Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.5%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 439

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 320,707 times)

Vecrotus

Vecrotus

I don't see why the Engineer would need a gun from his point of view. After all, in his mind, he was only going after a single human.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Plus.. judging from how the bullets bounced from his body.. he's fairly confident in his ability to kill Shaw without much of a fuss. ..but then a Trilobite happened.  :laugh:

AcidForBlood

AcidForBlood

I don't remember even seeing the Engineers having weapons... I personally think that they use biological weapons.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: BLAIN on Jun 16, 2012, 04:25:12 PM
Honestly, with the amount of nitpicking the bandwagon haters are doing, I think people would have complained about the random appearance of a gun.  :-\

People havent been nitpicking, people have been pointing out at the strange writing, the strange handling of some character, and huge plot gaps. That's not nitpicking. I mentioned examples of nitpicking and most people have not done this. People have pointing out some silly stuff that is nitpicking but those havent been huge points of discussion, those have just been used to grade the other big stuff.

Max Powers

Max Powers

Red Letter Media asks the serious questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0#ws

BANE

BANE

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 16, 2012, 09:54:11 PM
Honestly, with the amount of nitpicking the bandwagon haters are doing, I think people would have complained about the random appearance of a gun.  :-\

People havent been nitpicking, people have been pointing out at the strange writing, the strange handling of some character, and huge plot gaps. That's not nitpicking. I mentioned examples of nitpicking and most people have not done this. People have pointing out some silly stuff that is nitpicking but those havent been huge points of discussion, those have just been used to grade the other big stuff.
People were making points like 'David's head didn't move during the crash. Stupid movie'. I mean, the amount of shit like that I've heard on youtube, RottenTomatoes and everywhere is ridiculous.

Trust me, this site is mild compared to those other places. Which is why I would rather deal with the shit here than the Indian spicy diarrhea out there.  :D

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: BLAIN on Jun 16, 2012, 11:47:09 PM
Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 16, 2012, 09:54:11 PM

People were making points like 'David's head didn't move during the crash. Stupid movie'. I mean, the amount of shit like that I've heard on youtube, RottenTomatoes and everywhere is ridiculous.

Trust me, this site is mild compared to those other places. Which is why I would rather deal with the shit here than the Indian spicy diarrhea out there.  :D

I was just talking about this site. And David's head didn't move? Were people paying that much attention to the placement of the head?

BANE

BANE

Trust me, once the supposed 'plot holes' that weren't actually plot holes started coming forth, and people started bashing the film, the bandwagon got full and every little thing started coming up to back up their unfounded hatred.

I mean, I can understand hating the film for a legitimate reason. But a lot of people don't have them. As I've said, this is one of the better sites (if you can believe it...)

mastermoon

mastermoon

Look at this way for how high the scores get among reviews.

AVPR 12%
Predators 64%
Prometheus 74%

Atleast both Predators and Prometheus got lots of good reviews while AVPR got largely negative reviews from critics and fans alike.

AcidForBlood

AcidForBlood

It wouldn't have been good if AVPR was anywhere near Predators. And honestly I enjoyed Prometheus for what it was. It's a good movie, but it's not great. There are some obvious 'That could have been done better' moments but it was still good.

EGM1966

EGM1966

I liked it despite the flaws, mainly due to the general feeling that there was "something" there behind the confusion, loving David's characterization and finding Shaw, Vickers and Janek had just enough depth of character to sustain a connection.  visually it's the best film I've seen in a while and for sure I felt I was watching the best 3D coupled with the best effects I can remember in a long time - in particular the focus on practical effects really reminded me that even now CGI does not deliver the depth of reality next to practical sets/effects combined with nicely handled CGI assists.

But clearly the film has problems.  Some nitpicky and some bigger.  For me the main things I felt caused trouble at the larger end of things was:

too much plot for that runtime impacting pacing and focus, particularly from about the half way point forward
too many people on that damn ship versus time to handle them properly (Aliens actually did this better ironically enough)
two films wedged together - a SF encounter with walking/talking aliens using tech and a SF alien monster movie
inconsistent characterization, some lazy plotting and variable dialogue plus some wasted characters
too many questions and too few relative to Prometheus within it's own scope left unanswered to be satisfying

So it was better than I was expecting but not as good as I hoped although the visuals did excel and the 3D left other 3D films with the exception of Hugo and Avatar in the dust.

ripley161

ripley161

I think personally that time will tell just how I feel about the movie after repeated watching. I really do love it at the moment though. I love most things about it and to be honest I don't believe there is a 100% flaw free movie . Sometimes I think we dig a bit too deep and pick at things too much.  If a sequel is made I am sure some questions will be answered and besides I do like some mystery behind the movie. At the end of the day Prometheus totally took my mind away from the stress of life for a couple of hours. I do what I always do with any movie...... If I like it I watch it again and if I dont like it I obviously don't see it again . Moaning about it isn't going to change anything. Prometheus is what it is , and I am actually still happy , and look forward to the blu-ray release. I am enjoying the soundtrack at the moment to bridge the gap . I do hope to see a sequel though I really want to see more of this Engineer Universe . I have loved the Alien franchise my whole life and love this fresh new twist . I admit that when I heard the Jockey from Alien was a man in a suit I was shocked as I always expected a creature. However what a fantastic suit design it  is in Prometheus and I am very happy. Theses questions about why it looks smaller to the jockey in Alien ? Well let's look at why the eggs , Aliens, chest busters, cryotubes etc look different in each Alien movie shall we ! I like each movie for what it is , and they all have a slightly different take on the Alien Universe with slightly different design ideas !

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Back from a 3rd 3D screening. Still loving it and finding that somethings I thought were plot holes make a bit of more sense...more soon....oh and the 3D was NOTHING spectacular, it added ZERO to the experience. There was no need.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: BLAIN on Jun 17, 2012, 12:29:54 AM
Trust me, once the supposed 'plot holes' that weren't actually plot holes started coming forth, and people started bashing the film, the bandwagon got full and every little thing started coming up to back up their unfounded hatred.

I mean, I can understand hating the film for a legitimate reason. But a lot of people don't have them. As I've said, this is one of the better sites (if you can believe it...)

I think those people were just too wrapped up in the idea that this was going to be a full-on Alien prequel. When they found out it wasn't, their worlds came tumbling down around them.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: BLAIN on Jun 17, 2012, 12:29:54 AMI mean, I can understand hating the film for a legitimate reason. But a lot of people don't have them. As I've said, this is one of the better sites (if you can believe it...)

Man, I wish I did hate the film... at least then I would feel something.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed