Prometheus moments of genius

Started by 180924609, Jul 18, 2012, 10:08:11 PM

Author
Prometheus moments of genius (Read 5,683 times)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Virgil on Jul 20, 2012, 12:08:39 AM
Particularly the line: 'Can you imagine how disappointing it would be for you, to hear the same thing from your creator'.

It's the subtle contempt David has for Holloway that brought shivers to the spine on my first viewing.

The quote was nice, but it would have been better left to a human character. The actor's performance was fine, but I despaired over why a machine would have any kind of emotions, beyond those used for the illusion in social interaction. It was pretty inevitable that something like that would end up feeling resentment if you use it exclusively for manual labour. That's just basic psychology and simply left me feeling like Weyland never had any common sense. A machine shouldn't care about things, one way or another, beyond carrying out authorised instructions.

Even more so for the 'everyone wants their parents to die' line, which didn't really make any logical sense as a piece of philosophy and made me wonder what Lindelof's parents might think when they end up watching it...

SM

SM

Prolly proud of him for being a successful writer I imagine.

QuoteThe actor's performance was fine, but I despaired over why a machine would have any kind of emotions, beyond those used for the illusion in social interaction.

What "emotions"?

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 20, 2012, 04:51:53 AM
Particularly the line: 'Can you imagine how disappointing it would be for you, to hear the same thing from your creator'.

It's the subtle contempt David has for Holloway that brought shivers to the spine on my first viewing.

The quote was nice, but it would have been better left to a human character. The actor's performance was fine, but I despaired over why a machine would have any kind of emotions, beyond those used for the illusion in social interaction. It was pretty inevitable that something like that would end up feeling resentment if you use it exclusively for manual labour. That's just basic psychology and simply left me feeling like Weyland never had any common sense. A machine shouldn't care about things, one way or another, beyond carrying out authorised instructions.

Even more so for the 'everyone wants their parents to die' line, which didn't really make any logical sense as a piece of philosophy and made me wonder what Lindelof's parents might think when they end up watching it...

Why would have been better from a human character? The whole point in the line coming from a robot is to flick the switch for the audience. It's basically a mirror.

David cleary had some higher level of consciousness other wise why would he take an interest in watching other people's dreams??

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Highland on Jul 20, 2012, 06:31:36 AMThe whole point in the line coming from a robot is to flick the switch for the audience. It's basically a mirror.
You want some more?

Gash

Gash

The quote was nice, but it would have been better left to a human character.

??? ??? ??? WTF?

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jul 20, 2012, 08:55:31 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jul 20, 2012, 06:31:36 AMThe whole point in the line coming from a robot is to flick the switch for the audience. It's basically a mirror.
You want some more?

Fifth Element, now that was a disappointing film.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Gash on Jul 20, 2012, 08:52:46 PMFifth Element, now that was a disappointing film.

But worth it for that moment alone. ;D

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jul 21, 2012, 12:33:09 AM
Quote from: Gash on Jul 20, 2012, 08:52:46 PMFifth Element, now that was a disappointing film.

But worth it for that moment alone. ;D

There are plenty moments! Awesome soundtrack too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOh7gjbR-qU#

szkoki

szkoki

after Charlie's death the movie just become ....fast , Charlie is dead, so kill everyone, find the alien then crash , end and i havent realized whats happened there

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Highland on Jul 20, 2012, 06:31:36 AM

Why would have been better from a human character? The whole point in the line coming from a robot is to flick the switch for the audience. It's basically a mirror.

David cleary had some higher level of consciousness other wise why would he take an interest in watching other people's dreams??

Yeah when I think David I always think of Bishop calling the earlier generations "twitchy".  If Kane's generation was twitchy, what does that makes david's generation?  Unstable?

SM

SM

He's deliberately programmed to be able to do things that humans might find "unethical".  And does them with great aplomb.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

David does hate his makers and desires their death, though.. i guess that's what makes him "twitchy".

Max Powers

Max Powers

Quote from: SM on Jul 23, 2012, 11:51:36 PM
He's deliberately programmed to be able to do things that humans might find "unethical".  And does them with great aplomb.

Ya never tell a robot you'll be willing to do "anything." That was all the permission he needed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed