Parthenogenesis

Started by Xenorgue, Jan 09, 2012, 07:33:32 PM

Author
Parthenogenesis (Read 2,658 times)

aliennaire

aliennaire

Yes, whatever the facehugger's main function is - to fertilize its host with the cells or to thrust the ready embryo inside someone that it could grow up here - it seems, that these species are not autonomous and need to merge with new, fresh beings to procreate themselves.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 16, 2012, 07:20:56 PM
An interesting conundrum is what might have resulted if Ripley's clone had been successfully impregnated by the facehugger leaping at her. She's partially Alien. It could have potentially reset the genetic balance of the offspring, more or less.

I assume, that new Queen and Newborn from A:R were apparently more weak, than their predecessors, seen in the previous films, so I don't think clone's Alien would be any better too...  ;)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: aliennaire on Jan 16, 2012, 08:30:29 PM
I assume, that new Queen and Newborn from A:R were apparently more weak, than their predecessors,
Based on?

SM

SM

The fact that Ripley was stronger than a normal human could indicate that conversely the Queen was weaker than a normal Alien.

And the Newborn was just that (in terms of it's soft fleshy frame).  In terms of physical strength it shows no signs of weakness.

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 17, 2012, 06:40:55 PM
Quote from: aliennaire on Jan 16, 2012, 08:30:29 PM
I assume, that new Queen and Newborn from A:R were apparently more weak, than their predecessors,
Based on?

Just observation, which the film offers. Well, the fact that Queen can feel pain now doesn't make her more capable, pain usually paralyzes, and later you see Queen's head is quite easily sliced off by Newborn.

As SM said,
Quote from: SM on Jan 19, 2012, 03:12:17 AM
And the Newborn was just that (in terms of it's soft fleshy frame).
I have doubts, that regular human could have be pulled out through that little hole into the outer space, Newborn seems to have kind of gelatinous structure to be done so... Thus it wouldn't be so resistent to "adverse environmental conditions", which is one of the Alien's features, praised by Ash.  ;)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

The Queen felt pain in Aliens too, and let's not forget it is giving birth to an eight-feet tall being, I bet that's not exactly easy to handle.
The fact the Newborn can slap the Queen's jaw of is an X here, it can be because the Queen is weaker, yes, but it can also mean the Newborn is considerably strong. The only thing I can actually give is it being sucked out. I think that if the pressure was enough, a human would suffer the same fate.
The other Aliens didn't seem to be in any way less dangerous than the previous incarnations, too.

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

Quote from: aliennaire on Jan 19, 2012, 08:34:01 AM
I have doubts, that regular human could have be pulled out through that little hole into the outer space

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 19, 2012, 05:38:45 PM
I think that if the pressure was enough, a human would suffer the same fate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin#Accidents_and_incidents

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Jan 19, 2012, 05:43:15 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin#Accidents_and_incidents

Damnit, it's an awful incident...

Spoiler
Diver D4 was shot out through the small jammed hatch door opening and was torn to pieces. Subsequent investigation by forensic pathologists determined D4, being exposed to the highest pressure gradient, violently exploded due to the rapid and massive expansion of internal gases. All of his thoracic and abdominal organs, and even his thoracic spine were ejected, as were all of his limbs. Simultaneously, his remains were expelled through the narrow trunk opening left by the jammed chamber door, less than 60 centimetres (24 in) in diameter. Fragments of his body were found scattered about the rig. One part was even found lying on the rig's derrick, 10 metres (30 ft) directly above the chambers. His death was most likely instantaneous and painless.
[close]

Though, the whole was 60 cm in diameter...
RIP poor diver anyway...

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 19, 2012, 05:38:45 PM
The Queen felt pain in Aliens too, and let's not forget it is giving birth to an eight-feet tall being, I bet that's not exactly easy to handle.

Well, we actually don't know whether Aliens' Queen was hurt by tearing her egg sack away, or she was just infuritated by explosions (inside her ovipositor as well). Egg laying procces allows her to fall asleep, so maybe she doesn't feel this organ at all. While, as I said earlier, in A:R Ripley declares Queen is in pain. Baby head's circumference is the main factor for human labour, if the head can go through, then the rest of body will too, because baby's bones and backbone are yet lithe on this phase, but the delivery in A:R was accomplished in some kind of natural section (Newborn rent Queen's hide and got out). By the way, maybe it was implied, that his skeleton was unhardened by that time, and hence he was sucked away through the little hole.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: aliennaire on Jan 19, 2012, 09:50:30 PM
Well, we actually don't know whether Aliens' Queen was hurt by tearing her egg sack away, or she was just infuritated by explosions (inside her ovipositor as well).
I'm not actually talking about that, though that's an X as well.
I was more like talking about the powerloader fight. When Ripley bitchslaps the Queen, she screams - and she also retreats from the fire Ripley shoves down her mouth.

Baby head's circumference is the main factor for human labour, if the head can go through, then the rest of body will too, because baby's bones and backbone are yet lithe on this phase,
The Newborn doesn't exactly have the structure of a standard human baby.

By the way, maybe it was implied, that his skeleton was unhardened by that time, and hence he was sucked away through the little hole.
Perhaps, like human babies have fontanels.

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 20, 2012, 09:34:16 AM
I'm not actually talking about that, though that's an X as well.
I was more like talking about the powerloader fight. When Ripley bitchslaps the Queen, she screams - and she also retreats from the fire Ripley shoves down her mouth.

The truth to tell, I chose this instance deliberately, because it shows the part of their natural cycle of life (preparing eggs/giving birth to live offspring), which is not influenced by any external force, so gives easier way to compare two alike conditions. As for the Queen's fight against the poweloader - she starts to screech straight away after being asked to leave Newt in a hardly polite manner, and - once again - I'm not sure if Queen is sending back her curces to Ripley or expresses suffering of pain later, when she screams next time. Also I don't know what precisely caused retreating of her maw - was it the heat or the light, produced by fire ("They mostly come at night, mostly"). We've never seen flamethrowers to be successfully used on Alien in the original film, but it kind of hid away off those flashing lights, sneaking into the lifeboat.

Peace, OmegaZilla  :)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

'Peace'? No one is pissed off here. ;)

Well, of course laying an egg and giving birth to an 8-feet-tall thing is something widely different. I thought you were talking about when Ripley damages the eggsac, however.
The screeches were likely intimidating sounds, but I don't see how it would not be an 'ouch' when the Powerloader slaps her. Let's not forget the Powerloader can lift considerable weights, so a bitchslap from it would hurt.

SM

SM

Quotebet that's not exactly easy to handle.
The fact the Newborn can slap the Queen's jaw of is an X here, it can be because the Queen is weaker, yes, but it can also mean the Newborn is considerably strong.

It opened the Betty hatch with physics working against it.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

I'd like to point out that what happened to the Newborn is not the same was what happened to those divers.

There have been people exposed to the vacuum of space before. One person had damage to their suit, and their skin sealed the opening. They reported that it hurt, and the area was red, but it was not lethal.

SM

SM

A hole that size on the Betty would've made a nasty blister on a human.  Lambert was to suffer a similar fate in Alien at one point from memory and I recall someone around the time commenting that it was impossible to sucked out through such a small hole.  Perez was going to get sucked out in the same manner too, until JPJ said such a spectacular death should be saved for a more important character or point in the film (or something similar).

In the case of the Newborn was can reason that it's only like 10 minutes old or something, and not terribly robust.

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

the newborn had acid blood, that contributed to it too.

SM

SM

I daresay that and the force of it's bits being sucked out made the hole larger.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed