The Black Keys

Started by Space Sweeper, Oct 11, 2011, 09:01:33 PM

Author
The Black Keys (Read 7,376 times)

SpaceMarines

Finally listened to it. Enjoyed the album considerably. Favourite two songs have to be Little Black Submarines and Mind Eraser. LBM's probably #1 for me. It was just so much different than the other songs, starting out as a slow acoustic song with instruments gradually being added, until finally breaking out into an electric rock song. Most of the other tracks sounded pretty similar, so this one was a nice change of pace.

Least favourite is definitely Dead and Gone. Just didn't much care for it's sound.

I'm getting f**king sick of Lonely Boy, though. I loved it when it was first released, I listened to it all the time. But now, every time I turn on the radio, that f**king song is playing. It's goddamn everywhere!

Keg

Radio could potentially turn Lonely Boy into The Black Keys very own Sex On Fire. A blessing and a curse.

They've been heading towards a more accessible, pop friendly sound for the past three albums and just like Kings of Leon, its only took one song to suddenly explode into the mainstream and get played on the radio 15 times a day.

SpaceMarines

Yeah, I've definitely noticed a more pop sound, especially on this album. Not necessarily a bad thing; they've just got to remember their Blues roots.

Keg

I'd say Strange Times was the first song you could notice it on. Then on the next album theres was 2 or 3 songs that could have easily been on a Radio 1 playlist. This latest album is choc full of them.

And for the record I absolutely love Lonely Boy so I hope I dont get sickened by its radio play.

SpaceMarines

I'm just avoiding radio for awhile; seems the only solution.

adb142

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jan 09, 2012, 12:45:39 AM
I'm just avoiding radio for awhile always; seems the only solution.

Space Sweeper

Thank Christ I don't listen to the radio...

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jan 08, 2012, 08:49:42 PM
Least favourite is definitely Dead and Gone. Just didn't much care for it's sound.
Honestly, I'm surprised.  :laugh:

It's my favorite at the moment.

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jan 09, 2012, 09:30:26 AM
Thank Christ I don't listen to the radio...

Spent a lot of time driving through the country, this past week. Not much else to do.

Nightmare Asylum

Don't think I ever posted in here, but I bought the album a few weeks back. Nova Baby is without a doubt my favorite on the album, followed closely by Little Black Submarines.

Between the two albums of theirs I've listened to in their entirety, I think my favorite Black Keys songs are probably These Days and nova Baby. I really need to pick up some of their older stuff, though.

Space Sweeper

Nova Baby, F'YEAH.

And lately, These Days has been floating around my top favorites of theirs along with My Mind is Ramblin'.

Nightmare Asylum

For me, I heard both of those songs on youtube before purchasing their respective album, but when I heard those two songs...wow. They just hit me. Without a doubt my favorite songs by them so far.

SpaceMarines

I think mine remains Unknown Brother. Few songs have ever been able to stir my emotions as much as that.

You should definitely check out their early stuff, though. It's much different than their more recent pop-y sound; Bluesy and kickass.

Space Sweeper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ33OXxFIAM#ws

Thinking about it, this is probably my top favorite of theirs. It's got the feel of Unknown Brother, but with the theme of a different kind of love; Dan's passion coming across equally strong.

I can't believe the number of people I've shown this song to that'd never heard it before.

SpaceMarines

Bluesy as Hell, I love that song. Wish they'd had one or two like that on El Camino.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Yeah, the main thing I missed from El Camino was the slow emotional beats... sure there were ones with some pretty clear emotion (Sister, Dead & Gone, and Nova Baby particularly), but there wasn't anything like These Days, Things Aint Like They Used To Be, Unknown Brother, Never Gonna Give You Up, etc (choices from Attack & Release and Brothers). Those always made the albums for me.

El Camino's true grace shows in how much it makes you want to dance (or just dance, in my case  :laugh:), and there-in, it's really quite spectacular. I'll dance up a storm, but I'll never just sit still, swelling with emotions, as the previous two albums did for me (which seemed in similar balance).

Edit: Thread title changed for wider Black Keys discussion relevance.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed