Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 02, 2024, 09:03:57 AM

Do you care about canon?

Yes
27 (62.8%)
No
16 (37.2%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author
Do you care about canon? (Read 4,289 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Neila on Apr 08, 2024, 09:58:55 AMAlien 4 was originally written by Whedon without Ripley.
It just very likely wouldn't have been a cloning story.
How else do you think they'd bring Newt back?

Neila

Neila

I don't know whedon's first script.
But bringing Newt back through cloning makes no sense because she didn't have a queen inside her. So she is completely worthless to the company.
Wasn't there even a plan to dismiss Alien 3 as a nightmare episode?
Well, I mean long before Blomkamp appeared on the scene.
(His plan was a new Alien 3, so to speak, with Hicks, Newt and Ripley)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Neila on Apr 08, 2024, 10:29:51 AMI don't know whedon's first script.
But bringing Newt back through cloning makes no sense because she didn't have a queen inside her. So she is completely worthless to the company.
Wasn't there even a plan to dismiss Alien 3 as a nightmare episode?
Well, I mean long before Blomkamp appeared on the scene.
(His plan was a new Alien 3, so to speak, with Hicks, Newt and Ripley)
Whedon's was going to feature an older Newt and it seems like it would still involve cloning.

Neila

Neila

Maybe he wanted to bring the alien back by cloning?
That would be understandable somehow, but newt doesn't make any sense at all.

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: Neila on Apr 08, 2024, 09:58:55 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 08, 2024, 09:18:00 AM
Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 07, 2024, 10:15:13 PM
Quote from: aliens13 on Apr 07, 2024, 10:11:15 PM
Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 07, 2024, 10:05:14 PM
Quote from: aliens13 on Apr 07, 2024, 09:43:32 PMAt first I voted Yes but after think on it I changed my voted to No. My canon forever will be Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 despite I like Resurrection and Covenant (Prometheus no so much) they have done some things to the lore that you can love it or hate it, specially the prequel's, I think that Resurrection doesn't has to many harm in this regard. With Romulus we will see, it has things of the prequel's added to the movie. But the untouchable and perfect canon will be forever the OG trilogy

Inevitably we all have a point we think a story should stop, some it is Alien, others Aliens, others Aliwn3, and still others who like it to keep expanding. I think it is possible to have a canon like you have said be were you wanted it, and still enjoy new offerings. :)
I'm hope and I'm sure that I will enjoy or love Romulus, I'm very excited to see what Fede has to offer to my favourite franchise. But my canon will be the original trilogy  ;D

The Trilogy really is the most satisfying for Ripley's story. Resurrection would have maybe been better without her.   

Resurrection couldn't have happened without her.

Alien 4 was originally written by Whedon without Ripley.
It just very likely wouldn't have been a cloning story.
At least there would have been many ways in which the alien could have been brought back to the screen.
The name Ressurrection doesn't just refer to Ripley.

Technically Romulus is gonna be resurrection.

oduodu

oduodu

at least in rez ripley gets some payoff for her troubles. and mankind the super soldier they were looking for. it s sad egg morphing never got a place in a3 or a4. at  least we have the the alien dc.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Alien Resurrection is enjoyable to me as a live-action Dark Horse comic book. But is always a EU/ what-if story to me. It deffo doesn't belong anywhere near the original trilogy.

SM

SM

It existence relies entirely on the "original trilogy".

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 08, 2024, 11:11:01 AMTechnically Romulus is gonna be resurrection.

Maybe it's too early to draw comparisons but visually it looks like Alien Isolation the movie. But yeah 😑🙏

Spoiler
There seem to be some common themes with Alien Resurrection according to leaks ;D
[close]

I hope it's more like The Cold Forge though, plot-wise speaking .

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: SM on Apr 08, 2024, 09:35:39 PMIt existence relies entirely on the "original trilogy".

This is very true, but i meant in terms of aesthetic/vibe/atmosphere, it's definitely an outlier. One could argue that each Alien film is as different from the preceding movie, yet the original three movies work as a trilogy and 'feel right' together. Resurrection doesn't feel like it belongs (hence my analogy to being like a dark horse comic... it's not so much the ideas, more the execution. And whilst there is a 200 year gap to consider, it still almost feels like a different world to the first three movies.

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 08, 2024, 10:06:20 PM
Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 08, 2024, 11:11:01 AMTechnically Romulus is gonna be resurrection.

Maybe it's too early to draw comparisons but visually it looks like Alien Isolation the movie. But yeah 😑🙏

Spoiler
There seem to be some common themes with Alien Resurrection according to leaks ;D
[close]

I hope it's more like The Cold Forge though, plot-wise speaking .

I'll die if Ripley somehow makes a cameo.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 09, 2024, 02:59:59 AMI'll die if Ripley somehow makes a cameo.

I'll kill someone if she does. We may have a mutual interest.

SM

SM

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Apr 08, 2024, 10:28:31 PM
Quote from: SM on Apr 08, 2024, 09:35:39 PMIt existence relies entirely on the "original trilogy".

This is very true, but i meant in terms of aesthetic/vibe/atmosphere, it's definitely an outlier. One could argue that each Alien film is as different from the preceding movie, yet the original three movies work as a trilogy and 'feel right' together. Resurrection doesn't feel like it belongs (hence my analogy to being like a dark horse comic... it's not so much the ideas, more the execution. And whilst there is a 200 year gap to consider, it still almost feels like a different world to the first three movies.

You could easily level the same criticism of aesthetic/vibe/atmosphere at Alien compared to the first two.

Neila

Neila

Quote from: Neila on Apr 08, 2024, 08:35:33 AMI also like A4 to a certain extent, but while A1-A3 fit together pretty well, A4 feels like a fantasy film.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 02, 2024, 11:35:51 AM@Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Apr 02, 2024, 09:59:05 AMLike, I like Herk Mondo, but I would not want him to be part of the canon

I wouldn't mind a Herk Mondo flick. That would be something different to say the least

On the matter of canon: I don't care really as long as I can have access to the entries I enjoy re-visiting. I love Alien 3, I kinda like Resurrection, Prometheus is just there for me and I dig Covenant. But I wouldn't be terribly upset if the new stories overwrite any of these as long as it's for filmakers' creativity sake. I like first AvP movie and it's already excluded from canon and I'm OK with it (I'm glad Requiem is tho)
What's with the ping?

@predxeno I'd love to reply to your PM but your inbox is full.

As for the poll, I voted "yes", but because I find canon as a philosophical concept to be very fascinating. Otherwise I do not care what the "official canon" is. I have my own canon, that's all I need.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed