Looming SAG-AFTRA strike throws a monkey wrench into Alien series production

Started by Gimitko, Jul 13, 2023, 09:12:38 AM

Author
Looming SAG-AFTRA strike throws a monkey wrench into Alien series production (Read 16,217 times)

Local Trouble

Immortan Jonesy

Thatguy2068

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

What Lies Ahead for Hollywood? Insiders Weigh In
What comes after peak TV? What's the next labor battle? Whose stories will still be told? THR asked four Hollywood players from different corners of the industry for their predictions on what a post-strike era might look like.

QuoteNoah Hawley on TV's Coming 'Clarity' Era

The last five years in Hollywood, as in America, have been defined by complexity. We've seen it both in the sophistication of prestige TV, and in the labyrinthine distribution systems we have to navigate in order to watch it. I think the next five years will place the emphasis on clarity. The audience of the near future will shy away from entertainment that feels too "real" — i.e., topical and morally ambiguous. At the same time, the market will consolidate. Five hundred shows will become 300. Ten streamers will become five. With fewer shows and films to watch, stars will become more meaningful in attracting audiences, with celebrity offering its own kind of clarity.

In this new phase of the business, viewers will gravitate toward stories that make sense to them, not ones where the imagined world, like our real one, is divided and hard to fathom. This doesn't have to mean a retreat to formulaic procedurals, but it will challenge storytellers to innovate inside a smaller box. My hope is that this emphasis on clarity will preserve the gains we've made in whose stories get told, but I think we'll see less demand for experimentation and creative risk overall. That said, I know filmmakers will rise to the challenge. Every Hollywood era has had its gems. I'm excited to see (and hopefully make) the classics of our future.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/hollywood-future-writers-actors-strikes-insider-predictions/the-new-playing-field/

kwisatz

kwisatz

Dunno, 'complex', 'morally ambiguous' TV for me is stuff like The Wire, Six Feet Under, Boardwalk Empire, Sopranos etc.

Not sure where he sees this kind of TV (in abundance) in the last five years?

BlueMarsalis79

Succession, Midnight Mass, Cyberpunk Edgerunners, and Fargo all come to mind, I am sure I am forgetting some as well.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Not a huge fan of Succession, but it's kind "objectively" good, I guess. Have to check out the rest.

Still, Sopranos and Rome alone have about as much Episodes as all the shows you've listed. I just don't really see the "defined by complexity" part (especially with lots of streaming series being more like the outright opposite of complex imo)

Gimitko

Gimitko

From his podcast appearances I remember that Noah thinks The Boys, Lovecraft Country and Station Eleven are "just ok, nothing special" and actively dislikes Yellowstone and its first prequel to the point of Fargo Season 5 being anti-Yellowstone with Jon Hamm playing a homicidal John Dutton type.

Scott Conover

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Oct 12, 2023, 08:08:34 PMhttps://twitter.com/sagaftra/status/1712368110253285730

You know Iger, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them f**king each other over for a goddamn percentage

Immortan Jonesy

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed