traditional Predator.  The movie is an hour and a half long, and given the lack of automatic projectile weapons or militaries, or gangs, he didn't need to be as "devious" or cunning.  Or stalk for plot purposes building tension for endless amounts of time.

It was a simple, efficient, quick and straightforward plot.  No need to dick around.

I think it's deliberate being a more savage take on the character not AS reliant upon technology that he prefers a more beastly and animalistic physical confrontation.  And for the most part of the film he is killing animals until he gets to the Comanches and French fur trappers.

And at no point were the characters around her dumbed down.  They had a justifiably archaic and tribalistic view of how and what women should mean or do in their community.  And it seemed more than believable.

And more competent Predator?  It is shown deliberately that her brother is by far the best and most experienced natural hunter or warrior in the tribe, and Feral lays waste to him.

Some absolutely gross exaggerations going on here  :laugh:

I meant as a leading female role... otherwise we could sit here all day and discuss Isabelle, Casey, Anna or Leona for that matter. 

You may not feel it's necessary for the Predator to stalk and observe its prey, but I think it brings a different feel to the creature. Especially if this is truly their first time on Earth, as the movie suggests, and especially if Feral is taking on opponents head-on.

In regards to other characters, again I think a lot more could have been established than what was presented, especially with the Frenchmen. Taabe and Naru were the only strong characters and while I get that characters are ultimately going to get killed off, there was room for more conversations outside of belittling the main character.   

Quote from: Wysps on Aug 12, 2022, 06:28:20 PM
Quote from: Pu$$yFace on Aug 12, 2022, 06:15:25 PM

People are critical because the movie just came out.  You should have seen this place when The Predator came out.  I'm sure The Predator fans can attest to the atmosphere LOL.  Reviews of all the movies run the gamut on this site.  People have some strong positive feelings for P2 that I don't quite understand.

But regardless, I AM glad that there is renewed interest in the Predator universe after this movie.  I think that is a win in the long-run.  I don't agree with all of the negative reviews in this thread.  But IMO, pretending like the movie doesn't have problems and to NOT discuss its shortcomings...I don't think that's the way either.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I'm glad that it's bringing attention to the series- even if there is a bit of a split within the fandom. I can appreciate the movie for attracting newcomers- I know my man really enjoyed it as it seems to have sparked his interest. But can't help but have my reserves for it...

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The other Comanche hunters were a bit thinly written, basically asshole jocks from an 80s teen movie. But they're barely in it, so it doesn't really hurt the film all that much for me. I think the French trappers worked just fine for what the movie was doing.

Kradan

Kradan

While I don't really like how they handled flintlock sub-plot, I liked the character of Raphael Adolini. He was kinda pathetic but not in an annoying way, you feel bad that he got tangled up in all that mess. He also was probably the only character other than Taabe who was somewhat nice to Naru which helped make him more likable

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Just watched this again with a bunch of friends and it just reinforces how I feel.

Absolutely f**king love this film now in my top four.

Love the score this time and the exposed mandibles are so clever in terms of a way of giving Feral more personality.

Spoiler
New Ranking:
Alien
Alien³
Predator
Prey
Aliens
Predator 2

Predators

Alien Resurrection
Alien Covenant/Prometheus
[close]

Kradan

Kradan

I'm gonna chalk that putting Resurrection above Prometheus/Covenant up to [cancerblack]'s bad influence

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

You mean good influence then.  :P

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Aug 12, 2022, 09:33:08 PMYou mean good influence then.  :P

But what if my argument wasn't that the prequels are bad, but that Rez is good?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed