Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.5%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 439

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 320,438 times)

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Spoiler
I also didn't give a shit when Holloyway died, even though the tragic music told me to.
[close]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_sY2rjxq6M#

Cvalda

Cvalda

Someone needs to make a music video of Holloway lighting up to that song ;D

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

I agree.

szkoki

szkoki

Quote from: Ballzanya on Jun 08, 2012, 10:37:47 PM
Quote from: szkoki on Jun 08, 2012, 08:58:17 PM
just realized that so many stuff is missing from the movie that are in the trailers
Spoiler
Yeah, the line janek gives in one of the trailers, "why is that door open?" wasn't in it and that was kind of misleading. Made you think something nasty had broken through the door. In fact that would have been cooler. A variant of a xenomorph or a hammerpede or something could have attacked one of the two co-pilots as they and janek were about to crash the ship. Would have been much cooler than the "hands up!" sequence, which i didn't really much care for.
[close]
\

Spoiler
actually that line was in it but in a bit different ways he was asking why isNT that door open when they drive back holloway to the ship

but i was thinking about....when Shaw is crawling away from Engie or when Fifield says "its a starmap" and there is a few of them so i guess there are lot of deleted scenes
[close]

btw i thought...and that was strange, i didnt felt the same when we entered the pyramid and in the alien ship as i felt in Alien.....in Prometheus it wasnt so ....alien at all....so Prometheus could use that power to make itself a great, terrifying movie but it never happend

DeadW8

DeadW8

omg ppl im watching it for the second time im at the helmet at medlab scene and im loving it so far... i guess once u get rid of your preconceived notions and how ud visualizite it, the first half so far is awesome!... after all i said i think im gonna watch it a second time... this movie its kinda like shutter island... tho i hated shutter island. But what i seen until now is the closest i got to alien1 ever... what i said still remains, but!...
i apologize mr sir Ridley... And i think ill see it a second time in theatre... i owe u that SIR.
Now lets see how the "action" holds up compared to avp1, 2 and predators... but theres so much u dont pick up the first time like blade runner, and then u start to see all these connections and back stories between characters that they never show but are definitely implicit there... i just hope when the shit hits the fan the real shit doesnt hit the fan this second time... cause its way too hot in here for me tastes.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: DeadW8 on Jun 08, 2012, 11:56:20 PM
omg ppl im watching it for the second time im at the helmet at medlab scene and im loving it so far... i guess once u get rid of your preconceived notions and how ud visualizite it, the first half so far is awesome!... after all i said i think im gonna watch it a second time... this movie its kinda like shutter island... tho i hated shutter island. But what i seen until now is the closest i got to alien1 ever... what i said still remains, but!...
i apologize mr sir Ridley... And i think ill see it a second time in theatre... i owe u that SIR.
Now lets see how the "action" holds up compared to avp1, 2 and predators... but theres so much u dont pick up the first time like blade runner, and then u start to see all these connections and back stories between characters that they never show but are definitely implicit there... i just hope when the shit hits the fan the real shit doesnt hit the fan this second time... cause its way too hot in here for me tastes.
You have a very appropriate username.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Prime113 on Jun 08, 2012, 10:44:21 PM
Quote from: Alienseseses on Jun 08, 2012, 10:41:46 PM
Quote from: Ballzanya on Jun 08, 2012, 10:37:47 PM
Quote from: szkoki on Jun 08, 2012, 08:58:17 PM
just realized that so many stuff is missing from the movie that are in the trailers
Spoiler
Yeah, the line janek gives in one of the trailers, "why is that door open?" wasn't in it and that was kind of misleading. Made you think something nasty had broken through the door. In fact that would have been cooler. A variant of a xenomorph or a hammerpede or something could have attacked one of the two co-pilots as they and janek were about to crash the ship. Would have been much cooler than the "hands up!" sequence, which i didn't really much care for.
[close]
\
Spoiler
He says Why isn't that door open, at some point, doesn't he?
[close]

Yeah, he says it when they are driving back to ship after
Spoiler
Halloway gets infected
[close]

oh ok, they just dubbed it over at a different part for the trailer then. I could have sworn he said "why IS that door open?" in the trailer though.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Prime113 on Jun 08, 2012, 10:35:44 PM
Oh, yeah, another thing that you guys seemed to have a problem with, that I really didn't, was how "stupid" the people acted. Lets take
Spoiler
Milburn, for example. A lot of people thought it was retarded when he approached the snake. I really didn't. You have to remember, these guys are incredibly eccentric. And, with Milburn being a biologist, was overwhelmed at finding new life.
[close]
Spoiler
"Eccentric" doesn't mean "retarded". Any scientist, regardless of how "eccentric", would approach the situation with some level of caution, and considering the thing looks like a snake, any rational human being wouldn't go sticking their hand in its face, let alone a biologist.
[close]

My big issue with Prometheus' characters is that everything they do seems to happen because that's what their characters are supposed to do in this type of story, not because it actually seems like something the characters would do. We don't get enough set-up for anything they do to feel natural; they're acting because that's what their archetype has to do in this story.

Shit, even AvP got this right; Miller and Verheiden had the same dynamic as Milburn and Fifield, but at least Anderson had it come from the characters.

Gazz

Gazz

Prometheus is a bit mess of themes and plot points not helped by some poor editing choices (this should have been Terry Rawling's gig), but it's an admiral mess that attempts to open the Alien series up to a much bigger sci-fi canvas than it is used to. The series has been stuck in a formula of attempting to ape the action and pacing of James Cameron's Aliens for the last few instalments (since Alien Resurrection graced our screen at least) and any potential expansion of the universe has been merely hinted at rather than properly explored.

When making Alien, Ridley Scott and writer Dan O' Bannon originally intended for the universe to be much bigger but unfortunately the constrictive budget held him back from exploration beyond bare essential. This forced them to cut back, even bringing the unfinished fossilised Space Jockey set in to question (a battle Scott fortunatly won). Paul WS Anderson's Alien vs Predator may have shamelessly ripped off a few of these lost story elements (resulting in a begrudging story credit for Dan O'Bannon) but they were wasted on poor direction and a story more interested in WWF style alien on alien wrestling. With Prometheus Scott has finally managed to take the series to the places he wanted resulting in a film that, much like 2001, tackles the relationship between men and their makers amongst many other things (like who the Space Jockey was, why was he transporting those eggs and what they were originally intended for). And now the door has been left swinging in the wind, wide open for any kind of imaginative or ghastly sci-fi tale or landscape.

Where Prometheus fails is in it's single mindedness of it's main characters (not to mention the stupidity that some display in serving the plot). And though the film attempts to provide moments between the cannon fodder when it simply doesn't need them, it does well in providing the series most interesting character since Ripley bowed out in Alien 3. Micheal Fassbender's David is a revelation. One part Bishop, two parts Ash and a mystery throughout. A pleasure to watch. Unfortunately like many characters in the film, the editing betrays him and we're left with a couple of half developed sub-plots (like the relationship he has with Shaw). The film reeks of the feeling that much like Kingdom of Heaven, there's a great film bubbling under the surface somewhere.

It's because of this I feel like Prometheus ends as half a film with half developed relationships. Not only does it ask more questions than it answers (which isn't necessarily a bad thing when done properly... and it is mostly) it ends as if part one of an ongoing tale rather than a self contained narrative. I've also grew to feel that the parting shot felt like a poorly judged fan service despite recognising potential for the beastie given the execution. The big problem is that Scott and the writing staff had built the creature up to be the film's big bad, hinting at the kind of devastation it rained down on the race of Engineers 2000 years before but instead the creature is given just a scant few seconds to shine. Another halfway developed sub-plot waiting to be expanded in the inevitable sequel.

That said I loved pretty much every scene with the Engineers, I appreciated that the film didn't always pander down to explain each plot point (though that could have been used once in a while) and it was probably the most spectacular Imax experience I've ever had. It's flawed but pure sci-fi and demands a second viewing if only to make some sense out of the smaller details. Overall though it's a good solid sci-fi film in my opinion and I can safety say that I really do look forward to the places we can go in the universe. Now I can't remember the last time I felt that about a film related to the Alien series.

7.5/10

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Writing up my spoiler-filled review.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: SiL on Jun 09, 2012, 12:59:48 AM
Quote from: Prime113 on Jun 08, 2012, 10:35:44 PM
Oh, yeah, another thing that you guys seemed to have a problem with, that I really didn't, was how "stupid" the people acted. Lets take
Spoiler
Milburn, for example. A lot of people thought it was retarded when he approached the snake. I really didn't. You have to remember, these guys are incredibly eccentric. And, with Milburn being a biologist, was overwhelmed at finding new life.
[close]
Spoiler
"Eccentric" doesn't mean "retarded". Any scientist, regardless of how "eccentric", would approach the situation with some level of caution, and considering the thing looks like a snake, any rational human being wouldn't go sticking their hand in its face, let alone a biologist.
[close]

My big issue with Prometheus' characters is that everything they do seems to happen because that's what their characters are supposed to do in this type of story, not because it actually seems like something the characters would do. We don't get enough set-up for anything they do to feel natural; they're acting because that's what their archetype has to do in this story.

Shit, even AvP got this right; Miller and Verheiden had the same dynamic as Milburn and Fifield, but at least Anderson had it come from the characters.

Not to mention a geologist who can't find his way out of a structure made of rock.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

That i can forgive... it was dark as hell... there were barely any recognizable features in the tunnels... plus.. the map Fifield's puppies were making was only available to Janek aboard the ship. The coordinates Fifield gives are numbers produced by his suit.. but they sure as hell werent making any difference while on that labyrinth... because he didnt have the map.

Being a geologist doesnt give you magic navigational powers.  :P (But, of course.. he could've radio'd the ship! They got his maps! eh!)

But getting out of the tunnels wouldnt do them any good anyway... what with the f**king sandstorm outside :P

Rick Grimes

Rick Grimes

Cybercat

Cybercat

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jun 09, 2012, 01:25:23 AM
That i can forgive... it was dark as hell... there were barely any recognizable features in the tunnels... plus.. the map Fifield's puppies were making was only available to Janek aboard the ship. The coordinates Fifield gives are numbers produced by his suit.. but they sure as hell werent making any difference while on that labyrinth... because he didnt have the map.

Being a geologist doesnt give you magic navigational powers.  :P

And getting out of the tunnels wouldnt do them any good anyway... what with the f**king sandstorm outside :P

Milburn's reaction is the only thing that irks me in that scene.. eh.

Yeah, because they were supposed to escape outside to deadly a sandstorm where they would die.  I think I find some plotholes in some of this nitpicking.  >__>

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Yep. I do hope some of the cut scenes will "plug in" the plot holes and problems people have...

Biggest problem for me? (And impossible to plug in with any cut scenes etc.) Shaw and Vickers not running to the sides to escape the Juggernaut... dude? what the hell? eh. (Shaw does eventually fall once.. looks up and notices she can run to the sides... does this and escapes the first big tumble, vickers dies. but then she just freezes when the ship does it's final tumble. :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed