AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 685,452 times)

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Quote from: SamHain on Feb 04, 2010, 12:47:36 AM
I just dont think a alien is strong enough do something like that to a pred

Why not? They can easily break inches thick steel doors, dead lift fully geared marines. They are very strong (arguably much stronger than preds given the source material)

Just to make Grid win.

Yes, the "lead" alien. PWA killed Celtic in a manner that was consistent with the predators we had seen before.

QuoteI do taekwondo and boxing, and if it is a serious fight I really tend to think straight and not just me but a lot of people that I know that do some kind of fight.
If the hunter is 2,5 meter tail,  strong like hell, and have wristblades then I guess he have a chance

The hunter was taken off guard and put in a situation it had never been in and where it was at a big disadvantage.

Yep... Anderson made him that stupid

Except he didn't make that up, that was a trait that both main preds before him had. Also, he thought he had passed this elite test (without the shoulder cannon he was supposed to have for it), it would be understandable that he wanted to savor the moment.

QuoteHe went in the alien direction... not very smart if you ask me

His options were rather limited. He couldn't turn his back to the beast, so heading towards it was the best option at that moment. Also consider that they have never faced aliens before, he didn't exactly know what he was getting into.

QuoteIt showed that a pred could be lifted and throwed like nothing by a alien and his 3 meter magic tail

Again, the tail is just a goof. If it was standard length, the kill and throw would still be very possible. Aliens are strong, they can throw dead weight.

QuoteHe had armor and now a alien tail is stronger than a bullet? The normal aliens's tail weren't even suppose to be spear like... it was more a stinger tail

What SiL said.

QuoteAnytime and Pussyface had to lost so that the main character would win, Anderson decided to kill Celtic off just because he wanted to.

Anderson did it so the lead alien would win. Same thing.

QuoteAnd a alien is very different from a human, Anytime decided to have a good time with Dutch bacause he didn't have weapons but the alien is a... weapon in some way

The pred was unfamiliar with an alien and could easily be explained as savoring the moment he passed his test.

Quote from: Eidotemit on Feb 03, 2010, 08:21:56 PM

And you care about Paul Anderson opinion?

Not particularly. Considering though that it was his intent and what is being portrayed, it is rather crucial. They weren't inexperienced teenage preds, quite the opposite. "Teenage" was a metaphor.

So aliens can but not guns...

Yup. Why not? They are very strong.

What about the end of the fight, Celtic was planning to stab Grid anyway. But he could have used his spear or shuriken from far and his armor would protect him

Well, he didn't have his spear in that hole. Really, I think he just wanted to savor the kill (being that it was so important, he did it without the shoulder cannon, and that preds tend to do this with big kills).

He could have stay far from the alien and the pred's armor may protect Celtic

He tried to keep it away (with a bit of success), and it wouldn't have protected him. Even if it was acid proof (which it wasn't) it didn't cover his whole body. He would have gotten acid on him and died (or at least be very seriously injured and potentially crippled). Would have been a very stupid move.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: SamHain on Feb 04, 2010, 12:59:05 AM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Feb 04, 2010, 12:54:25 AM

So? John McTiernan and the Thomas brothers made Anytime cocky so that Dutch could win.

Dutch was the main character, the hero of the movie, he couldnt die.
But Anytime just got cocky because he was in total control of the situation againt a prey that couldn't even fight back, the Celtic vs Grid fight was different

Doesn't change the fact that they made the Predator cocky so that it could lose in a fight.

SamHain

SamHain

Quote from: SiL on Feb 04, 2010, 12:58:04 AM

Why?

Quote from: Eidotemit on Feb 04, 2010, 01:14:37 AM

Why not? They can easily break inches thick steel doors, dead lift fully geared marines. They are very strong (arguably much stronger than preds given the source material)

Preds are big, heavy and just as tall as the aliens, if the alien grabbed the pred with his hands and lifted him then maybe I would accept but only with his tail? No...

And advance the plot.

And Celtic is the one who have to suffer to ''advance the plot''? Poor pred... :P

I have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. My brother is a martial arts instructor. In a controlled fight, sure, you can think straight, but in a real fighting situation most of what you learn goes out the window.

Ever watched UFC? They spend forever explaining in detail all the training in all the wondrous martial arts and fighting styles these guys have, but it always comes down to them trying to punch each other in the dick. Why? Cos most of the time they're too pumped to do anything but swing and grapple.

You stick someone who's trained to hunt his prey into a hand to hand fight with one of his prey, and chances are he's going to freak. Hunting isn't about getting into fights.

I have a black belt too but in the end...  its just a belt.
Some fighters think straigh some not, but you cant really compare humans fighters to preds.

Using the whip to decapitate the Alien from behind. It does nothing, just wriggles a little bit. It's not even like the Predator was quiet about it.

Now that you mentioned it...

Quote from: SiL on Feb 04, 2010, 01:01:19 AM
Not really.

Grid was in a net. Far as Celtic knew, he was in total control of the situation against a prey that couldn't fight back.

Quote from: Eidotemit on Feb 04, 2010, 01:14:37 AM
Well, he didn't have his spear in that hole. Really, I think he just wanted to savor the kill (being that it was so important, he did it without the shoulder cannon, and that preds tend to do this with big kills).

Its a f**king alien... anyone with a brain would kill the alien as fast as possible if it was in  total control of the situation. Alien are much more dangerous than a unarmed human and I hoped Celtic knew that

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Feb 04, 2010, 01:14:49 AM
Doesn't change the fact that they made the Predator cocky so that it could lose in a fight.

I think there is a difference between being cocky againt a unarmed human and a alien

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

How would Celtic know that? He never fought one before. They don't have all the knowledge we have about them.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: SamHain on Feb 04, 2010, 01:17:18 AM

Why?

Preds are big, heavy and just as tall as the aliens, if the alien grabbed the pred with his hands and lifted him then maybe I would accept but only with his tail? No...

Why not with only its tail? On many creatures (monkeys, opossums, stegosaurus), the tail is one of the strongest appendages.

SamHain

SamHain

Quote from: Eidotemit on Feb 04, 2010, 01:19:54 AM
How would Celtic know that? He never fought one before. They don't have all the knowledge we have about them.

He was fighting one... and he didnt notice any difference between a alien and a human?

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Feb 04, 2010, 01:22:54 AM
Why not with only its tail? On many creatures (monkeys, opossums, stegosaurus), the tail is one of the strongest appendages.

Wait... did you just compared a alien to a monkey?

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Quote from: SamHain on Feb 04, 2010, 01:39:07 AM
He was fighting one... and he didnt notice any difference between a alien and a human?

Obviously he did. He still thought he had it trapped in a net though.

SamHain

SamHain

Quote from: Eidotemit on Feb 04, 2010, 02:02:23 AM

Obviously he did. He still thought he had it trapped in a net though.

Yep, but instead of killing the bastard he decided to go walk very slow... he was acting more like michael myers than a predator

SiL

SiL

Savouring the kill, just like the original Predator walking very slowly towards Dutch, despite knowing he had laid traps.

SM

SM

QuoteWait... did you just compared a alien to a monkey?

Wait.. is that a bad thing?  The tail is prehensile therefore has similarities.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SiL on Feb 04, 2010, 12:25:27 AM
Made him cocky.

Just to make Grid win.

So? John McTiernan and the Thomas brothers made Anytime cocky so that Dutch could win.

That's different. Dutch had script immunity. In AvP, the fight could've gone either way and given that Anderson is an admitted Alien fanboy...

SiL

SiL

Heaven forbid there was a plot to consider.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Meaning? Celtic had to die?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 04, 2010, 07:25:46 AM
Meaning? Celtic had to die?
Outside of satiating fanboys, pretty much.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 04, 2010, 06:53:44 AM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 04, 2010, 12:25:27 AM
Made him cocky.

Just to make Grid win.

That's different. Dutch had script immunity. In AvP, the fight could've gone either way and given that Anderson is an admitted Alien fanboy...

Celtic should have lost that fight though. The alien deserved to win the only hand to hand fight. Really that Celtic did so well and almost won, losing to overconfidence, is remarkable.

My problem with the two pred deaths isn't the manner in which they happen, but that they happen so close together.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed