David Fincher talks Alien 3 (briefly) in this month's issue of Empire Magazine

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Oct 07, 2023, 12:59:15 PM

Author
David Fincher talks Alien 3 (briefly) in this month's issue of Empire Magazine (Read 15,726 times)

Nightmare Asylum

This comes from a list the magazine published of some of his most iconic shots from across his body of films, and for Alien 3 he was asked about this shot in particular:

Quote"The one shot that Fox was happy to put in the trailer: the Alien's filing-cabinet drawer opening on Sigourney [Weaver]'s face. I always knew we wanted to do it and it never looked the way I wanted it to. I wanted to light all behind her. It should have been two shapes in silhouette, we should have had more coverage of it, and we didn't - mostly because we were spending all our f**king time trying to shoot plates for the rod puppet side of the thing. I think we had an hour-and-a-half to get that. But it's powerful, because it's a powerful idea."

I couldn't find a scan of the article itself, so I had to source the quote from this video.

Corporal Hicks

I'll see if I can find a copy of Empire tomorrow when I'm out.

426Buddy

Wow, this feels like the most he's ever said about the film since it was released, right?

Corporal Hicks

Neila

everyone knows that Fincher hates the movie. it wasn't realized the way he wanted it to be. with all due respect to Fincher, he should not forget that he was chosen for Seven because of his directing work and his implementation of the
dark mood of Alien 3.  (source: making of seven)
I personally like Alien 3 a lot,
The assembly cut in particular is an absolute compensation for fans of the film.
Let everyone else continue to complain about how bad the movie is while praising really bad films to the sky

oduodu

listen to the rex picket podcast. then you will  understand  why he hates the movie.

Neila

I understand that he hates the film because of its many problems. Initially, Fincher had a wonderful vision but he wasn't allowed to implement it. Additionally, he was reportedly fired from the set multiple times. It's just that there are a lot of reports on the internet about Alien 3 that say:
"This film is so bad, even the director hates it!" and that's just stupid and shows bad reporting by idiots

Even if the film didn't turn out the way Fincher would have liked, at least the assembly cut is still a great film with a dark mood and a cold hopelessness, a brilliant soundtrack, and a cool alien and set design

SiL

The assembly cut is just a longer bad movie.

Wweyland

I also saw the video from Alien Theory, but nice that Fincher at least talks about it!

jacobo1122

It's nice to see Fincher opening up about Alien 3 a little. I know that he went through hell during its production, but I always thought that he should be proud that despite all the shit he experienced, he still managed to make good, distinct, moody and atmospheric movie. This experience also helped him become the director he is now. It surely have strenghten his will and helped to develope his style.

ED-E

I think he doesn't really avoid talking about Alien³. Over the past 30 years he commented on Alien³ over all these things in random interviews. Alien³ comes more often up in interviews than most of his other previous movies. Even with his late 1992 interview he broke a common myth that he hated Alien³:

"Fincher and his screenwriter Larry Ferguson set their ambitions slightly higher. 'I want people to realise that I'm not embarrassed by the film, there are certain things in it I really like. At least we were taking some chances.' "

and

"You know,' he concludes, 'if I make 10 shitty movies, I'll deserve the flak and if I go on to make 10 great ones, this'll probably be looked upon as my first bungled masterpiece.'"

source: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/interview-a-real-horror-show-the-filming-of-alien-3-was-a-nightmare-for-its-director-david-fincher-mark-burman-reports-1541578.html

I do think however he doesn't care as much over Alien³ as we do. I mean other than the drama, it wasn't even a project he was involved in from start to finish. It's a difference to work years on a project or finish someone elses project and have very limited influence over it. Alien³ was already weeks into pre production when he signed on, going in to film an incomplete script which he didn't liked and then leaving early in post. Most of the gist we already got out of him, what do we really want to know from him at that point?

Neila

This experience also helped him become the director he is now. It surely have strenghten his will and helped to develope his style.
@jacobo1122:

that's how you should see it.
Of course, we don't know what really happened behind the scenes.
The film shows Fincher's unique and, above all, uncompromising style. Alien 3 wasn't a failure at the box office either - overall it grossed just as much as the first two entries.
A really good film which, under different conditions and Fincher being solely responsible, could have become an absolute masterpiece.

BlueMarsalis79

The Assembly Cut's just a better good film.

SM

BlueMarsalis79

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed