Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.3%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.4%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
69 (15.6%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
26 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 440

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 321,779 times)

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

When you can take a 9 page, 100 question article that explains each and every flaw it brings up in minute detail and call that 'blindly ripping something apart,' you really need to think about your word choice.

The only arguments that hold water are the ones where people simply wouldn't care, like some of the science things and David knowing everything, etc...  the rest is legit.  How is it not accurate?  Can put the film on right now and see almost every one of these things in the film, it's not a secret.

BANE

BANE

I'm not saying the article is blindly ripping something apart. It's quite...well researched, in its own way, and they certainly put a lot of effort in for it. A+ for effort.

What I'm calling blind is your dismissal of my rebuttals. Now, granted, I pretty much made retard noises in a display of ridicule and added a healthy dollop of sarcasm, but nonetheless the points are valid, and those three questions are simply dumb. As with numerous others on that page.

I mean seriously. The helmet one? It didn't help Millburn. Therefore, the tacked on 'it could have saved them' is idiotic. The glass one? metal barriers move out of the way. The drug one? Well, this one is never answered, so I guess it's valid. Unless, you know, people are willing to make a minor connection. And some aren't. Like this guy.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

I agree with you on most of those points, and that's what we'd call some classic fan whining, about incredibly nerdy things that the audience probably doesn't care about.

But I think those are a minority of the many issues addressed, and they just exaggerate the rest of the problems.

I want to love this film, I do.  I would give anything if it were a solid, Alien-level scarefest that actually lived up to its own marketing, but this article made me realize that it's actually worse than I've previously thought.

What's a fan to do?  That's just where the discussion leads me.  I don't go out of my way to piss on the film.  I really don't have to.  It pisses on itself and I just point it out, along with many others who have probably left by this point.

I'm just stubborn, and feel that if sub-par movies are not rightly criticized, we'll just get more of them.  I don't want another Prometheus, I want another Alien, and some people seem to think that's impossible.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Still seems pretty spot on though

BANE

BANE

Alright, well, a point by point destruction of that page no longer seems necessary. Thanks for saving me the time.  ;D

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Destruction!

Have at it, probably what I would do, at length, to the groans of the entire board. :laugh:

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: BANE on Oct 11, 2012, 09:06:04 PM
I mean seriously. The helmet one? It didn't help Millburn. Therefore, the tacked on 'it could have saved them' is idiotic. The glass one? metal barriers move out of the way. The drug one? Well, this one is never answered, so I guess it's valid. Unless, you know, people are willing to make a minor connection. And some aren't. Like this guy.

Yeah, the helmet didn't help Milburn (because it burned through his suit and not his helmet anyway, but nevermind). But the crew of Prometheus didn't know that. They're just walking into an alien space where their fellow crewmember is dead, helmets off like total morons. Also like total morons because they didnt monitor or record the feeds being broadcast by Milburn and Fifield before going out, because apparently abandoning your crew in an alien pyramid and not bothering to keep watch on them or even record and review their feeds is just standard procedure on the USCSS Dumbass.

And then you've got a couple minor quibbles about the glass and Shaw's painkillers, which to be fair are in the "only nerds would care" category.

Oh wow, BANE, you totally tore that 100 point list a new asshole.

Spoiler
Goddammit Rage, I shouldn't have to do this for you.
[close]

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

On the asshole scale, Cvalda, I'm up there in the Quarter-Pounder or Big-Mac range.

You're the Baconator of the assholes, the Wendy's Classic Triple with extra cheese.

I'm only good at short asshole bursts.

SiL

SiL

No, no, some of these really are just incredibly asinine.

For example I think David understood the word "casualties" just fine -- he seemed more perplexed as to why he'd even be asked.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: SiL on Oct 11, 2012, 10:02:56 PM
For example I think David understood the word "casualties" just fine -- he seemed more perplexed as to why he'd even be asked.
Why would a robot be perplexed about a perfectly reasonable question? Unless of course the process of forceably putting human bodies into years of suspended animation has a foolproof, 100% success rate in da future.

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 11, 2012, 09:54:25 PM
On the asshole scale, Cvalda, I'm up there in the Quarter-Pounder or Big-Mac range.

Bullllshit. You're no where near that level, bro. And I won't go around letting you pretend that you are, either.  :D

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Cvalda on Oct 11, 2012, 09:48:54 PM
Yeah, the helmet didn't help Milburn (because it burned through his suit and not his helmet anyway, but nevermind). But the crew of Prometheus didn't know that. They're just walking into an alien space where their fellow crewmember is dead, helmets off like total morons.
'That could have saved them'. <-- That's what I was commenting on. Because it couldn't.

Also like total morons because they didnt monitor or record the feeds being broadcast by Milburn and Fifield before going out, because apparently abandoning your crew in an alien pyramid and not bothering to keep watch on them or even record and review their feeds is just standard procedure on the USCSS Dumbass.
They were cut off anyway. Janek says something along the lines of 'Fifield's signal is coming through again' when he was outside waiting for them, mantis style, with his now re-connected and newly transmitting helmet cam.

QuoteAnd then you've got a couple minor quibbles about the glass and Shaw's painkillers, which to be fair are in the "only nerds would care" category.
Ok.

QuoteOh wow, BANE, you totally tore that 100 point list a new asshole.
Yes, I certainly did, and that certainly was what I was aiming for when I went after three ludicrous ones out of 100. To rip the whole list apart. That's precisely what I said I did.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Millburn has two 'ls.'

This has been my contribution to the latest circular argument.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Prime113 on Oct 11, 2012, 10:06:49 PM

Bullllshit. You're no where near that level, bro. And I won't go around letting you pretend that you are, either.  :D

Thanks, Prime.  Guess I need to try harder. :laugh:

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: RagingDragon on Oct 11, 2012, 10:14:54 PM
Quote from: Prime113 on Oct 11, 2012, 10:06:49 PM

Thanks, Prime.  Guess I need to try harder. :laugh:

I didn't mean that in the "try harder" sense, I mean that in the "Dude, we're bro's, and you're not an asshole at all" sense.  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed