Just Talk.

Started by Amaterasu, Aug 22, 2013, 02:02:12 AM

Author
Just Talk. (Read 618,370 times)

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: SiL on May 09, 2019, 05:02:14 AMAn argument of what?

That it's somehow bad to criticise a religion for their beliefs.
While it's ok to criticise others for the same beliefs.

Quote from: SiL on May 09, 2019, 05:02:14 AM
Again, this is not a persuasive argument of anything. Just repeating a line over and over is not an argument.

Why is Islam an evil cult but Christianity not?

There wasn't any mention of Christianity until you brought it up. So why the comparison? And why not involve other religions while you're at it?
And did I say christianity wasn't evil?

Anyway, I consider all religions a cult. I consider Christianity less evil since the main is guy isn't hateful or evil unlike the other main guy.

Quote from: SiL on May 09, 2019, 05:02:14 AMBut you are? You're saying it's OK to be bigoted against muslims because Islam has the same shitty beliefs every other major religion does.

So according to you, it's not ok to be intolerant against intolerant people or an intolerant belief system?

Quote from: SiL on May 09, 2019, 05:02:14 AM
If you were saying it was OK to lump all muslims together, yes. Same as I'd say a former Catholic condemning every Christian as a pedophile would be incredibly dumb.

Again, why the comparison with Catholics and Chrisitianity? I didn't mention those anywhere nor did I say I like or agree with that religion, or the actions of its members.

So ex-muslims says bad things about their former religion and all you can say is "What about that other religion?"
What about the arguments? Are they valid yes or no?

If multiple ex-muslims testify to the facts that there are serious things wrong with islam and its followers, why drag another religion into it?
That's deviating from the subject.
It's not like they, or those who share their opinion, agree with the wrongs of other religions. And in this case, it doesn't matter because we weren't talking about that other religion aren't we?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on May 09, 2019, 05:32:59 AM
That it's somehow bad to criticise a religion for their beliefs.
While it's ok to criticise others for the same beliefs.
Criticising an individual for their beliefs is not the same as criticising a group of people for beliefs that many of them don't even share.

QuoteAnyway, I consider all religions a cult.
Right, but they're not. "It's a cult because I think it's a cult" is not, once more, a persuasive argument.

QuoteI consider Christianity less evil since the main is guy isn't hateful or evil unlike the other main guy.
The "main guy" is literally the same entity in both religions.

QuoteSo according to you, it's not ok to be intolerant against intolerant people or an intolerant belief system?
No, according to me it's not OK to be intolerant of 1.2 billion people purely because of their religion. Not one of my muslim friends is homophobic, misogynistic, antagonistic towards other belief systems, tries to convert anyone else -- but you're saying it's perfectly fine to be intolerant of them simply because they're muslim. I'm saying that's a load of shit.

QuoteAgain, why the comparison with Catholics and Chrisitianity?
Because the kind of people who tar all muslims with the same brush fail to realise that there are as many different sects and subsections as with any other religion, some with more or less extreme views than others. So I'm using a sample people are more familiar with to illustrate a point.

QuoteSo ex-muslims says bad things about their former religion and all you can say is "What about that other religion?"
You asked if I'd tell an ex-muslim their argument was incredibly dumb if they used the same argument as you.

My response was yes.

I then gave another example, as is common in arguments, to illustrate a point. I did not deflect from the question, like you're trying to make it out to be.

QuoteAre they valid yes or no?
No, it's not valid to condemn 1.2 billion people simply on the grounds of the religion they follow.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Take this the Politic board. This isn't the place for it. Anyone tries to continue it here, it's getting deleted.

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

So... the weather in England is shit

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Always.  :-\ Better today than yesterday.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, and Ireland.

SiL

SiL

Weather here is lovely. Australian Autumn, it's like your guy's summer.

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Even compared to what usually passes for spring here, weather is quite shit in Germany too.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

NZ autumn here, mid 20's and a bit muggy.

SM

SM

A bit shite down here.

SiL

SiL

Hot shite or cold shite? It's like 16C here and will be up around 24 in the day tomorrow.

SM

SM

It's May - so cold shite.  No June/ July cold, but still shite.  New woman I sit next to at work moved down from the Sunshine Coast, saying she much prefers it a bit cooler.  We're all wondering if she's a bid mad...

SiL

SiL

You guys don't appreciate the cold like us northern folk do.

And I'm not even near Cairns. Ugh.

That said, we don't respect the cold like you do, so catch us outside getting frostbite and pneumonia.

SM

SM

I can appreciate the cold to an extent having spent a lot of time in Singapore over the last couple of decades and being constantly damp.  It's just the wind and rain...

Have to go to Canberra next week for a couple of days, which will be even colder.

Also it's Canberra...

SiL

SiL

Two years ago my fiancee and my brother did a road trip down to Melbourne and tried to stop in Canberra for lunch on the way back.

I say this based on 30 minutes in that city: f**k Canberra.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed