What made you unhappy today?

Started by First Blood, Jan 18, 2013, 12:32:16 AM

Author
What made you unhappy today? (Read 595,695 times)

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

My parents had a similar incident when their small dog got mauled by a bigger dog walking without leash.
She recovered against all odds but it has left marks on her. She got a lot of big scars all over her now and she became very timid and jumpy ever since.

Some people are just irresponsible. At least the owner of the attacking dog was really really sorry. Payed the huge medical bill and all. But it could all have been prevented if he just put his dog on a leash like he was supposed to.

Baron Von Marlon

It's one of the wrong things in life. Every one can just get a pet, or a kid while we're at it, but not everyone's responsible enough to have one (or more).
Yet you need a permit for some little things in life.

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Dec 25, 2018, 09:05:43 AM
It's one of the wrong things in life. Every one can just get a pet, or a kid while we're at it, but not everyone's responsible enough to have one (or more).
Yet you need a permit for some little things in life.

Exactly.

Huggs

Huggs

I found out earlier that the police have done nothing about the animal, and it wandered back to my Uncle's neighborhood today. It was heading toward his yard and he was forced to fire a round into the dirt to scare it off. After some minor investigation, it turns out that this animal has mauled and killed 3 other dogs. It doesn't help that the owners are a bunch of drug addicts that run a meth lab.

This is the kind of sh*t that happens when you don't have some kind of animal control agency, or cops that give a damn.

TheSailingRabbit

Christmas is over. It kinda feels like there's nothing to look forward to. My birthday's in three months, but that's it. I'm hoping I'll be able to take my road test and start looking at used cars by then.

Anyone else not the biggest fan of New Year's?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Dec 26, 2018, 02:21:13 AM
Christmas is over. It kinda feels like there's nothing to look forward to. My birthday's in three months, but that's it. I'm hoping I'll be able to take my road test and start looking at used cars by then.

I enjoy New Years Eve (specifically the stroke of midnight), only for the fact that it acts as a reset. There's something therapeutic about leaving behind the bad experiences of the year and having a clean slate, even if it only lasts for a little while. It's a chance to change something, a chance to do things better, to be better.

But that feeling of last years baggage rolling off my shoulders, there's nothing like it.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 26, 2018, 02:37:52 AM
Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Dec 26, 2018, 02:21:13 AM

I enjoy New Years Eve (specifically the stroke of midnight), only for the fact that it acts as a reset. There's something therapeutic about leaving behind the bad experiences of the year and having a clean slate, even if it only lasts for a little while. It's a chance to change something, a chance to do things better, to be better.

But that feeling of last years baggage rolling off my shoulders, there's nothing like it.

I don't think I'm going to experience that feeling for a long time. Not until I get myself a real job and a real plan for life.

Spoiler
How do I tell my parents I want to go to film school when I know they're going to lecture me on doing something else? I know this probably isn't the right place, but I don't have any other outlets.
[close]

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Dec 26, 2018, 02:49:09 AM
I don't think I'm going to experience that feeling for a long time. Not until I get myself a real job and a real plan for life.

There's two ways to experience it.

1. The natural way. It's a holiday and you're celebrating a new year that brings with it nearly unlimited possibilities.

2. The year that's ending has been hell, and you can't wait to see it go.

I've had a lot of both, and believe me, you'll feel it someday. It's all part of being human.

As for the life plan, that day will come soon enough. It may even be tomorrow. Right now it's still Christmas, so live tonight and enjoy it for all it's worth.

Spoiler
How do I tell my parents I want to go to film school when I know they're going to lecture me on doing something else? I know this probably isn't the right place, but I don't have any other outlets.
[close]

Spoiler
Do your research into film school. Know what's going to be required of you, and whether or not the challenges and stress of it are going to be worth your time and money. Know what kind of financial/living situation you'll be in if it doesn't work out. Then, just talk to your parents. You're only talking about something you "want" to do. You're not doing it yet. You might change your mind 4 times before you start moving in any particular direction.

Parents worry, life is hard and they don't want it to be hard on their children. It's a natural reaction. There are several instances in my own life where I was saved from catastrophic mistakes because I listened to my folks. They'd been adults long before I had, and they'd worked alot of jobs, endured a lot of hardships, and had great insight into the world and many of its traps/potholes. You don't want to work doing something that makes you miserable, but you don't want to go hungry either. Parents want their kids to be happy, even more than we realize. That's a hard thing to see sometimes, especially when they disagree with what seems to us like a good idea, and a natural source of happiness.

All that being said, if they're wanting you to work at 7/11 for the rest of your life so you can bring dad home cheap beer every night, then that's a problem. If they just want you to be safe, secure, and maintaining a comfortable life, then it can't hurt to hear them out.
[close]

toro

toro

pretty much everything i've read from people who went to film school say it was a complete waste of time, and that the only realistic way in is to get an entry gig like a production assistant, and just write/film as much as you can in your own time, and eventually build those contacts

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 26, 2018, 03:29:40 AM

There's two ways to experience it.

1. The natural way. It's a holiday and you're celebrating a new year that brings with it nearly unlimited possibilities.

2. The year that's ending has been hell, and you can't wait to see it go.

I've had a lot of both, and believe me, you'll feel it someday. It's all part of being human.

As for the life plan, that day will come soon enough. It may even be tomorrow. Right now it's still Christmas, so live tonight and enjoy it for all it's worth.

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Do your research into film school. Know what's going to be required of you, and whether or not the challenges and stress of it are going to be worth your time and money. Know what kind of financial/living situation you'll be in if it doesn't work out. Then, just talk to your parents. You're only talking about something you "want" to do. You're not doing it yet. You might change your mind 4 times before you start moving in any particular direction.

Parents worry, life is hard and they don't want it to be hard on their children. It's a natural reaction. There are several instances in my own life where I was saved from catastrophic mistakes because I listened to my folks. They'd been adults long before I had, and they'd worked alot of jobs, endured a lot of hardships, and had great insight into the world and many of its traps/potholes. You don't want to work doing something that makes you miserable, but you don't want to go hungry either. Parents want their kids to be happy, even more than we realize. That's a hard thing to see sometimes, especially when they disagree with what seems to us like a good idea, and a natural source of happiness.

All that being said, if they're wanting you to work at 7/11 for the rest of your life so you can bring dad home cheap beer every night, then that's a problem. If they just want you to be safe, secure, and maintaining a comfortable life, then it can't hurt to hear them out.
[close]

Spoiler
Well, you're right. I have been changing my mind constantly over the last few days. I should say months, because this is all a result of me failing boot camp. The primary issue is that while I had a solid plan in the Navy, there was no guarantee I was going to make through boot camp. Looking back, one of two things would've happened if I had passed the entry run: I would either fail the final run (which is taken literally days before you graduate) or I'd be separated with a 711 code (meaning I have mental health problems). Boot camp sucks. I don't know how many of you here served, but kudos to you for making it. I know I've gone on about this before, but I feel like I just need someone listening.

I was wholly convinced that I was going to make it and that I'd be moving on to my career right now. A week into boot camp, around two days after I got put in a remedial division for people who fail the run the first time around, I started thinking that everything I was working towards was mere fantasy: I'm never going to travel. I'm never going to write fiction as a job. I'm never going to live in a big city. I'm never going to have my own pets or meet the love of my life or do any of the things I really want to do. I was convinced I was going to continue failing and not move on. Right now, I believe that everything I was promised is still going to be there, but I don't want to go through the process of getting into boot camp again. Does that make me a physically and mentally weak person for not wanting to go through that again?
[close]

Baron Von Marlon

Nothing weak about it. Going to a certain process multiple times can be annoying. But sometimes you just have to get through the bad before you get to the good. But it all depends on how much you want it, how you feel at the time,...

If you rather wait and want to figure things out more, you could take some "easy" part time job while you keep living at home. A job and steady income should make your parents somewhat happy. And by living at home, you should be able to save some money.
You could use your spare time for writing and/or maybe take a course, like a language. Or advanced English.
Something useful, that might at the same time be a good addition to your resume.

If you really love writing, you could also go for some boring job where you don't have to do a lot of work and can write during work.

It all depends on what you want in life...

Huggs

Huggs

I don't even know how to say it. I feel somewhat victimized, yet, I'm flattered at the same time, though quite disgusted. For some unknown reason, the female customers at work today were seriously horndoggin', and my voice put me in the crosshairs. I didn't think it was going to stop.

No ma'am, I'm not doing anything on purpose. Yes, it's happening a lot today. I seriously hope they all don't "need lovin'", as you say. You could do with some? Oh, for the love of God!

You'd think it would be a nice experience, but do you have any idea how weird it is to hear such things from women old enough to need hospice!? Or that gay dude that looked like a ninja turtle? Okay, the Bi-gal was cute, and so were the Milfs, but I was trying to do my freakin' job. Is no chick in this town gettin' any? For goodness sake.

It was like a Tennessee Williams play. It was like "The Long Hot Summer", except I was Eula and too many of the women were Orson Welles.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 01, 2019, 12:39:00 AM
I don't even know how to say it. I feel somewhat victimized, yet, I'm flattered at the same time, though quite disgusted. For some unknown reason, the female customers at work today were seriously horndoggin', and my voice put me in the crosshairs. I didn't think it was going to stop.

No ma'am, I'm not doing anything on purpose. Yes, it's happening a lot today. I seriously hope they all don't "need lovin'", as you say. You could do with some? Oh, for the love of God!

You'd think it would be a nice experience, but do you have any idea how weird it is to hear such things from women old enough to need hospice!? Or that gay dude that looked like a ninja turtle? Okay, the Bi-gal was cute, and so were the Milfs, but I was trying to do my freakin' job. Is no chick in this town gettin' any? For goodness sake.

It was like a Tennessee Williams play. It was like "The Long Hot Summer", except I was Eula and too many of the women were Orson Welles.

Is it a full moon? I don't recall if it's gonna be a full moon tonight. Maybe they were all off their rockers with New Year's parties.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Jan 01, 2019, 12:50:10 AM

Is it a full moon? I don't recall if it's gonna be a full moon tonight. Maybe they were all off their rockers with New Year's parties.

That's the weird thing. Everybody kept telling me they're chilling at home tonight, no parties. Nobody wants to get in a car wreck with all the drunkards running around. But yeah, I get it lady, you're alone tonight. Yeah, maybe they do want lovin'. Uh-huh.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 01, 2019, 12:59:22 AM
Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Jan 01, 2019, 12:50:10 AM

That's the weird thing. Everybody kept telling me they're chilling at home tonight, no parties. Nobody wants to get in a car wreck with all the drunkards running around. But yeah, I get it lady, you're alone tonight. Yeah, maybe they do want lovin'. Uh-huh.

I guess the AvPGalaxy Dating thread would produce better results.

I looked out my window to see some of the neighbors have already taken down their Christmas lights. And I saw Valentine's Day stuff in the mall yesterday.

I'm definitely spending Valentine's Day here.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed