Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer Now Online!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 25, 2016, 05:06:30 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer Now Online! (Read 131,922 times)

Enoch

Recycling, recycling

Lexxdog

Lexxdog

I have had time 2 think about the trailer and I have 2 say not 2 happy I was soo looking forward 2 this move but I feel like Sir "RS"  is just been pigheaded  and just changing thing becouse he wants to and he's  spoiled and it his move so he can do what he wants 1st the space jockeys are not 8 feet tall humans and the dirilact is thousands off years old ( it the shower seen why?? I'm guessing that it take place about half way through move so some off your crew m8 have been infected with some wired alien shit and you been 2 a strang planet with no bio hazard suit on but any you deside 2 take a shower know there some weird alien shit running around d your ship "smart "

HuDaFuK

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Dec 25, 2016, 05:07:22 PMThe magic is gone. That's the most concise way to put it. I can wait for this on video and not miss anything.

Pretty bold claim considering you've seen all of 2 minutes of the film in clip format with no context whatsoever.

szkoki

szkoki

If they only would have ditch the first scene in the trailer and start off with David and they would end the trailer with the scream. That would have been nice.

Plus dont show who gets facehugged just show the egg. Thats it.

fiveways

Quote from: Valaquen on Dec 25, 2016, 05:46:07 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Dec 25, 2016, 05:07:58 PM
Quote from: fiveways on Dec 25, 2016, 04:33:07 PM
Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Dec 25, 2016, 02:57:43 PM
ALIEN explicitly made use of horror tropes; it's all about execution. We'll have to wait and see.

ALIEN did it before those tropes were as really established, and with a sense of mystery and style that you just can't pull off in 2016.  Pre-1980 horror films establish the tropes, 1980 (the year slasher films exploded on the film world) solidifies them and the rest of the 80's was spent building on those tropes to the point of cliche. 
I consider myself quite an aficionado of horror films... everything from expressionist German horror to Classic Universal and Hammer Studios films... to the classic horror movies of the 60's and 70's. And in my opinion, Alien/Ridley Scott DID make use of existing thriller/horror tropes. These did NOT start with Alien.

Yeah, Alien was dragged through the critical grinder for using many old tropes (splitting up search parties, cat scares, etc) that were instantly recognisable (and quite old hat) to audiences in the 70's. Since Alien became the benchmark, younger fans just don't have the same perspective and don't recognise that much of the film was repurposed from older material.

No, they were to critics and film fans/buffs, not to general audience members who might see a few films a year.  To the general viewing audiences those tropes still had some life left in them.  Again, it goes back to home video.  Everything changes when you go from being able to see what is at the theatre or what happens to be playing on TV that evening (and outside major metropolitan areas, this means you might get 3-5 TV channels and maybe a theatre, my home town of 60k in the 80's had 2 single screen and one double screen theatre till 1985 plus 2 drive-in seasonally, rarely did anything horror make it there in the 80's) to being able to rent at any time from a selection of thousands of movies.  As the general populations watches more their viewing IQ goes up, as does their expectations.  When you get to my generation, who rented movies by the truckload (I watched/rented maybe 5-10 movies a week as a child), you end up with a far more educated audience every quickly.

I won't say Alien didn't use tropes, just I excuse them a lot more because of the time period and because I think it brought some important ones to the table.

TheBATMAN

It certainly hasn't blown me away to be honest. Whilst it isn't bad, it just feels to far disconnected to what the original Alien presented. I know we've only seen a glimpse, but it doesn't even feel like the same universe.

Instead of prequels, I wish now Prometheus had actually been a post-resurrection sequel exploring the Engineers.

acrediblesource

I was thinking about that the effect of seeing the engineer in a state of fossilization made the engineers begging to be discovered.
That's far more dramatic than actually seeing the society of engineers dance about.
If they are all dead, we should just see remains of them. MY guess is that the trailer shown us the first act and not the second. The second by which we meet David. etc.etc.

paradiselost

Long time lurker, 1st post:

My take on trailer: Just like everything else there will be thumbs up, and there will be thumbs down - no matter what. I personally liked it, but only after watching couple of times. Two main points:

1. This is just the 1st trailer - 1st part/hour of the movie.  Arrival, landing, spores and finally lander blowing forcing them to "step out".
2. Real Prometheus/Alien story is in the 2nd part for which there will be 2nd trailer.  Entering Citadel, finding David and his "chamber of horrors".  One of them is the alien egg, experiment for which David needed and finally found test rabbit. 

I also expect David to show them what happened with Engineers (remember stills of Engineer / Alien  massacre?) and how things got out of hand on Paradise.  What happens afterwards will be the 'real' meat of the movie.  I am very curious about Shaw story.  Has David put her in hibernation, or is she another of his experiments?  There might be some real foreshadowing here.  Noomi Rapace is not even on main screen actor list, yet she reportedly spent several weeks filming in Sydney.   I don't believe she will turn out to be alien queen, but I wouldn't be surprised if she is the only survivor from Covenant movie - and not Daniels, as most expect.  Along with Walter probably.

Another speculation -- Alien 5 has been delayed because it would spoil Covenant in some degree.  Reportedly script has "the most satisfying end to Alien saga".  Can it be that Ripley, Hicks and Nute end up on Paradise, where everything started by David' experiments with black goo.  So this is where Ripley will somehow find way to finally finish it for good.

Prometheops

Really enjoyed the trailer, it's clear that they choosed to keep most of the movie a secret.
For those that complained about the spores, you should read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_unilateralis

Obviously Scott looked for something which exist on earth, much like some of the design of the deacon was based on the goblin shark.

Hemi

Dunno...  For me it kinda made sense.  Specialy after Prometheus.  Tad more body horror,  which is great.  The whole spore thing I prepared for.  It's different kind of alien. Maybe not the alien we hoped for,  but it's an alternative I can live with.  It feels dirty and vile,  like an alien movie should feel.  I just hope we don't get the stupid dialogue and story inconsistencies that Prometheus had.  Maybe it will even change my mind on Prometheus, and create some sort of bridge between the two. I like Prometheus style and it looks like this new one will build upon that and make it more dirty.  Not a bad trailer tbh. Even the ending part was not the typical shower scene imo.

Burn the Floor

Burn the Floor

I'm feeling a lot of denial in people defending this trailer. Like it or not, that's your right. But don't try to justify poor production choices, okay?

PS: I'm not complaining about the use of spores. Just the overbaked CG portraying them.

Space7Horror

The trailer gave away too much, it should have been eerie and built up the mystery rather than show us all the death and destruction.

Burn the Floor

Burn the Floor

Quote from: Space7Horror on Dec 25, 2016, 07:24:18 PM
The trailer gave away too much, it should have been eerie and built up the mystery rather than show us all the death and destruction.

Oh, but otherwise how could we tell that Ridley's making a "ZOMG R-RATED FILM!!1™" without blood and guts and nudity and a random "f**k" thrown in the dialogue?

Oh yeah, those were all things they did to compensate for AVP being PG-13!

Space7Horror

Quote from: Burn the Floor on Dec 25, 2016, 07:26:27 PM
Quote from: Space7Horror on Dec 25, 2016, 07:24:18 PM

Oh, but otherwise how could we tell that Ridley's making a "ZOMG R-RATED FILM!!1™" without blood and guts and nudity and a random "f**k" thrown in the dialogue?

Oh yeah, those were all things they did to compensate for AVP being PG-13!

He easily could have left some blood and gore in the trailer but the whole damn thing was explosions and death, Im excited for the movie but am sad that I will see these scenes coming and wont be surprised.

whiterabbit

The trailer did it's job. There's be ALIENS in this movie. I bitched about the lack of horror and scariness in Prometheus and Ridley just told me that he heard that moaning loud and clear. For me, I want terror and a decent set of tits. Second I want the vastness of Prometheus. The trailer and the unseen production photo leaks missing from the trailer tell me I'm getting all of it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed