Started by Local Trouble, Oct 25, 2023, 12:07:44 AM

Was Burke working alone?

Yes
19 (90.5%)
No
2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author
Was Burke working alone? (Read 12,232 times)

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 27, 2023, 01:37:05 PMWhile he may have been using his company resources and authority, he was still acting alone in that he took it upon himself to give out those orders without telling anyone else in the company, because he wanted to have the exclusive rights.

When Ripley says the percentage line, it was probably just to make her point on how even the monstrous alien don't screw each other.
And even if you take it at face value, all it means is that eventually the company would find out what burke did (going by the assumption he accomplished it) and would take their cut out of it since it would still be their labs and resources being used to hold the specimens.

This is what I mean. This is the meaning of Burke working alone, not that he was physically doing so.

My points:

He has to use company resources because as an individual he has none. The same applies to everyone shown in the movie. According to Cameron, even the Marines had to rely on the company to manufacture armaments, etc.

He has to act alone, i.e., physically, because they had to do it without more knowing. Why? See below. That's also why Ash also had to work alone.

However, because he needed company resources, which includes other personnel (even those from the military), then he couldn't have been acting without company knowledge. (Even the military would have known about the Sulaco, its Marine unit sent on a rescue mission, and so on.) That's why the colony manager, who is from another division, accepted orders from him, who was doing so not as a private individual but as a company officer. That's also why, as company representative, he accompanied the military expedition to rescue "juicy" colonists' daughters. It's highly unlikely that the company did not know this because the facilities used by the colony belong to them, and even many of the colonists are also their employees.

In addition, the company had a bio-weapons division throughout, and as Ripley explains in as early as the first movie, that was set up to exploit what was gained from Ash's efforts, which would have included making personnel expendable.

That was Ripley's point, but a percentage still means exactly that: a share or percentage. That means Burke doesn't get exclusive rights. Rather, like the Jordens and the Nostromo crew he gets part of the profits earned by the company from exploiting the find. Another reason why this is so is because legally the find belongs to the company, and it involved using company personnel like Burke and Ripley and facilities.

What he meant by exclusive rights is that the company doesn't get them if they don't lay claim to the derelict ship first. Why's that? Because the company was granted only mineral rights to the rock. That means any finds above are up for grabs. Meanwhile, the ICC and ECA would impose lockdowns if it's known that dangerous organisms are involved. If that happens, bye-bye exclusive rights: the government could auction off the right to exploit the find to the highest bidder.

Because Burke, the Nostromo crew (including Ripley), and the Jordens were employed with W-Y, then they don't get exclusive rights and the company a cut. Rather, it's the other way round, as seen in reality: the one with the facilities gets the bulk of profits and others get a cut. That's why the ones who get the bulk of profits are oil companies, not the ones who find oil.

Why? Because that's how business works. What you get is based on the means of production that you own. The idea of becoming solely rich on a find because somehow you'll be able to, say, rent company labs and even factories to exploit finds, is at best a cartoonish view of the world, or imagining that villains are simply like Dr. Evil. Even financially you'll still lose because the amount you have to pay for for those labs and factories will eat up your "exclusive rights," leaving you with a percentage.

What was Cameron's point? According to the commentary, he wanted to depict "evil corporations". That's because what you saw in the movies are based on reality, where large, faceless groups of individuals with personal agendas are involved. It's not a Wacky Races show, where some evil mastermind can easily obtain anything he needs to achieve his goals, and then become sole ruler of the world, or of the universe.

This reminds me of one forum member who stated that what Cameron depicted in the movie (and which is also seenn in Scott's film) took place thirty years after, with multinational corporations using and abusing people. In reality, that was taking place decades before. That's why Cameron said that he was influenced by British corporations exploiting colonial India, U.S. companies exploiting the war in Vietnam, and the Bhopal disaster.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Yet another example of Ralfy shouting into the wind about things other people have refuted repeatedly, while he props up strawmen about what he thinks the people he has on ignore are saying.

For the love of Christ, someone please euthanize this thread.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Counterpoint: this thread should never be locked.  It should become a forum institution like Egg on Sulaco.  Anyone is welcome to try their luck at shaking some sense into ralfy before he clicks the ignore button on them.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 28, 2023, 02:04:26 AMCounterpoint: this thread should never be locked.  It should become a forum institution like Egg on Sulaco.  Anyone is welcome to try their luck at shaking some sense into ralfy before he clicks the ignore button on them.
Counter-counterpoint: that's a stupid idea and I hate it, and it's way funnier if a mod comes in and says "everyone believe whatever head-canon they want to believe" and locks the thread before Ralfy can post another 3,000-word screed about who the f**k cares.

Edit— acceptable alternate comedy options:
1. Keep the thread open, but make it so Ralfy can only post in this thread and nowhere else.
2. Keep the thread open, but force Ralfy to un-ignore everybody.
3. Keep the thread open, but make it so Ralfy can *only* see his own posts forum-wide and no one else's.
4. Keep the thread open, but give Ralfy a permanent avatar and forum signature of an image of the NECA Burke action figure with the caption "BURKE WORKED ALONE".

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

You could always try to persuade the board admins to disable the ignore feature and then let the onslaught begin.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 28, 2023, 02:16:19 AMYou could always try to persuade the board admins to disable the ignore feature and then let the onslaught begin.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/x7gjmBuaHrWak/giphy.gif
star_trek_nodding.gif

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 28, 2023, 02:04:26 AMCounterpoint: this thread should never be locked.  It should become a forum institution like Egg on Sulaco.  Anyone is welcome to try their luck at shaking some sense into ralfy before he clicks the ignore button on them.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/21T9PmWttOb0EFrrwK/giphy.gif

I'd rather play Crocodile Dentist with my schwanz

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: kwisatz on Dec 28, 2023, 02:29:58 AM

https://media0.giphy.com/media/21T9PmWttOb0EFrrwK/giphy.gif

I'd rather play Crocodile Dentist with my schwanz

The points I gave here are commonsensical:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?msg=2622214

The other authorized media are icing on the cake.

I use the ignore button because it's pointless dealing with those who lack common sense and are thus forced to resort to trolling. That's basically it.

Here's what "common sense" means:

W-Y had a bio-weapons division long before the events in the first movie started, and the ICC was implementing quarantine procedures as well. Those things don't take place out of the blue, which means companies had been finding, using, and weaponizing dangerous organisms, and the government had also been catching them doing so. Given that, it makes no sense that W-Y would not care about what Ripley reports.

No one in the movie and in reality has the means to go about solely exploiting such finds alone unless he's so rich he has company labs and factories at his disposal, and renting them doesn't help because the costs alone would mean that one will be left with only a fraction of the profits.

Personnel like colony managers and military technicians don't accept orders from private individuals. Rather, they accept orders only from higher ups in the same corporation or from corporations for which one works for. That's the case in this movie: the colony manager works for W-Y, and Burke, who was head of one W-Y division, was given the freedom to order people from other colonies around. Not only that, but he was able to order Bishop around as well, even if Bishop works for the Marines.

That's basically it. Given that, why include the other authorized media? Because they give more details about these points, if not deal with discrepancies.

For example, in his audio commentary, Cameron explains that in the real world, the government and the military work with and for corporations, directly or indirectly, covertly or not, and he gives several examples. His intention was to show the same in the movie: the government depicted in it stands for that of the U.S. and W-Y for U.S. corporations that exploit others. That explains why Burke works covertly, like Ash sees personnel, if not the innocent, as expendable, and can order military personnel like Bishop around. In short, the movie mirrors reality.

And yet in some cases it doesn't. For example, when the location of the landing ship is implicitly revealed in the movie, one would think that Ripley would continue protesting her innocence and demand that they investigate the landing site even though they think it's a waste of time to do so. Why? Because in boards of inquiry or whatever it really was, the accused is seen as innocent until proven guilty. That was the only piece of evidence Ripley had that could prove that her story was true, and yet she didn't do anything about it.

The WYR tries to explain what happened by stating that W-Y doctored the flight recorder logs. That meant that they only showed that the ship landed but no location could be retrieved. That makes sense.

Meanwhile, other pieces of evidence, like the one that explains the origins of a reverse-engineering division, look superfluous because one would assume that in order to move from retrieval to research to manufacturing one would need reverse-engineering, among others.

Still other media end up creating more contradictions, and one example is Alien: Isolation, where it's revealed that flight recorder is retrieved (that means the one on Ripley's lifeboat is either another recorder or a computer with copies of the Nostromo logs) and that the distress beacon is even de-activated. Meanwhile, in another commentary (this time an article for a sci-fi magazine) Cameron counters his critics by stating that the reason why W-Y didn't find the derelict ship was because the distress beacon was damaged by volcanic activity.

Finally, one work presented by a forum member, which has the intro of another alien game, makes all other authorized media superfluous by stating that Burke was ordered to send an armed team to retrieve alien organisms, etc.

One more thing: FWIW, if there's anything that doesn't make sense, it's going to this thread and posting that one would rather do other things than post in this thread.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 28, 2023, 02:09:28 AM
Counter-counterpoint: that's a stupid idea and I hate it, and it's way funnier if a mod comes in and says "everyone believe whatever head-canon they want to believe" and locks the thread before Ralfy can post another 3,000-word screed about who the f**k cares.

Edit— acceptable alternate comedy options:
1. Keep the thread open, but make it so Ralfy can only post in this thread and nowhere else.
2. Keep the thread open, but force Ralfy to un-ignore everybody.
3. Keep the thread open, but make it so Ralfy can *only* see his own posts forum-wide and no one else's.
4. Keep the thread open, but give Ralfy a permanent avatar and forum signature of an image of the NECA Burke action figure with the caption "BURKE WORKED ALONE".

5. Rename the thread "ralfy's novel-bible-or-something" :'(
"

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

ralfy has a curious definition of trolling.  I can understand him ignoring me.  Everyone does it at some point.  I'm insufferable.  But how does he justify ignoring SM, SiL and Xenomrph?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 28, 2023, 05:05:26 AMralfy has a curious definition of trolling.  I can understand him ignoring me.  Everyone does it at some point.  I'm insufferable.  But how does he justify ignoring SM, SiL and Xenomrph?
I think the better question is why on god's green earth does he think repeating his point over and over (and over and over and over....) is going to convince anyone that he's right?

Like I'm halfway convinced Ralfy is the troll, or at least a gimmick account. I mean, if he is then he's kind of a shitty one (I've seen some extremely dedicated gimmick trolls who kept the gimmick going for literally over a decade on the SomethingAwful forums).

But hey, that's Poe's Law in action.

I stand by my request that locking this thread after telling everyone to enjoy their head-canon is one of the funnier possible outcomes in this situation. Like, we already know how it plays out if some random newbie stumbles into the thread, because we've seen it for nearly the last 20 pages.

The Egg on the Sulaco thread works because everyone is in on the joke and it's an extremely unserious thread at this point. This thread has one very very serious poster shouting into the void and ignoring his detractors while everyone else points and laughs; it's not funny, it's stupid and sad.

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 28, 2023, 05:05:26 AMralfy has a curious definition of trolling.  I can understand him ignoring me.  Everyone does it at some point.  I'm insufferable.  But how does he justify ignoring SM, SiL and Xenomrph?

To be fair I probably am and all.

oduodu

oduodu

ralfy is brilliant at marketing whatever he discusses. trump could use someone like him.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed