Say something you LIKE about AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem.

Started by Voodoo Magic, Dec 09, 2018, 05:55:36 PM

Author
Say something you LIKE about AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem. (Read 106,108 times)

happypred

A lot has been said about masked Wolf being a great or at least very solid design, but the general concept of an elite cleaner or special operator among the Preds was a great idea as well...of course setting aside the flawed execution at the Aliens' expense

Feral_PRED

Here's some of my quick thoughts on what I like/love in AVP:R:

The score
One must wonder how to follow up such great composers in the likes of Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, Alan Silvestri and Elliot Goldenthal. Brian Tyler's score as great callbacks to both franchises while having it's own identity. It's fast paced and exciting at times and scary and haunting at others.
Favorite track: It's a tie between Decimation Proclamation and Requiem Epilogue.

The setting
Since that famous tease in the Alien³ trailer, I've always wanted to see the aliens wreak havoc on earth. I've always felt that the events of the first AVP were a bit too isolated and I got my wish fulfilled with this one.

The kills
AVP:R has some pretty nasty kills. From the acid face melting to the pregnant belly burster, Requiem has it all. Some call them tastless but I can't get enough.

Wolf
Studio ADI really stepped things up with Wolf. Design wise, it's miles better than the Preds from AVP. Ian Whyte is the real MVP here. He absolutely nails the demeanor of the Predator.

OmegaZilla

btw

AvPR > Prometheus

AvPR > The Predator 2018

Kradan

Quote from: Omegamorph on Jul 31, 2022, 07:46:45 AMAvPR > The Predator 2018

No

Quote from: Omegamorph on Jul 31, 2022, 07:46:45 AMAvPR > Prometheus

Hell no ! Are you high or something ?

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 31, 2022, 09:15:08 AM
Quote from: Omegamorph on Jul 31, 2022, 07:46:45 AMAvPR > Prometheus

Hell no ! Are you high or something ?
Kradan hated Omega because he told him the truth

despite the popular belief, I'm not as continually high as some funny pass-aggro people may think (not you, of course)

Kradan

I wasn't serious, of course, but that's probably the first time I've heard something like this. Would you be kind enough to elaborate why you think so ?

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 31, 2022, 03:31:29 PMI wasn't serious, of course, but that's probably the first time I've heard something like this. Would you be kind enough to elaborate why you think so ?
Both are complete ass

but at least AvPR has that kitsch grindhouse vibe that in singular scenes is sometimes enjoyable. Prometheus similarly has enjoyable, isolated scenes, but commits a grand crime of the highest order (unlike AvPR who's simply just Critters but with Aliens and a Predator)

Crazy Rich

I used to hate AvP-R the most until The Predator came along, which isn't so much praise of AvP-R but rather how much The Predator lowered the bar even further.

Compared to Prometheus though I don't know, I hate AvP-R while Prometheus is just... there.

Dare I bring forward the hypothesis that AvP-R is actually more memorable because of it's infamy while Prometheus on the other hand is just forgettable?

Kradan

Quote from: Omegamorph on Jul 31, 2022, 03:49:49 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Jul 31, 2022, 03:31:29 PMI wasn't serious, of course, but that's probably the first time I've heard something like this. Would you be kind enough to elaborate why you think so ?
Both are complete ass

but at least AvPR has that kitsch grindhouse vibe that in singular scenes is sometimes enjoyable. Prometheus similarly has enjoyable, isolated scenes, but commits a grand crime of the highest order (unlike AvPR who's simply just Critters but with Aliens and a Predator)

What are the worst moments of these two movies for you ?

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 31, 2022, 04:13:42 PMWhat are the worst moments of these two movies for you ?
people are dying we need guns

it must feel like your god has abandoned you

Kradan

Interesting ...

shadowedge

I liked the Wolf scenes of AVPR, his performance, and the fact that much of the movie was from his perspective.

Also liked his heat vision a lot. It was more advanced and clear then the other movies.

Also the moment where he touched the head of the deceased Predator and showed some respectful mourning was nice.

OmegaZilla

Quote from: shadowedge on Jul 31, 2022, 07:33:24 PMI liked the Wolf scenes of AVPR, his performance, and the fact that much of the movie was from his perspective.

Also liked his heat vision a lot. It was more advanced and clear then the other movies.

Also the moment where he touched the head of the deceased Predator and showed some respectful mourning was nice.
The crashed ship scene for one is unironically great and Ian Whyte's performance there is incredible

Kradan

Kradan

I can agree with that. I might even call it the best scene in the movie, yes unmasked Wolf included. Watching Predator quietly doing his job is so ... SATISFYING. Also, nice to see Predators mourn their dead

Quote from: shadowedge on Jul 31, 2022, 07:33:24 PMI liked the Wolf scenes of AVPR, his performance, and the fact that much of the movie was from his perspective.

If they had cut out all of the humans-related bullshit and focused entirely on Wolf dealing with the Aliens problem AvPR could've been so much more enjoyable  to watch

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 01, 2022, 07:30:04 AMI can agree with that. I might even call it the best scene in the movie,
no question

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed