Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 187,648 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Exactly, it's ultimately why Alien and Cyberpunk like Blade Runner, Ruiner and Observer are ultimately more compatible. Dealing with the apathy of capitalism, artificial intelligence, creation, identity, etc

In the original Alien films it's more in the subtext than the text but it's there, it's why they're more than just monster movies.

Perfect-Organism

I agree.  The theme of artificial intelligence permeates the alien films.  All of them.  Yes it is in the subtext, but it is there no less.  But there is also the sheer wonder, and marvel of alien organic life which grows into horror.  There is a beauty in the design of the Aliens which allows the films to operate on an entirely different, sublime level.  The Predators are just space hicks out on a hunt.  The only way to make Predators more compatible with the ideas of Alien, is to make them cease to be hunters and to explore their biology and society instead.  But that would rob the predators of their greatest virtue - that they are HUNTERS.  Such a Predator film that is not about hunting, is no longer a Predator film, by definition.  Nobody wants to see doctor  predators, or librarian predators, or single-mom predators, unless you're venturing into comedy / spoof territory.

SM

QuoteThe theme of artificial intelligence permeates the alien films.  The theme of artificial intelligence permeates the alien films.

In what way?

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Jun 21, 2018, 01:39:03 AM
Prometheus and Covenant are about creation and artificial intelligence.

All the others are about people running around in the dark getting eaten by monsters.  Which isn't terribly high brow.
Uh, there's a hell of a lot more going on in the 4 Alien films than just that. If that was your takeaway, then yikes.

Huggs

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 21, 2018, 02:27:59 AM
Nobody wants to see doctor  predators

Not to nitpick but they've been performing field surgery for quite some time now. And I wouldn't mind seeing the Predator version of a Trauma Pod, or medical bay. It would make for some interesting scenes.

Quote from: SM on Jun 21, 2018, 02:42:53 AM
QuoteThe theme of artificial intelligence permeates the alien films.  The theme of artificial intelligence permeates the alien films.

In what way?

You don't know?  :D

SM

A theme of artificial intelligence in the four Alien films?  No.

Do you?

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Jun 21, 2018, 03:02:48 AM
A theme of artificial intelligence in the four Alien films?  No.

Do you?

Having robots in Alien movies doesn't equate to themes about artificial intelligence.

I agree. The use of AI in the original films was more of a subtle means of creating tension. And by Alien 3 it wasn't an issue for Ripley anymore. AI as a theme only really took hold with the prequels.

SM

Corporal Hicks

I'm kinda hoping it might come with a reboot (not a remake!), just some form of soft reboot with a new creative team behind it. But I fear Merlin is Scott's play to keep in good with Disney after the merge.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jun 21, 2018, 02:53:31 AM

All the others are about people running around in the dark getting eaten by monsters.  Which isn't terribly high brow.
Uh, there's a hell of a lot more going on in the 4 Alien films than just that. If that was your takeaway, then yikes.

This.

Magegg

According to Bloomberg, the Disney-Fox deal could be approved by the Government in the next two weeks:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-20/disney-is-said-to-near-u-s-approval-on-fox-in-blow-to-comcast

Disney agreed to sell some of the Fox assets in order to sort out the anti-trust concerns.

I wonder if that could include some film/tv I.P.s, like Alien and Predator.

Vermillion

Standby for Kathleen Kennedy's new venture.

Richman678

Quote from: Vermillion on Jun 21, 2018, 07:07:23 PM
Standby for Kathleen Kennedy's new venture.

Well if it was handed over to her it wouldn't be horrible since the Alien Franchise is already the staple for true feminism heroes.

The Old One

The Old One

Only the feminist heroes would now all have no personality.

SM

Quote from: The Old One on Jun 21, 2018, 12:35:53 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jun 21, 2018, 02:53:31 AM

This.

Like what?  Oh yeah - the baddies want the monster too.

In the context of the actual conversation being had here - there's no reason Alien is especially more high brow than Predator.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed