Prometheus & Alien Covenant no longer canon?

Started by Cougerboy, Jan 15, 2024, 08:49:31 AM

Author
Prometheus & Alien Covenant no longer canon? (Read 3,902 times)

Cougerboy

Well, if the latest news from the upcoming TV series is to be believed, there are strong hints that Prometheus & Alien Covenant are no longer considered official canon in the Alien series.

Prometheus and Alien Covenant have received...mixed reception at best. I actually like parts of both films, but overall...both were a bit "meh" to me. So wiping that from canon...well...I've have to see how Hawley does it.

But what do you think, is that a good or bad thing?

Rankles75

I'm perfectly fine with those films, and one or two others in the Alien series not being canon.

SiL

I mean this depends on if the TV series is canon or just more EU.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

If the tv series is set on earth about 70 years into the future with Aliens coming from a crashed Weyland-Yutani ship as the concept art suggests, then it sounds more like the series is just in its own little bubble.

And im fine with that.

The Cruentus

True it could be classed as EU, but even some eu materials have been canon.
Either way weat least have an idea what the show runner is going to do and if that ignores the prequels, I'm more than fine with that.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Cougerboy on Jan 15, 2024, 08:49:31 AMBut what do you think, is that a good or bad thing?

I don't think it's even a thing at all, in the way you've couched it.

marrerom

marrerom

I have heard nothing that says that Prometheus and Covenant aren't canon. Ignoring something is not the same as retconning. I also don't believe that Ridley would produce a show that "erases" his last 2 Alien movies.

The Cruentus

It depends, people can change their minds. Ridley already did. First he said that original the Engineers created the Alien, then he changed his mind saying it would more "interesting" for David to do so.

He also thought the Alien was cooked, then he said it wasn't.

Retropocalypse

I don't think Hawley will necessarily be erasing Prometheus and Covenant from canon. He just said he doesn't find them useful, so will probably ignore them.

We'll have to wait and see.

Nightmare Asylum

I don't forsee a future where they are straight up knocked out of continuity, a la AVP and AVPR.

I do forsee a future where details from the films are glossed over and retconned to be given new meaning that's different from what was originally intended, however.

Mike’s Monsters

They're still canon. Romulus connects them a tiny bit, but won't go into detail on that.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Jan 15, 2024, 06:07:29 PMThey're still canon. Romulus connects them a tiny bit, but won't go into detail on that.

I think I feel sick.  :laugh:

bobby brown

bobby brown

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Jan 15, 2024, 06:07:29 PMThey're still canon. Romulus connects them a tiny bit, but won't go into detail on that.

It's cool and all you know stuff and share it. but please tone it down.

Acid_Reign161

Interesting! That means either;

1. The TV show is in a separate continuity from Romulus and the Prequel movies.

Or;

2. They're all in the same continuity, but David simply created a Xenomorph rather than the Xenomorph.

And either of those are perfectly acceptable to me. 😁👍

Mike’s Monsters

Totally.

I'll say they aren't going to just drop Prometheus and Covenant. They're too big of (and too new) additions to the franchise to just let go of. It's just how they write around those films going forward. They can choose to ignore and not acknowledge, but doesn't mean they are no longer part of the franchise. The Predator is no less an entry than PREY is, and yet, we can choose to not acknowledge it, and I think the studio will too going forward.

And I'm also just echoing what Perfect Organism has shared in the past with the films all being connected. Not giving too much away or how it's all linked at all.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsZvvKGOQd_/?igsh=ZDE1MWVjZGVmZQ==

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed