Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 839,179 times)

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Prez on Apr 14, 2019, 10:48:04 AM
Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 14, 2019, 10:40:06 AM
Quote from: Prez on Apr 14, 2019, 10:30:15 AM
Hellboy 2019

LOVED IT!
Far from perfect but a wild, fun ride and for me, as a long time (obsessed) reader of Hellboy this was more in the vibe of the comic book (some scenes are straight out of the Mignola's artwork) - no slight on GDT or Perlman (and I love those films too) but this one hit all the right buttons for me.

This is a younger Hellboy and Harbour brings a different performance to that of Perlman but for me personally I actually enjoyed his take more.
I want more of these films but sadly I doubt it will happen given the poor reception.

Proof yet again that films are subjective ... and most critics opinions rarely line up with mine. That's the beauty of movies - make your own mind up.

I'm really starting to notice a trend with comic book movies.  If it isn't MCU it is suddenly open to mainstream criticism, we saw this with Venom, and after the Dark Phoenix trailer dropped a lot of people piled onto it, it was the same with Hellboy.  Now don't get me wrong, I love the MCU for the most part, but I can't help but notice the majority of mainstream critics, and Youtube personalities immediately gush all over any MCU property, stepping over similar criticisms that they have no problem expressing for movies outside of the shared universe.  Don't get me wrong, some movies are just bad, but it isn't a stretch to see that so many so called critics are very forgiving when it comes to Marvel and Star Wars.  Venom was okay, Aquaman was fun, Dark Phoenix looks so so, and truth be told the Hellboy trailers didn't catch my attention, but I'll still see it.  I'm not a conspiracy theorist, (at least I don't think I am) but I have noticed this trend in recent years.

I hear ya. Look for the most part most MCU films have been very good however for example Captain Marvel which was bang average at best ... yet critics raving about it. There does seem to be less genuine criticism of their films when warranted say compared to others.

I completely get the criticisms directed at the new Hellboy ... but for me it worked a treat.

Look end of the day if you love a film, good for you. Opinions are just like a**holes, everyones got one :)

You're absolutely right dude, and I think its awesome that the movie worked for somebody who loves the comic books.  Hellboy isn't on my shelf, I only really know the GDT movies, which I love but if it works for you then Marshall did his job.  I'm a DC comics fan and an avid defender of the Snyder movies, MoS and BvS are masterpieces in my eyes, but if people don't like them that's cool too, I'm not one to bash people who don't like the things that I like.  I try to avoid the ugly parts of fandom because at the end of the day, whether its Marvel or DC or any other group doing well, then comic book fans as a whole get a win. 

Prez

Prez

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 14, 2019, 10:54:12 AM
Quote from: Prez on Apr 14, 2019, 10:48:04 AM
Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Apr 14, 2019, 10:40:06 AM
Quote from: Prez on Apr 14, 2019, 10:30:15 AM
Hellboy 2019

LOVED IT!
Far from perfect but a wild, fun ride and for me, as a long time (obsessed) reader of Hellboy this was more in the vibe of the comic book (some scenes are straight out of the Mignola's artwork) - no slight on GDT or Perlman (and I love those films too) but this one hit all the right buttons for me.

This is a younger Hellboy and Harbour brings a different performance to that of Perlman but for me personally I actually enjoyed his take more.
I want more of these films but sadly I doubt it will happen given the poor reception.

Proof yet again that films are subjective ... and most critics opinions rarely line up with mine. That's the beauty of movies - make your own mind up.

I'm really starting to notice a trend with comic book movies.  If it isn't MCU it is suddenly open to mainstream criticism, we saw this with Venom, and after the Dark Phoenix trailer dropped a lot of people piled onto it, it was the same with Hellboy.  Now don't get me wrong, I love the MCU for the most part, but I can't help but notice the majority of mainstream critics, and Youtube personalities immediately gush all over any MCU property, stepping over similar criticisms that they have no problem expressing for movies outside of the shared universe.  Don't get me wrong, some movies are just bad, but it isn't a stretch to see that so many so called critics are very forgiving when it comes to Marvel and Star Wars.  Venom was okay, Aquaman was fun, Dark Phoenix looks so so, and truth be told the Hellboy trailers didn't catch my attention, but I'll still see it.  I'm not a conspiracy theorist, (at least I don't think I am) but I have noticed this trend in recent years.

I hear ya. Look for the most part most MCU films have been very good however for example Captain Marvel which was bang average at best ... yet critics raving about it. There does seem to be less genuine criticism of their films when warranted say compared to others.

I completely get the criticisms directed at the new Hellboy ... but for me it worked a treat.

Look end of the day if you love a film, good for you. Opinions are just like a**holes, everyones got one :)

You're absolutely right dude, and I think its awesome that the movie worked for somebody who loves the comic books.  Hellboy isn't on my shelf, I only really know the GDT movies, which I love but if it works for you then Marshall did his job.  I'm a DC comics fan and an avid defender of the Snyder movies, MoS and BvS are masterpieces in my eyes, but if people don't like them that's cool too, I'm not one to bash people who don't like the things that I like.  I try to avoid the ugly parts of fandom because at the end of the day, whether its Marvel or DC or any other group doing well, then comic book fans as a whole get a win.

FWIW I love both MoS and BvS too. Never understood the amount of hate either got. But as we said, each to their own.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Hellboy (2019)

I thought this had some good bits, but was mostly a mess. The cast (Milla aside, good lord was she terrible) was pretty good, though.

Huggs

Huggs

Watched a little bit of Olympus has Fallen. I really like these movies, but I want one without Gerard just so I can say "I can't believe it's not Butler".

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Shazam
This was a lot of fun. The performances were spot on. Loved how it weaved and cant wait for a sequel.

Watchers (1988)
A fun Horror film. a good adapt of Dean Koontz's book. Michael Ironside is great as always. Although the Outsider worked best when it was quick shots and in shadow

Fright Night (1985)
Hadnt seen this is years. Its just one of the best Vampire films ever. Roddy McDowell is class as always and Chris Sarandon oozes so much charisma.

Dead Heat (1988)
Been wanting to see this for ages. Its a fun Action/Comedy/Horror. Everyone is just having fun, even in the dark bits

Huggs

Huggs

Batman Forever.

Oh God, I forgot about the kung fu socks.

I feel like watching the frighteners tonight.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The Crow

Awesome movie, although admittedly there's no escaping the tragedy surrounding it. Sometime's it's hard to judge whether this really would've been the big break for Brandon Lee that people often say it is, or whether they're only saying that because of his untimely passing, but it's still easily his best performance. Michael Wincott is one hell of an awful c*nt as the villain Top Dollar too, and Ernie Hudson is great at the only decent cop in the whole city.

I do kinda wish they'd put together an uncut director's cut of this one day, but at the same time I completely get why they wanted to tone down the gore.

Under Siege

The Seagull's fans can say what they like about Above the Law (:P), this is still by far his best movie as far as I'm concerned, due in no small part to Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey taking each other on in a heavyweight scenery-chewing competition as the villains. Along with Air Force One and The Rock, I consider this to be part of the holy trinity of Die Hard rip-offs.

It's also got one of my favourite action movie lines ever - Jones walks into a hallway full of his men who have been killed by Seagal in a variety of horrific ways, turns to his second-in-command and says, "Daumer, Daumer , Daumer, why didn't you hire this person? I don't know what his price would've been but it would've been worth it."

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 15, 2019, 09:10:51 PM
Under Siege

The Seagull's fans can say what they like about Above the Law (:P), this is still by far his best movie as far as I'm concerned, due in no small part to Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey taking each other on in a heavyweight scenery-chewing competition as the villains. Along with Air Force One and The Rock, I consider this to be part of the holy trinity of Die Hard rip-offs.

It's also got one of my favourite action movie lines ever - Jones walks into a hallway full of his men who have been killed by Seagal in a variety of horrific ways, turns to his second-in-command and says, "Daumer, Daumer , Daumer, why didn't you hire this person? I don't know what his price would've been but it would've been worth it."

"And take my pies out of the oven!" :laugh:

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Anaconda
Cheesy fun, with Jon Voight chewing the scenery for all its worth

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Apr 16, 2019, 12:19:10 PM
Anaconda
Cheesy fun, with Jon Voight chewing the scenery for all its worth

You know, to this very day, I still use lines from that movie in public.

"Million dollars Gary"

"Baby bird"

"You killed my warrior snake!"

John went so overboard in that movie that it's just brilliant.  :laugh:

Russ

Russ

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 15, 2019, 09:10:51 PM

Under Siege

The Seagull's fans can say what they like about Above the Law (:P), this is still by far his best movie as far as I'm concerned, due in no small part to Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey taking each other on in a heavyweight scenery-chewing competition as the villains.

Nothing to do with Erika Eleniak bursting out of the cake?

You seem like a fellow Segalogist. Allow me, if you don't already know about this, to introduce you to possibly the greatest book ever written

(about Seagal. So, the only book ever written about Seagal, probably)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagalogy-Ass-Kicking-Steven-Seagal-Updated/dp/0857687220/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2RQ85CC95TFSC&keywords=seagalogy&qid=1555488729&s=gateway&sprefix=seagalogy%2Caps%2C253&sr=8-1

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ on Apr 17, 2019, 08:12:44 AMNothing to do with Erika Eleniak bursting out of the cake?

I respectfully decline to comment :P

Quote from: Russ on Apr 17, 2019, 08:12:44 AMYou seem like a fellow Segalogist. Allow me, if you don't already know about this, to introduce you to possibly the greatest book ever written

(about Seagal. So, the only book ever written about Seagal, probably)

Lol I was aware of that book's existence :laugh:

To be honest, I'm not actually much of a fan of his. He just happened to be in a few genuinely great action films in the 90s (and On Deadly Ground, which I can't help but find hysterically entertaining).

Russ

Russ

I just find him hugely entertaining. (I've seen him live in concert... twice).

His latter output got so shit that even I stopped buying them after a while - its a shame because you see folk like Van Damme and Lundgren really giving their DTV efforts the full monty where as - for ten years or more - Seagal just doesn't turn up - even his ADR is often done by someone else... as are the fight scenes.

Still, his increasing waistline has provided endless hours of fun trying to think up titles for his films like "Hard to Fill," "On Deadly Pounds,"  The Slimmer Man," "Into the Bun" and so on. Bonus points for "Belly of the Beast" (an actual title and not a bad latter day effort.)

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Russ on Apr 17, 2019, 08:46:38 AM
I just find him hugely entertaining. (I've seen him live in concert... twice).

I thought about going to a concert of his just to try and exchange a couple of punches, just so I can say I fought with Steven Seagal. Or got my ass kicked by him.

Huggs

Huggs

Pacific Rim 2 - Bluray

I found out that as long as I forward through the human interest bits and all the scenes with teenagers, it's not so bad.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed