"Entry of the Gods Into Valhalla" meaning?

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Nov 01, 2016, 05:43:01 PM

Author
"Entry of the Gods Into Valhalla" meaning? (Read 21,278 times)

Ingwar

Our Aliens of course, from the franchise.

By the way, how do you define word 'ancient'? Is it 1000 years old? 10000 years? 1 million years? It depends on one's perspective. Universe is quite .... old.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Ingwar on Nov 07, 2016, 03:46:52 PM

By the way, how do you define word 'ancient'? Is it 1000 years old? 10000 years? 1 million years? It depends on one's perspective. Universe is quite .... old.

Yes! It depends on perspective...so, from the perspective of the universe, we can not know if Engineers (or Xenomorphs) are ancient, because as you say the universe is old (I think between 13,610 and 13,850 million years). So, maybe they are new. But we can't be sure of that...

But on the ohter hand, from the perspective of the human race, Engineers are ancient (even prehistoric, as they created life on Earth).

In addition, they visited our ancient civilizations:

Ancient Age is the historical period that coincides with the emergence and development of early civilizations or ancient civilizations. Traditionally, it has been considered the invention of writing as the starting point of ancient history.

So yeah, Engineers are ancient from the human perspective.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Nov 07, 2016, 04:19:49 PM

Cannot disagree about that. Terminology, in this case word 'ancient', can be very relative and leads to misunderstandings.

Engineers might have created life on other planets as well. Planets older than Earth.

Final question remains: who created Engineers? :)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Ingwar on Nov 07, 2016, 05:15:08 PM
Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Nov 07, 2016, 04:19:49 PM

Cannot disagree about that. Terminology, in this case word 'ancient', can be very relative and leads to misunderstandings.

Engineers might have created life on other planets as well. Planets older than Earth.

I don't remember very well in which part, but Ridley Scott said that "God created them" in the documentary "The Furious Gods: Making Prometheus". Besides, Ridley Scott described the Engineers as "tall, elegant dark angels."

Corporal Hicks

That's the thing, isn't it? I'm sure many of us are hoping it's the "real" Space Jockeys. I do think Scott has something in mind about this because he's spoke a few times about who made the Engineers.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Ingwar on Nov 07, 2016, 03:46:52 PM

That's a good question.

I always personally define "ancient" as 1,000 or over years old, and "primordial" at over 10,000 years old. So to me, Predators, Xenomorphs, Engineers etc would be seen as primordial beasts.

But in the eyes of the universe, they probably only existed for a minute while humanity are just a short nano-second blip at the moment.

Enoch

Enoch

Xeno is not a beast... ;)
Xeno is perfect organism... pure as angel :D

Ash: I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
Ash: You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? Perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.

Ripley: How do we kill it, Ash? There's gotta be a way of killing it. How? How do we do it?
Ash: You can't.

Ash is right... Alien is not the beast, maybe humans are all turning into aliens... and how to stop that?
Ripley has become a survivor... she is changed.

Murals in Engineers pyramids suggest Xenos are primordial, existing  from the beginning of time :)
First xeno came from one egg, thats what I understood from mural symbolism. Who created the egg?
God... ok, some force,  but whats the causality, why did GOD entity created Xeno?

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Enoch on Nov 08, 2016, 05:14:26 PM

Ash: I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
Ash: You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? Perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.

Ripley: How do we kill it, Ash? There's gotta be a way of killing it. How? How do we do it?
Ash: You can't.

Ash is right... Alien is not the beast, maybe humans are all turning into aliens... and how to stop that?
Ripley has become a survivor... she is changed.

Murals in Engineers pyramids suggest Xenos are primordial, existing  from the beginning of time :)
First xeno came from one egg, thats what I understood from mural symbolism. Who created the egg?
God... ok, some force,  but whats the causality, why did GOD entity created Xeno?

True.  :laugh:

Your last paragraph... it reminds me of that famous chicken or egg question. XD

"Who came first? The Alien or the Egg?"  :laugh:

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 08, 2016, 08:42:34 AM

That's the thing, isn't it? I'm sure many of us are hoping it's the "real" Space Jockeys.

I do hope!

Quote from: Enoch on Nov 08, 2016, 05:14:26 PM

Nothing is perfect. It is: 1. Just Ash's opinion figured out on the spot, or 2. Information given by Corporation before Nostromo mission which leads to a question: was it intentional idea in the script or just a minor (at that time) mistake or if you prefer a plot hole.

Enoch

Enoch

Interesting find regarding engineers and cave painting... just for thinking :)

QuoteAt the beginning of Prometheus, archaeologists Elizabeth Shaw and Charlie Holloway have discovered a pictogram of a very tall man pointing to a series of stars. The two archaeologists are clearly very excited and believe the man depicted is an extra-terrestrial and that the image is intended as an invitation to the humans to come and find them.After watching the whole movie, I doubted that premise. Was the star map really an invitation? If so, what was the point of it if the engineers wanted to destroy Earth? Why did they invite the humans to come visit, if they wanted to destroy us?

Logical question!

QuoteSorry, I don't have the link, but I read an interview with Ridley Scott where he states clearly that no where in the film does it actually say the tall figures in the drawings are engineers. He neither confirms or denies who they might be.

There is also a key moment where David is talking to one of the crew members, that the planet they are landing on "might be" the home of the engineers. David responds by saying something like "assuming your thesis is correct". David makes it very clear that the star they are traveling to is based upon a thesis that isn't proven.

Ridley Scott explains that the solar system they visit has several possible planets and that the crew picked that one moon cause it seemed logical. Ridley also explained that the drawings could have been interpreted as a warning rather then an invitation. I think he wanted the drawing to be thought provoking rather then clearly defined.

Who are the tall figures then??? :)

So, logical assumption would be  that there are multiple players involved
in the whole story...! We can almost be certain about this one.

oduodu

oduodu

Shaw says they  should leave at one point . That could mean that the cave paintings could have been warnings all along . The engineer / sj / entity that point at the star system could have been a very deliberate warning to stay away from there.

Enoch

This is strange...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4_pnGj9wm4

18:00-

QuoteIt didnt chrashed, it parked...
Ridley speaking about Derilict in original Alien.

The Alien Predator

They must love to park GTA style.  :laugh:

Enoch

Enoch

;D ;D

But you must admit, what Ridley said in that interview is pretty strange...
Parked, not crashed, so it was a deliberate act... but why "land" on desolate planet
with a ship full of dangerous organisms... and we all saw that drivers ribs were broken from
inside out, so he was infected/impregnated with Xeno embryo too. Only plausible reason could be that planet was
inhabited millions of years ago, and it was an attack, a bio-weapon kamikaze attack! :)

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

It could be that.

Or maybe he parked because he was infected, hence why he chose a barren world instead of LV-223. Maybe he got infected from there and quickly evaluated himself to this one to avoid infecting the other Engineers.

Or what if he was escaping from whatever disaster happened on LV-223? And he got into this derelict which had the eggs in there. And as he flew away, maybe a flaw in the system caused one egg to hatch and a Facehugger got him in his desperate attempt to escape. So he flew to LV-223 but had no time to save himself medically as the Chestburster killed him shortly after he lands.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed